Kirk Cousins Thread: Keep, Cut, Trade?

gopherwrestler

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

Option A: Keep Cousins at $45M Cap hit

Option B: Trade Cousins for 1st ( + Sign Mariota at $10M one year) + net $25M extra cap space ($45-$10-$10)  

Option B is a no brainer type of move in my opinion (whether the pick compensation is a 1st or high 2nd)

You're not getting a first for Cousins if the team has to eat the entire $35M that doesn't hit the Vikings cap.

Can the Vikings and Cousins agree to adding a void year to his current contract? 

Add a void year, convert $20M of his salary to a signing bonus, and kick it into the void year. Cousins gets a chunk of money immediately, and gets to hit free agency in 2023. The Vikings can lower his 2022 cap hit to $25M, and carry a $20M dead cap hit in 2023. 

Is this even allowed?

16 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Can the Vikings and Cousins agree to adding a void year to his current contract? 

Add a void year, convert $20M of his salary to a signing bonus, and kick it into the void year. Cousins gets a chunk of money immediately, and gets to hit free agency in 2023. The Vikings can lower his 2022 cap hit to $25M, and carry a $20M dead cap hit in 2023. 

Is this even allowed?

@Krauserseems to believe it is allowed

8 hours ago, RpMc said:

You're not getting a first for Cousins if the team has to eat the entire $35M that doesn't hit the Vikings cap.

The recent comparable QB trades say otherwise, even if the money doesn’t completely match up. The profile of a team trading for Kirk is a “win now” team, so anything is possible. if it’s not at least a top 40 pick, Vikings won’t do it in my opinion.

8 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Is this even allowed?

I believe Cousins needs to agree to do this, and its questionable If he would based on his contract history. 

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

The recent comparable QB trades say otherwise, even if the money doesn’t completely match up. The profile of a team trading for Kirk is a “win now” team, so anything is possible. if it’s not at least a top 40 pick, Vikings won’t do it in my opinion.

Sorry,  not true. The Lions only got the haul they got for Stafford due to taking on the remainder of Goff’s contract as well. You want a first or more for Cousins, you’re either going to have to take a bad contract back or lessen the blow to the other team like the Broncos did with Von Miller. 

There are only five or six teams that can absorb that $35M hit; Miami, LAC, Jacksonville, Cincinnati, and the Jets are teams with high cap space and no reason to trade for Cousins. The Broncos are set to have $40M or so in space and could be a reasonable destination, but the trade as you outlined would leave them with $5M to fill out their roster and sign their pick. Good luck getting a first rounder while trying to sell that to them as no one else would be competing with them to drive the price. 

The Broncos don’t really have any “bad” contracts to send back, so now you’d have to sign Cousins to a deal with an additional signing bonus so that we eat it when he’s traded (ala Von Miller this year), take a lesser asset(s) back for him, or attach another asset to him. 

—————

I’m not saying that you can’t get, or he’s not worth, a first round pick. But to expect to get a first AND clear $35M in cap space is a fantasy. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

Not an unfair argument. But he is vaccinated and Cousins isn't. Not that, that is a wash, but also something to consider. Along with the other knuckle draggers on the team.

"Knuckle draggers"...yikes.

Edited by SteelKing728
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RpMc said:

Sorry,  not true. The Lions only got the haul they got for Stafford due to taking on the remainder of Goff’s contract as well. You want a first or more for Cousins, you’re either going to have to take a bad contract back or lessen the blow to the other team like the Broncos did with Von Miller. 

There are only five or six teams that can absorb that $35M hit; Miami, LAC, Jacksonville, Cincinnati, and the Jets are teams with high cap space and no reason to trade for Cousins. The Broncos are set to have $40M or so in space and could be a reasonable destination, but the trade as you outlined would leave them with $5M to fill out their roster and sign their pick. Good luck getting a first rounder while trying to sell that to them as no one else would be competing with them to drive the price. 

The Broncos don’t really have any “bad” contracts to send back, so now you’d have to sign Cousins to a deal with an additional signing bonus so that we eat it when he’s traded (ala Von Miller this year), take a lesser asset(s) back for him, or attach another asset to him. 

—————

I’m not saying that you can’t get, or he’s not worth, a first round pick. But to expect to get a first AND clear $35M in cap space is a fantasy. 

Stafford trade = 2 1st (one was roughly to take back Goff)

Wentz trade = ended up being 1st + 3rd

Bradford trade (while not entirely comparable) still ended up being a 1st + 3rd (or 4th)

These are the most recent QB trades with bigger contracts. To think the Vikings won’t receive at worst a conditional 2nd (likely to be elevated to a 1st based on snap count) doesn’t seem to jive with the most recent transactions. If they are not offered this, they likely don’t make the deal. KAM needs to also use comparable trades to ensure he doesn’t get low-balled in future trades. It’s not only about sheer “worth”, it’s also about available options in the market place within the next 14 days (and what the teams know at that moment). 

all it takes if one team (who wants to upgrade their QB with a known product) to do their due diligence and inquire about the actual QB options: Wilson (SEA says no trade), Rodgers (AR camp /GB says no decision forthcoming), Watson (ownership says no), Jimmy (SF says a 2nd maybe), then what? They call up KAM … then they weigh the option of Jimmy (for a 2nd) or Cousins (for more, based on KAM discussions)

Edited by CriminalMind

46 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Stafford trade = 2 1st (one was roughly to take back Goff)

Wentz trade = ended up being 1st + 3rd

Bradford trade (while not entirely comparable) still ended up being a 1st + 3rd (or 4th)

Not one of those is comparable based on a dollars and cents perspective.  The Eagles ATE $33M in a dead cap charge to move Wentz.  That has to be factored into comps as well.

Again, I don't think you're asking for too much compensation, but in order to get it, you're going to have to eat some of Kirk's contract, or find another way to mitigate his cap hit to the new team.

11 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I mean if a team is win now, as are we, why would they believe we want to trade Cousins for that reason. 

if his former QB coach that came to Minnesota doesn’t want him, why would another team want him? Or at least give up a 1st for him.

i honestly just don’t see a way me move him for a 1st without eating a fairly decent chunk of his cap.

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I mean if a team is win now, as are we, why would they believe we want to trade Cousins for that reason. 

if his former QB coach that came to Minnesota doesn’t want him, why would another team want him? Or at least give up a 1st for him.

i honestly just don’t see a way me move him for a 1st without eating a fairly decent chunk of his cap.

It's not a guarantee that the Vikings are in win-now mode... regardless of what ownership says to the media. They brought in KAM for a different vision, and I'm hard-pressed to believe they brought in a new leader, just to run back the same roster (especially the top heavy salary players). Timing is everything, and we might not have our ducks lined up right now (eventually, if KAM makes big changes) in 2022, to support a win-now approach.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RpMc said:

The Broncos are set to have $40M or so in space and could be a reasonable destination, but the trade as you outlined would leave them with $5M to fill out their roster and sign their pick.

Surely a team trading for Cousins would be extending him. That's where I get a little confused with the salary needing to be retained. The trading team can do whatever they want with his contract to make their books work. Perhaps I'm being naive?