Kirk Cousins Thread: Keep, Cut, Trade?

gopherwrestler

10 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

If that information was meant to reassure fans that we got a good HC for Cousins, it would have come out a) right when KOC was the speculated new HC or b) when KOC is introduced at his press conference. 

the fact that it comes out right after the Pro Bowl, means it more likely was targeted information for non-SB particpant Team management to think about the information and speak to KAM. 

No. It means that to you. Again, there is no need for negotiation in the media. 

The NFL thrives on publicity, soundbites, and creating content for its network. This statement was almost assuredly a puff piece statement that was made because said QB was playing in the game and there's a new coach. Occam's razor. 

• Like 1

I still believe the greatest likelihood is that Kirk Cousins does, in fact, agree to an extension that reduces his cap number and pushes it all out 2-3 years until another young QB can be found to replace him.  While I certainly would prefer just to move on, it just seems that the greater likelihood is that it doesn't happen. I don't believe the Schefter report was put out there for any ulterior motive other than to say that...that it's the most likely situation.  I'm sure they'd listen if an offer was presented, but it would certainly have to blow them away to move on from him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I still believe the greatest likelihood is that Kirk Cousins does, in fact, agree to an extension that reduces his cap number and pushes it all out 2-3 years until another young QB can be found to replace him.  While I certainly would prefer just to move on, it just seems that the greater likelihood is that it doesn't happen. I don't believe the Schefter report was put out there for any ulterior motive other than to say that...that it's the most likely situation.  I'm sure they'd listen if an offer was presented, but it would certainly have to blow them away to move on from him.

Hit the nail right on the head. 

• Like 1

Paul Allen did say there was a trade out there to get Kirk to LA for Goff, so it really doesn't surprise me.

I think a big part of him being here is they aren't exactly sure how to get out of the contract and still have it financially stable.

We all say trade, but you still have to find the team willing to do it, and in reality they have to be willing to redo his contract also.

• Like 1

To trade him, and get compensation worthy of moving on from him, we would have to extend and eat some of his cap hit via that prorated signing bonus hitting our cap.  To clear the full amount possibe for Cousins contract, we would have to take a lesser return, or attach assets to him to get a better asset.

His contract is prohibitive on a number of levels.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Vikings cap situation aside, what do people think is a fair cap hit for Cousins?

If his cap hit was closer to his APY ($33M) I think that would be fair for a fringe top 10 QB, statistically.

16 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Look at the QBs in that pay range and then say that's fair for Cousins. 

Tannehill - Ryan - Wentz - Goff. 

Cousins' fair "floor" is $30M. Likely $35. 

Stafford. Carr. Garoppolo. 

Edited by SemperFeist