Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? Part 1 (Amari Cooper)

The_Slamman

Should Amari Cooper Stay or Go?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Dallas Cowboys Cut Amari Cooper Before the 2022 Season?

• Yes. His price tag outgrew his production.
    • No. Coop is still a weapon and we don't need another hole to fill.
    • Wait until after the draft to decide.

I’m not really ready to move on from the guy after having just one down season where he more or less missed 3 games (barely played against the Saints at all) and played through injury for the vast majority of the season. Obviously his production was down, but there is context there that needs to be fairly evaluated. I think he can still be a very impactful player, especially if the offense has better direction next season + a better performing O-line. I also just don’t really like the prospects of relying on Lamb (who isn’t clear cut #1 material) and a bunch of unknowns. If Cooper is out the team absolutely has to get Gallup back and hope that he has a strong, timely recovery from the ACL injury. Not sure it’s a gamble to take this off-season… just not really the right time in my opinion. I think Cooper will definitely be back next season.

Honestly don’t think his ability is an issue, and if the team let him go I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him produce pretty well somewhere else. Think letting him go would be a definite mistake. Let’s not down grade the offense if we don’t have to. 

Edited by NoFlyZone

20 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

I’m not really ready to move on from the guy after having just one down season where he more or less missed 3 games (barely played against the Saints at all) and played through injury for the vast majority of the season. Obviously his production was down, but there is context there that needs to be fairly evaluated. I think he can still be a very impactful player, especially if the offense has better direction next season + a better performing O-line. I also just don’t really like the prospects of relying on Lamb (who isn’t clear cut #1 material) and a bunch of unknowns. If Cooper is out the team absolutely has to get Gallup back and hope that he has a strong, timely recovery from the ACL injury. Not sure it’s a gamble to take this off-season… just not really the right time in my opinion. I think Cooper will definitely be back next season.

Honestly don’t think his ability is an issue, and if the team let him go I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him produce pretty well somewhere else. Think letting him go would be a definite mistake. Let’s not down grade the offense if we don’t have to. 

Its not about his skill. He is very skilled. Its about value. He isnt worth $20m/yr

11 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Its not about his skill. He is very skilled. Its about value. He isnt worth $20m/yr

or we don't utilize him enough, say throw 5+ slant/game, which should be easy.    Either way we're not getting anywhere near $20mil/yr value out of him.   He'll turn 28 this summer.   still think we can get some good value in a trade.   I'd like to re-sign Schultz, but is he looking at Hunter Henry/Jonnu Smith money $12.5mil/yr?   

1 hour ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

or we don't utilize him enough, say throw 5+ slant/game, which should be easy.    Either way we're not getting anywhere near $20mil/yr value out of him.   He'll turn 28 this summer.   still think we can get some good value in a trade.   I'd like to re-sign Schultz, but is he looking at Hunter Henry/Jonnu Smith money $12.5mil/yr?   

If we cant get $20m out of him and the raiders couldnt either... maybe its the player? And again, I think Cooper is very skilled. I think he could go to almost any team and be a 1000 yard guy year in and year out. The issue is, 1000 yard guys arent worth $20m. 1500 yard guys who actually draw double teams (cooper does not) are worth $20m/yr.

1 hour ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I can't wait for the Schultz convo - I see zero reason to re-sign him. 

Schultz is on the upper end of average and he has good rhythm with Dak. Id like to keep him. Not for Dallas Goedert money, but maybe 60-70% of that.  

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Perhaps, but I feel letting him go all of a sudden could make receiver a position of need… depending on what happens with Gallup, I suppose. Just don’t know if this year would be the year to make a move. That’s without knowing a ton about the cap situation, though.

Another point on this subject: CD, Wilson, and Cooper all seem to excel when in the Slot. Significantly more so than when on the outside.

If we don't re-sign Gallup (or if we do and he still isn't ready for Camp) - who are our outside threats? 

Further - this is a very good WR draft. We should take advantage of that.

I am on the fence. The injury to Gallup changed everything. I figured we one kept going of Coop and Gallup. I have always like Wilson but his ceiling is a no3 IMO. I also don’t see Gallup or Lamb a No1. Granted Coop wasn’t playing a No1 level but at least we had three no2 or 2 1b’s. Loose Cop Gallup unable to come back we have a real reduced Wr core. Especially if we don’t sign Schultz.   But even then I think we are better off long run increasing the skill of our interior OL then resigning or replacing Coop with a high draft

5 hours ago, quiller said:

I am on the fence. The injury to Gallup changed everything. I figured we one kept going of Coop and Gallup. I have always like Wilson but his ceiling is a no3 IMO. I also don’t see Gallup or Lamb a No1. Granted Coop wasn’t playing a No1 level but at least we had three no2 or 2 1b’s. Loose Cop Gallup unable to come back we have a real reduced Wr core. Especially if we don’t sign Schultz.   But even then I think we are better off long run increasing the skill of our interior OL then resigning or replacing Coop with a high draft

Not sure why many folks don't think CD isn't or can't be a number one. Everyone was/has been saying how lucky we were, how was he still on the board etc. Yea, clearly, he's talented and think he needs to be a bit more mature and disciplined but I think he can be a #1.

13 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jerry-jones-remains-high-cowboys-192239936.html

so, even Jerry doesn’t think Amari is worth $20M per year.  I’m surprised the majority so far is voting to keep amari.

I didnt vote in this or the last poll because you didnt list the proper option for what I would do. I would trade him (and zeke) in a heart beat. But cutting them becomes a bit more challenging. 

20 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

Fans always overestimate the trade value of players.  There are only about 5-10 that even have the the cap space to trade for Cooper.  And if we don’t think he justifies the price tag, why would another team think he’s worth it?  

I wouldnt be expecting a 1st in return, but if we take on some of the cap hit, a 3rd wouldnt be outrageous. A 4th or 5th for Zeke from some stupid team that still thinks running backs matter. Basically where ever Bill O'Brien or similarly dumb coach goes. Hell, maybe even the 9ers. 

Edited by Matts4313

• 2 weeks later...