Deal Closed: Microsoft acquires Activision/Blizzard for $68.7 Billion

Deadpulse

Gonna be curious how this one breaks down in a year. 

Im not positive COD goes full exclusive, but once that Sony contract is up (and maybe it is a per game thing) the early and exclusive content on PS is done. I’m sure Gamepass Ultimate will have month drops for it like they started for Halo along with it just coming to Gamepass day 1. Like that value proposition is already a big advantage.

I was always pretty sure that Bethesda was going exclusive, this I’m not so sure. A lot of their historic titles are PC mostly anyway, so I’d imagine Diablo, any future StarCraft and WoW will never be anywhere else.

As far as studios, They probably take the boot of the neck of High Moon, Toys for Bob and maybe build back up Radical Entertainment (could merge them into The Coalition up there in Vancouver). No longer whipping them into COD support studios, can go back to making their own games. Higher end if they do switch it to at least every other year, maybe they let Raven Soft stop having to make COD too. All of those teams are big, so breaking off even one gives you a AAA studio to make another game.

7 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

A lot of their historic titles are PC mostly anyway, so I’d imagine Diablo, any future StarCraft and WoW will never be anywhere else.

I imagine the big change for those titles will be the login/launcher that Blizzard uses. They may scrap it and roll it all into a Microsoft/Xbox login. 

1 minute ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

They spent $70B they are absolutely not going to release COD on other platforms or have the COD support studios go do other stuff when COD makes the most money.

"The games will be exclusive to platforms that have Game Pass" ~ Phil Spencer

It puts Sony between a rock and a hard place. Do you allow your platform to have game pass and miss out on potential multiplatform title sales cus they're available on gamepass, or do you miss out on those titles with people choosing Xbox/PC instead?

10 minutes ago, Danger said:

As far as I’ve seen it’s a default thing said during a transition.

They say Phil will become CEO of Activision, so writing is on the walls you’d think. But I guess we’ll see as of closing later this year, they can’t make any changes til they actually own it.

I’d imagine someone like Mike Ybarra might get bumped up to be the Activision lead, the contemporary to Matt Booty (XGS) and Pete Hines (Bethesda). He was with Xbox for awhile, and seems to still be in good with people. This also brings Rod Ferguson back into the fold, he left the Coalition/Gears to go lead Diablo.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

"The games will be exclusive to platforms that have Game Pass" ~ Phil Spencer

It puts Sony between a rock and a hard place. Do you allow your platform to have game pass and miss out on potential multiplatform title sales cus they're available on gamepass, or do you miss out on those titles with people choosing Xbox/PC instead?

Yeah could be that simple, just wild if they do

2 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

As far as I’ve seen it’s a default thing said during a transition.

They say Phil will become CEO of Activision, so writing is on the walls you’d think. But I guess we’ll see as of closing later this year, they can’t make any changes til they actually own it.

I’d imagine someone like Mike Ybarra might get bumped up to be the Activision lead, the contemporary to Matt Booty (XGS) and Pete Hines (Bethesda). He was with Xbox for awhile, and seems to still be in good with people. This also brings Rod Ferguson back into the fold, he left the Coalition/Gears to go lead Diablo.

I sure hope so. I'm taking a stand against Activision Blizzard and not supporting them in any way until Kotick is gone.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

They spent $70B they are absolutely not going to release COD on other platforms or have the COD support studios go do other stuff when COD makes the most money.

Gamepass is king though for them, having an additional AAA and 2/3 more AA studios can do a lot with getting them to their “one big release a quarter” goal.

Like I look at Toys for Bob and that could be the kind of studio they’ve supposedly been looking for a new Banjo game. They want more young content.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I sure hope so. I'm taking a stand against Activision Blizzard and not supporting them in any way until Kotick is gone.

Probably won’t hear anything officially until closer to close or right after. Deal is expected to close June 2023, could be a little sooner.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

Eh Microsoft’s culture on that stuff is pretty good. Kotick will 100% be out upon finalization. That alone is a win

Kiltman is right. Kotick will remain on now and these type of deals take a long time to actually "happen" once they're finalized. Kotick will be out eventually. They'll pay him a huge sum and allow him to walk away, so he gets off scott free.

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I don't know about that. They could make Call of Duty a console exclusive, but Microsoft seems more interested in winning the software war than they are the hardware war.

I have a gaming PC, so I play some of their games on PC. I never play any on console, so the "console wars" aspect of this debate is not that important.

What I'm more interested in is what does this mean for Overwatch 2, Diablo 4, the future of Starcraft, etc. Those franchises have been dead in the water in large part because all of the issues at Blizzard. Once this fully happens and those titles have completely new leadership and some new dev power, I wonder what will happen to them. This could end up being great news.