Raiders moving on from GM Mike Mayock

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think Mike had a lot more to do with personnel decisions, especially who we drafted, then people will acknowledge or accept. And his draft history when he worked in an NFL front office definitely hurts his persona as a "draft guru."

We'll probably never really know who really had the power? The HC with a 10 year contract telling Mayock who I want. Or the GM hired afterwards caterering to whatever Mr. God Complex wanted?

Anyone thinkink Gruden didn't have a say in the draft or FA is fooling themselves.  Gruden of all people had a vision (blind as a bat) but vision of the players he needed to succeed. Think that's who he had Mike target.

Hence several of their 1st rd picks and horrific FA signings. What I'm fairly certain of though is Mayock was probably responsible for most of their mid to late rd gems found. I  don't for a second think Gruden was responsible for finding them.

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

We'll probably never really know who really had the power? The HC with a 10 year contract telling Mayock who I want. Or the GM hired afterwards caterering to whatever Mr. God Complex wanted?

Anyone thinkink Gruden didn't have a say in the draft or FA is fooling themselves.  Gruden of all people had a vision (blind as a bat) but vision of the players he needed to succeed. Think that's who he had Mike target.

Hence several of their 1st rd picks and horrific FA signings. What I'm fairly certain of though is Mayock was probably responsible for most of their mid to late rd gems found. I  don't for a second think Gruden was responsible for finding them.

I definitely think that Gruden had the final say in our personnel moves but Mayock was second in command. I mean Mayock has went on record saying that Ferrell, Arnette, and Leatherwood were his picks. Ferrell because he fit our former DC's scheme and Leatherwood because he was our OL's favorite player in the draft. 

For both Gruden/Mayock I think that their biggest issue was their blind faith in the assistant coaches. We regularly reached for need based on who our positional coaches preferences. We saw it with Ferrell, Abram, Ruggs, Arnette, and Leatherwood.

And with that in mind I'd credit Gus Bradley for our mid-round gems, players like Hobbs, Deablo, Koonce, Moehrig all fit GB's scheme to a tee. And while Mayock did find some gems in the middle-rounds, outside of like 2-3 guys even most of his mid-round picks were complete flops.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

This is based on absolutely nothing though isn't it? Find it odd people acknowledge Gruden was an egomanial control freak but then let 5 draft picks a year be sorted by someone else.

All the Raider insiders said that the first round busts were often positional coach picks, and that Mayock basically delegated to them which is terrible. Also Ferrell was a pick he was huge on, he wanted to trade down but couldn't and just drafted him anyway because Guenther liked him 

13 hours ago, Falconof Shadows said:

Feel like he got a raw deal. It was clear all decisions were made by gruden. I truly don't think may I actually got to make any pics he wanted to. The pics that the Raiders took don't go by the same formula that may upgraded players when he did his top fives NFL Network

Common misconception:

The two biggest disasters fall on Mayock. In 2019, he was confident the Raiders could trade down from the No. 4 slot and pick Clemson defensive end Clelin Ferrell somewhere in the teens. When no trade became available, the Raiders wound up taking Ferrell, a character guy without much twitch, with the No. 4 pick.

Arnette had red flags coming into the draft and was considered a reach at No. 19, but Mayock said he did more homework on Arnette than any other player ever. Besides his maturity issues, Arnette wasn’t very good. 

All told, the Raiders had 13 picks in the top 100 selections in the past three years and have two projected starters to show for it in safety Tre’von Moehrig and Jacobs (with Abram, Mullen, Edwards and Divine Deablo as maybes). 

Gruden often gave Mayock a hard time about the Ferrell pick as well as some of the other misses, staffers in the building say, but the two seemed to always iron things out despite rumors that Mayock might be gone after the 2019 and 2020 seasons.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Lol a couple of months ago a narrative started to form with this idea that Mayock made the good picks and all the bad ones were Gruden 

Think the reality is most likely somewhere in the middle.

In his defence Mayock owned the Arnette pick, which was a major failure because everyone knew about those red flags. Some of the others we still don’t know about, but given his fascination with Clemson I think it’s fair to assume he also was heavily involved in the Ferrell and Renfrow picks - which are obviously at complete ends of the success scale.

1 hour ago, Ghostnote said:

Drafting for a single team vs. contacting teams to find out what they are going after is a huge difference. 

Yep, those guys barely scout they canvas opinions and aggregate then probably throw some of their experience in with comparing to prior prospects.