Deal Closed: Microsoft acquires Activision/Blizzard for $68.7 Billion

Deadpulse

23 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

*the free part of the battle pass 

That's not the point. The point is that Overwatch is a game predicated on swapping your heroes mid match in order to counter what the enemy team is running. 

"Hey can you switch to Kiriko so we can get some more speed?"
"Nah I can't man, haven't got to level 40 on the battle pass yet."

Additionally you'll have a whole bunch of players who don't have the time to grind these new heroes and when they want to come by to check out the new content they'll just say "eh forget it." and then they don't stick around.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Danger said:

Additionally you'll have a whole bunch of players who don't have the time to grind these new heroes and when they want to come by to check out the new content they'll just say "eh forget it." and then they don't stick around.

This is said about every game that has some sort of grinding mechanic yet somehow people always end up getting the "impossible to get because I don't have time" things. 

I'm not typically crazy about Battle Passes locking hero's/items behind them but for a F2P game to unlock the hero's behind a free battle-pass tier with the option to unlock it by buying the paid BP is not a huge deal.

Really depends the length of it I suppose, if it's something where you get a new character every ten,
and premium BP owners get it ten before (so they start with an unlock, free has to get to level 10, etc)

But if it's super grindy all the way to the end, I get the gripe a bit.

I think for them this just slow rolls the new OW2 stuff and gives each character their natural time to shine as the bulk of the fanbase unlocks them.
It also make people get back into it more, I can't imagine just how much it dropped in the last few years.

I don't really have a horse in the race.

• 10 months later...

Update, been a lot coming out of the FTC vs Microsoft / Activision trial

but today the judge issued their verdict, and denied the FTCs case as it currently stands. And apparently UK regulators are already potentially looking at a settlement as Microsoft apparently was fine just going around them.

TL;dr: The deal is happening and supposedly could be closed by the end of the month. Barring any big appeals, but the core reason has been shot down.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Microsoft buying the whole market doesn’t make me want to buy an Xbox. Just means I’m going to stop playing certain games. 

In this instance I was fine with it, Kotick and Activision suck…this was the only move that would’ve changed that anytime soon.

But yeah it makes Gamepass nicer, but not thrilled with how small the industry is getting.

Hopefully some of those studios that were forced to work on COD might be able to make other games again. Because at this point it’s not like they are really making much else. COD is staying Multi-plat, as is Overwatch and Diablo (at least this one). Reportedly the only thing in the works that might be locked down in the immediate future is this Blizzard survival game.

Will be interesting if/when we start seeing other studios from Xbox/Bethesda start tapping into that dormant Activision/Blizz IP. Could see like id or the Coalition doing a StarCraft game.

Hopefully it’s for the better, remains to be seen. Xbox hasn’t managed teams all that well. Hopefully with stuff like Redfall falling flat they reorganize and get better.

16 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

In this instance I was fine with it, Kotick and Activision suck…this was the only move that would’ve changed that anytime soon.

But yeah it makes Gamepass nicer, but not thrilled with how small the industry is getting.

Hopefully some of those studios that were forced to work on COD might be able to make other games again. Because at this point it’s not like they are really making much else. COD is staying Multi-plat, as is Overwatch and Diablo (at least this one). Reportedly the only thing in the works that might be locked down in the immediate future is this Blizzard survival game.

Will be interesting if/when we start seeing other studios from Xbox/Bethesda start tapping into that dormant Activision/Blizz IP. Could see like id or the Coalition doing a StarCraft game.

Hopefully it’s for the better, remains to be seen. Xbox hasn’t managed teams all that well. Hopefully with stuff like Redfall falling flat they reorganize and get better.

Starcraft would be great... could even expand on it. I'd be intrigued by a shooter in that world. 

I wonder if we see some Rock Band, Guitar Hero reboot

I keep thinking we could see some sort of Transformers MMO. I feel like there is a lot you could do with that.

31 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Starcraft would be great... could even expand on it. I'd be intrigued by a shooter in that world. 

I wonder if we see some Rock Band, Guitar Hero reboot

I keep thinking we could see some sort of Transformers MMO. I feel like there is a lot you could do with that.

Think there were some rumors of Guitar Hero coming back.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sjfja_fkdldjs said:

I want another Starcraft RTS that isn't Starcraft if that makes any sense. I want the same mechanics with new characters, units, and a world. As a primarily Gamepass gamer, this is probably a good thing for me, I don't know how it'll affect the landscape of the industry though lol

change your name back!!! LOL