Deal Closed: Microsoft acquires Activision/Blizzard for $68.7 Billion

Deadpulse

9 minutes ago, showtime said:

I don't know about that. They could make Call of Duty a console exclusive, but Microsoft seems more interested in winning the software war than they are the hardware war.

Yeah I could really see it going multiple ways with COD. I see more merit towards keeping it multiplat than the Bethesda stuff. But if they don’t it could be a big move at that silent majority that just plays COD and FIFA or Madden. Especially next year when the consoles will finally be easier to buy.

Like now that I think about it, if they lock it down and can say Call of Duty only on Xbox. And then pump out a Series S branded with COD, they’ll make a killing. 

3 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah I could really see it going multiple ways with COD. I see more merit towards keeping it multiplat than the Bethesda stuff. But if they don’t it could be a big move at that silent majority that just plays COD and FIFA or Madden. Especially next year when the consoles will finally be easier to buy.

Like now that I think about it, if they lock it down and can say Call of Duty only on Xbox. And then pump out a Series S branded with COD, they’ll make a killing. 

Well, I think there's like previous contracts in place with Sony that need to be honored. Not sure if all Activision/Blizzard games are under one contact or on a per game basis, but at some point I could see CoD become console exclusive.

For Xbox owners, at least all these games will be on Game Pass day one. That might actually be a bigger deal for the PC version of Game Pass, though. Imagine Starcraft, Diablo 4, OW2, etc all on PC Game Pass. That gives more incentive for everyone to get Game Pass, which is exactly what Microsoft wants.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, showtime said:

I have a gaming PC, so I play some of their games on PC. I never play any on console, so the "console wars" aspect of this debate is not that important.

What I'm more interested in is what does this mean for Overwatch 2, Diablo 4, the future of Starcraft, etc. Those franchises have been dead in the water in large part because all of the issues at Blizzard. Once this fully happens and those titles have completely new leadership and some new dev power, I wonder what will happen to them. This could end up being great news.

Yeah I hope they can correct course over at Blizzard. The Activision influence was growing worse and worse. Actually makes me excited about what they might be able to do again.

2 hours ago, Danger said:

"The games will be exclusive to platforms that have Game Pass" ~ Phil Spencer

It puts Sony between a rock and a hard place. Do you allow your platform to have game pass and miss out on potential multiplatform title sales cus they're available on gamepass, or do you miss out on those titles with people choosing Xbox/PC instead?

I thought I read somewhere Sony was going to get Game Pass (or an equivalent) soon?

5 minutes ago, showtime said:

Well, I think there's like previous contracts in place with Sony that need to be honored. Not sure if all Activision/Blizzard games are under one contact or on a per game basis, but at some point I could see CoD become console exclusive.

Yeah I wonder if it’s just a deal that’s reupped every year / every game or if they do bulk years. I’m sure someone will put hat out there soon if they haven’t already.

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I thought I read somewhere Sony was going to get Game Pass (or an equivalent) soon?

They are going to create their own soon. But the scope isn’t expected to be the same, nor could it really. Essentially more of a back catalogue service. But if they do release their games day 1 into it that’d be great, get more people to play them. I’d imagine they will make some 3rd party deals too.

11 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

They haven't expressed any interest in having Game Pass, basically they're going to redo Playstation Now to be more along a Game Pass model and make it more attractive for PlayStation players, but it's selection will obviously pale in comparison to Xbox's mainly because Xbox has been dropping FU money in building studios, and making major buyouts like this one here and Bethesda.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

Watch Sony go all-out and buy EA in retaliation. 

I could see them push to lock down Square Enix. Sony is throwing a ton of money to get timed exclusivity or 3rd party exclusivity from them and other publishers.
Just pony up enough to lock them down outright would probably be the move.

Helps you maintain your giant lead in block xbox in Japan and the eastern markets, more studios to help up the output every year, including two good western studios in Crystal Dynamics (Avengers aside) and Eidos Montreal. The way forward for sony is the premium game releases and japanese games. If they can get like 3 games from internal studios and buy timed exclusivity like they have been doing, while being the only place to play some of those japanese studio games like Final Fantasy, Persona, etc.; I think they have a really great market still to live in.

Rumors are they are doubling down on timed exclusivity, potentially adding the new Bioshock, to KOTOR and the other games they've done that with.
EA and Microsoft have a very good relationship, so it'll be a little harder but I could see Sony going after Dragon Age or maybe even Mass Effect. 
Maybe they don't do it this time because the last time they tried to take a big swing like that with Starfield exclusivity, Microsoft just bought the company. 

But I'm not really worried about Sony too much, just changes their model, it's the biggest game on their platform and old versions outsell brand new games still.
That's a lot of revenue lost just on the cut they get, let alone what could happen with a migration away if it does go exclusive

2021 Top 20 Games (Physical and Full Game Digital for publishers in the Digital Leader Panel) ranked on dollar sales

1. Call of Duty: Vanguard - Activision Blizzard (Corp)
  2. Madden NFL 22 - Electronic Arts
  3. Call of Duty: Black Ops: Cold War - Activision Blizzard (Corp)
  4. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales - Sony (Corp)
  5. MLB: The Show 21 - Sony (Corp)
  6. Battlefield 2042 - Electronic Arts
  7. FIFA 22 - Electronic Arts
  8. Ghost of Tsushima - Sony (Corp)
  9. Resident Evil: Village - Capcom USA
  10. Far Cry 6 - Ubisoft
  11. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - Sony (Corp)
  12. NBA 2K22* - Take-Two Interactive
  13. Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla - Ubisoft
  14. Minecraft - Microsoft (Corp)
  15. Back 4 Blood - Warner Bros. Interactive
  16. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) - Activision Blizzard (Corp)
  17. Mortal Kombat 11  - Warner Bros. Interactive
  18. Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy - Square Enix Inc (Corp)
  19. Mass Effect: Legendary Edition - Electronic Arts
  20. Madden NFL 21 - Electronic Arts

But they will be able to survive it and still thrive as much as they have the last decade.