Kirk Cousins Thread: Keep, Cut, Trade?

gopherwrestler

Just now, twslhs20 said:

He also wasn't a starter the majority of that time. His mistakes kept him on the bench. He's been a better player as he has matured. Same can be said for Tannahill, and other QBs. It's rare, but it happens.

Cousins got better with more experience too.

21 hours ago, RpMc said:

To trade him, and get compensation worthy of moving on from him, we would have to extend and eat some of his cap hit via that prorated signing bonus hitting our cap.  To clear the full amount possibe for Cousins contract, we would have to take a lesser return, or attach assets to him to get a better asset.

His contract is prohibitive on a number of levels.

By saying "we", what it actually meant the "new team" will agree to such an extension with Kirk. Vikings are not going to independent agree to extend him (and then try and find a trade partner). It should be done as a combined move (extension + trade)

22 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It should also be noted that, as of now, Ryan Fitzpatrick is the oldest QB in the NFL...and never really has been a full-time starter.  Would I want that on this team at this time?  Absolutely not.  If you want Fitzpatrick-lite, go with @Uncle Buck's guy, Gardner Minshew.  

"..., as of now,..." he is the oldest?  Is there a QB aging faster that could pass him?  😃

2 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Option A: Keep Cousins at $45M Cap hit

Option B: Trade Cousins for 1st ( + Sign Mariota at $10M one year) + net $25M extra cap space ($45-$10-$10)  

Option B is a no brainer type of move in my opinion (whether the pick compensation is a 1st or high 2nd)

Does it have to be Mariota? There are cheaper QBs that I would probably rather have than Mariota.

But I might have a lower opinion of Mariota as a QB than some. My opinion of him as a QB is really low.

If they deal him and get a placeholder, I would rather have a young guy with some kind of upside, than an older player who is what he is. That belief comes from the thought neither would be all that good, but at least a younger guy MIGHT turn into something. If they deal Kirk, I think they are starting over, so I don't need a "good" placeholder. I understand others disagree, and I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here....

44 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I've never been that fond of Mariota either.  I'd actually rather have Trubisky than Mariota.  I like his skill-set much better.  

Same player, to me. each has something that the other doesn't, but the net outcome is roughly the same. Maybe Trubisky has grown some from being in Buffalo, though?