Raiders moving on from GM Mike Mayock

RaidersAreOne

8 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

With so many questionable first round picks, I have a hard time believing that they weren't influenced by Gruden.

Quite possible.  Gruden is a forceful guy.  It was a gut punch to Raider watchers, though;  I couldn't find a single pundit or mock draft that listed Leatherwood ahead of Darrisaw, and many weren't close.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

797e02aedf150ebf48d36e234afa6d11.gif 

4 hours ago, Dome said:

One of the better gif usages i've seen. nice.

i think i made the exact same face when i read it.

So reports from inside the building that Gruden would often give Mayock a hard time for pushing to take Ferrell #4 overall are wrong? You guys work for the team? Who are we going to hire my boys?

I'm just of the opinion. How much say does a GM (Mike Mayock) actually have when Jon Gruden had final say on player personnel?

Honest question. Who else has or had that in the NFL? Where the HC has final say "over" the GM? What other examples of success or lack there of are out there? Curious?

34 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Quite possible.  Gruden is a forceful guy.  It was a gut punch to Raider watchers, though;  I couldn't find a single pundit or mock draft that listed Leatherwood ahead of Darrisaw, and many weren't close.

I would like to think that when Gruden was brought in, they basically just gave him the keys to the team. I dont' think he'd want to relinquish rights. He had a nice, cozy job making a boatload of cash in the booth so I don't think he'd step away from that unless it was ridiculously enticing. I don't think we'll truly ever know though. I just know that Mayock, in his past, had been an amazing talent evaluator. A lot of those picks were too interesting to not raise a red flag IMO

32 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

So reports from inside the building that Gruden would often give Mayock a hard time for pushing to take Ferrell #4 overall are wrong? You guys work for the team? Who are we going to hire my boys?

I'm not sure what you're getting at. I'd give Mayock a hard time for that too? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I'm just of the opinion. How much say does a GM (Mike Mayock) actually have when Jon Gruden had final say on player personnel?

Honest question. Who else has or had that in the NFL? Where the HC has final say "over" the GM? What other examples of success or lack there of are out there? Curious?

Pete Carroll, Bill Belicheck, Kyle Shannahan 

• Like 1

Just now, MikeT14 said:

Nah that gif was about this part: 

I should have bolded it. 

Gotcha. Gruden was certainly terrible when it came to personnel decisions but it also didn't help that he hired a GM who had zero front office experience. It was truly like the blind leading the blind for us the last 4 seasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Matt Rhule has final say over the 53-man roster here.