The GM Thread: Raiders hire Zeigler

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, SimonGruber said:

I can’t front I thought Littleton was coverage linebacker the team had been sorely lacking

Respect for being honest.  Way Too many people will like a Move at the time then blast the team/GM/etc for it if it fails.  There Were A few Of Mayocks moves that seemed good initially but turned out to be flops.

47 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Respect for being honest.  Way Too many people will like a Move at the time then blast the team/GM/etc for it if it fails.  There Were A few Of Mayocks moves that seemed good initially but turned out to be flops.

Yeah but we aren't paid millions of dollars to get them correct, just goobers on a website

52 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Our biggest issue in free agency is that we've signed role players from good teams and expected them to be leaders and dominant players for us.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Our biggest issue in free agency is that we've signed role players from good teams and expected them to be leaders and dominant players for us.

You ain’t wrong about that.  Nassib is a perfect example.  From the minute we signed that deal I said there’s no way this guy lives up to it.  He was a decent backup on a loaded DL, which helped inflate his stats, and had very little Upside.  He wasn’t ever going to significantly improve on 6/6.5 sacks. 
A slightly different scenario, as Littleton wasn’t a role player IMO, he was a second tier playmaker with the Rams…. But we signed him to a really big deal hoping he’d play the same in the #1 Defense as with the leagues worst or close to It.  He Clearly was the product of that system.

but my point simply was Mayock did make some move that seemed good at the time, moves that we’re very popular, but in time they didn’t work out.  I Just think it’s kinda weak to complain about a move after it fails if you supported it initially.

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

He’s at the top of my list too.

from NFL app…

The Raiders put in requests to interview New England Patriots defensive assistant Jerod Mayo for head coach and Patriots director of player personnel Dave Ziegler for general manager, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday. The team is also expected to put in a GM interview request for Indianapolis Colts executive Ed Dobbs, Rapoport added.

Not super enthused on anyone from New England. Their drafting has been pretty meh. It’s Dodds and everyone else IMO. Anyone from the ravens/chargers/browns wouldn’t hurt though.

• Like 1

Seemed like a guy that deferred too much with the early round picks. Guys like Crosby, Renfrow, Mullens, Hobbs, etc are guys you'd hear him talk about during draft coverage. About as bad a time as you could have as a first time GM, but I have no terrible things to say about him. 

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

You ain’t wrong about that.  Nassib is a perfect example.  From the minute we signed that deal I said there’s no way this guy lives up to it.  He was a decent backup on a loaded DL, which helped inflate his stats, and had very little Upside.  He wasn’t ever going to significantly improve on 6/6.5 sacks. 
A slightly different scenario, as Littleton wasn’t a role player IMO, he was a second tier playmaker with the Rams…. But we signed him to a really big deal hoping he’d play the same in the #1 Defense as with the leagues worst or close to It.  He Clearly was the product of that system.

but my point simply was Mayock did make some move that seemed good at the time, moves that we’re very popular, but in time they didn’t work out.  I Just think it’s kinda weak to complain about a move after it fails if you supported it initially.

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Not this last free agency period. Prior? Yes. 

2 hours ago, KlenlyKenny said:

That is true, that may be indeed why the change happened. 

Littleton was good for the Rams but I think a lot of that was due to playing behind a dominant DL with an elite defensive coordinator. LaMarcus Joyner was a solid FS and we pigeon holed him at SCB. Kwit was never even a full time starter and we paid him a ton, not to mention Collins was supposedly the key to the defense. 

What big named FA did we sign outside of Yannick? Drake was a bust, all of the veteran WR we bought in were busts, etc.

He also whiffed on a ton of early draft picks.

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Not super enthused on anyone from New England. Their drafting has been pretty meh. It’s Dodds and everyone else IMO. Anyone from the ravens/chargers/browns wouldn’t hurt though.

Ed Dobbs and Jim Harbaugh please.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Littleton was good for the Rams but I think a lot of that was due to playing behind a dominant DL with an elite defensive coordinator. LaMarcus Joyner was a solid FS and we pigeon holed him at SCB. Kwit was never even a full time starter and we paid him a ton, not to mention Collins was supposedly the key to the defense. 

What big named FA did we sign outside of Yannick? Drake was a bust, all of the veteran WR we bought in were busts, etc.

He also whiffed on a ton of early draft picks.

I can think of Perryman (trade) and also Heyward. 

18 minutes ago, BigD1123 said:

I don't know much about GMs but Dobbs seems like the real deal for sure. And I don't think I'd want the guy from NE. I'm not a fan of their roster tbh.

And with anyone from New England it becomes a question of, how much of their success was because BB vs a general manager. 

• Like 1