The GM Thread: Raiders hire Zeigler

RaidersAreOne

I get we had to move on from Mayock but idk why the board/fan base has to turn nasty towards him.

He made some big mistakes sure but he was a member of this franchise.

2 years ago I said Mayock should be on the hot seat (but said I still support him) and was told I don’t know what I’m talking about.  I broke down in detail all of The wasted draft capital (blown picks, cost of not trading down when there were trades available, etc), as well As the wasted salary cap space.  Funny how everyone jumps On board 6 months ago.  

There’s no need to bad mouth the guy tho, that’s pretty low class especially because Mayock has always acted professionally.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

I get we had to move on from Mayock but idk why the board/fan base has to turn nasty towards him.

There were a lot of crappy people who were members of this franchise. Mayock deserves the criticism, his horrific free agent signings and wasted draft picks have been the difference in terms of us being a contending team vs a fringe playoff team.

2 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

2 years ago I said Mayock should be on the hot seat (but said I still support him) and was told I don’t know what I’m talking about.  I broke down in detail all of The wasted draft capital (blown picks, cost of not trading down when there were trades available, etc), as well As the wasted salary cap space.  Funny how everyone jumps On board 6 months ago.  

There’s no need to bad mouth the guy tho, that’s pretty low class especially because Mayock has always acted professionally.

You calling people low class is a bit rich, but go off. 

This team had 13 picks in the top 100. They were completely negligent with them. They never looked to trade up early and get the right guy. They reached consistently.  

GMs are going to miss, it happens. Judge them by their ability to learn from the mistakes. Mayock consistently botched the early stages of the draft and kept reaching. He had some good spots, but overall you cannot miss on top 100 picks and expect to build a championship roster and keep your job. 

• Like 1

Just now, big_palooka said:

You calling people low class is a bit rich, but go off. 

This team had 13 picks in the top 100. They were completely negligent with them. They never looked to trade up early and get the right guy. They reached consistently.  

GMs are going to miss, it happens. Judge them by their ability to learn from the mistakes. Mayock consistently botched the early stages of the draft and kept reaching. He had some good spots, but overall you cannot miss on top 100 picks and expect to build a championship roster and keep your job. 

To be completely fair, that's not all on Mike.  Gru had a substantial grip on control in all the picks.  Not to say he doesn't deserve blame.  But to hate on a guy who was hired for a position he wasn't qualified is very similar to blaming a bust on where they were drafted.  

• Like 1

Just now, Totty said:

To be completely fair, that's not all on Mike.  Gru had a substantial grip on control in all the picks.  Not to say he doesn't deserve blame.  But to hate on a guy who was hired for a position he wasn't qualified is very similar to blaming a bust on where they were drafted.  

I don't hate Mayock to be clear. He made the best of a bad situation working for a emotional guy like Gruden. Moves the AB trade were all Gruden. 

I think Mayock is a good talent evaluator, but lousy manager. In other words, he will too easily to succumb to pressures from assistant coaches. Take the Leatherwood pick where he repeatedly kept saying, he was Cable's favorite player in the draft.... I really don't care what Tom Cable thinks. Why do you? Get the players that help the team. Don't reach on some pet project for your positional coaches. 

End of the day, the Mack trade was a complete bust. They got nothing to show for it and the team is no better off than when McKenzie/Del Rio's hand came off it in 2017.