Da_Ducktator's QB Rankings

Da_Ducktator

Wanted to share my rankings with all and have one place where I will be editing them throughout the rest of the season and draft process. Just going to start with rankings, quick summary, and a round grade.

Going to be updating this more and more. Only including underclassman for now who have been strongly connected with coming out.

Few names missing below that will be added: Austin Allen, Danny Etling, Mike White, Taylor Lamb, Kyle Lauletta, Tyler Rogers, and Kenny Hill. Wanted to watch a bit more of them before ranking them.

Critiques/discussion welcome.

1. Sam Darnold | USC | R-So.

Overall: Young, gifted passer who has to polish up his game but on the verge of greatness. Displays quality football IQ despite being relatively inexperienced. Turnovers and loses this year have been overblown. Won't turn 21-years old until June.

Grade: Top 5

2. Lamar Jackson | Louisville | Jr.

Overall: Unsure of why Josh Allen (down the list) gets lauded for his physical tools while Lamar is freakish in his combination of arm strength and athleticism and doesn't get the same kind of hype. Will take work to try and get him to an elite level as a passer, but Mike Vick never came close to that level and was still a winning NFL QB. 

Grade: Top 10

3. Josh Rosen | UCLA | Jr.

Overall: Comes from quite the background both athletically and financially. Smooth-looking QB prospect with all the physical tools but just seems to be missing something mentally and even his numbers point to that (13 TD's/12 INT's on the road, converting a partly 33.3% of his 3rd downs into 1st downs). Jekyll-type arm but Hyde-type decision-making. Showing some signs of being the next Jimmy Clausen as opposed to in a Matt Ryan or Eli Manning realm.

Grade: Mid 1st

4. Baker Mayfield | Oklahoma | R-Sr.

Overall: Above average arm and tough competitor who is pass-first in nature, but both get him into trouble at times. Main issue right now is trying to push plays outside of the pocket instead of stepping up into it. Immaturity is a glaring concern but it's tough to overlook the arm talent and success.

Grade: 2nd Round

5. Josh Allen | Wyoming | R-Jr.

Overall: As raw as he is talented. Has struggled mightily against better opponents and on the road. Lower half needs a complete rework but has displayed good toughness and leadership for a Wyoming team severely lacking in surrounding talent.

Grade: 2nd Round

6. Riley Ferguson | Memphis | R-Sr. | 6'4" | 210 lbs.

Scouting Report

7. Mason Rudolph | Oklahoma State | Sr.

Overall: Arm strength leaves a lot to be desired despite size. Plays smart within his system and takes what is there but lacks the ability to make his team better.

Grade: 4th Round

8. Logan Woodside | Toledo | R-Sr.

Overall: Not going to 'wow' anybody with his physical tools, but displays the ability on film to diagnose defenses pre-snap and make sound decisions. Arguably the best anticipatory passer in the class. Composed under pressure and has played well against better competition. Has the makings of a solid back-up in the league for a long time.

Grade: 5th Round

9. Bryan Schor | James Madison | R-Sr.

Overall: National Championship-winning QB who has posted a 25-3 record with two of those losses coming by one possession and the other coming at North Carolina. Undersized but a strong competitor who throws the deep ball surprisingly well and has a knack for big plays and escaping chaos. Reminiscent style of Tony Romo. Went JUCO route before JMU but had accepted a scholarship to Miami (Ohio) before a coaching change.

Grade: PFA

10. Nic Shimonek | Texas Tech | R-Sr.

Overall: Running away with his lone opportunity to start in college. Interesting situation overall as the ball really pops out of his hand but admittedly transferred from Iowa to Texas Tech to go from a pro-style offense to spread system. Still, took the challenge of being a walk-on - even starting his own furniture restoration business to cover school expenses - and displays a fiery competitiveness on the field. Certainly seems like the type to take a chance on as a camp arm (24-year old rookie).

Grade: PFA

11. Luke Falk | Washington State | R-Sr.

Overall: Former walk-on that comes from a system with few success stories. Struggles to drive the ball downfield and has been benched multiple times as a senior.

Grade: UDFA

12. Kurt Benkert | Virginia | R-Sr.

Overall: Average tools across the board who had a strong game number-wise at Miami, but struggled mightily against Virginia Tech. Game against the Hurricanes was overblown though as the majority of his yardage and scores came after the catch by his receiver or on a blown coverage. Second half against Miami was sub-par at-best and couple with the Hokies game, it's tough to be very high on the guy.

13. DeVante Kincade | Grambling State | R-Sr.

Overall: Athletic, Ole Miss transfer who has played efficiently for Grambling State. Left the Arizona game due to injury with his team ahead 14-3 (lost 31-21). Doesn't really 'wow' outside of good athletic ability, but has a shot to get drafted depending on all-star games/workouts. Will be a 24-year old rookie.

14. Jeremiah Briscoe | Sam Houston State | R-Sr.

Overall: UAB transfer who was slated to be a dual-sport athlete for the Blazers (baseball) before the football program went on a two-year hiatus. Big body and strong arm, but was miserable against James Madison last year and has had some questionable outings this season despite playing in a weak FCS conference. Will be a 25-year old rookie so you have to wonder how much more growth is really there.

15. Brogan Roback | Eastern Michigan | R-Sr.

Overall: Solid arm talent, decent size (needs to add weight), good athlete and solid bloodlines, but comes with a lot of questions. Play has been quite erratic and seems to struggle handling the blitz. Also comes with character questions as he was suspended three games for a violation of team rules to begin 2016.

16. Nick Stevens | Colorado State | R-Sr.

Overall: Benefits from having Mike Bobo as a coach and Michael Gallup as his top receiver. Quick, compact release with solid pocket presence, but has a lean build and notably struggled against in-state rival Colorado throughout his career.

17. Brandon Silvers | Troy | R-Sr.

Overall: Will be a 24-year old rookie with okay tools, but his motion varies (kind of a Philip Rivers-esque motion on deep balls) and he has struggled in marquee games (Boise State, LSU, bowl game vs Ohio, Clemson, Wisconsin). Decent bloodlines help his case slightly.

18. J.T. Barrett | Ohio State | Sr.

Overall: First-ever three-time team captain in Buckeyes history, but he is horrendous when pressured and doesn't have the tools to succeed at the next level. Athleticism also isn't good enough for a position switch.

Grade: UDFA

19. Matt Linehan | Idaho | R-Sr.

Overall: Comes from a football family but realistically, doesn't have the arm to compete at the next level. Lots of wobbly passes come out of his hand and he has to put a lot of effort into his passes.

Grade: UDFA

30 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Didn't expect such a fall for Luke Falk.

This class outside the top 3 (and even they have some big issues) isn't all that impressive.

I've never been a big fan of Falk as an NFL prospect. Great college player, admire what he has done to work his way from walk-on to a multi-record holder in the PAC-12, but he just doesn't have the tools for the next level. Just don't see him driving his throws down field or to the opposite hash and his athletic ability is sub-par too. Everything about him just seems so average or below average on tape. I'm baffled when I see somebody giving him 1st round love. I doubt he goes undrafted - that's just my personal grade - but I guarantee you that he will not touch the 1st round, likely not even the top 100.

On 11/3/2017 at 3:52 PM, Da_Ducktator said:

Wanted to share my rankings with all and have one place where I will be editing them throughout the rest of the season and draft process. Just going to start with rankings, quick summary, and a round grade.

Going to be updating this more and more. Only including underclassman for now who have been strongly connected with coming out.

Few names missing below that will be added: Riley Ferguson, Nick Stevens, Brandon Silvers, Logan Woodside, Mike White, Taylor Lamb, Logan Roback, Matt Linehan, Tyler Rogers, and Kenny Hill. Wanted to watch a bit more of them before ranking them.

Critiques/discussion welcome.

1. Sam Darnold | USC | R-So.

Overall: Young, gifted passer who has to polish up his game but on the verge of greatness. Displays quality football IQ despite being relatively inexperienced. Turnovers and loses this year have been overblown. Won't turn 21-years old until June.

Grade: Top 5

Overall: Unsure of why Josh Allen (down the list) gets lauded for his physical tools while Lamar is freakish in his combination of arm strength and athleticism. Will take work to try and get him to an elite level as a passer, but Mike Vick never came close to that level and was still a winning NFL QB. 

3. Josh Rosen | UCLA | Jr.

Overall: Comes from quite the background both athletically and financially. Smooth-looking QB prospect with all the physical tools but just seems to be missing something mentally and even his numbers point to that (13 TD's/12 INT's on the road, converting a partly 31.9% of his 3rd downs into 1st downs). Looking more and more like the next Jimmy Clausen as opposed to the next Eli Manning.

Grade: Late 1st

Agree with you completely on Rosen, there is a lot of intangibles he is lacking.  Then again with Darnold there is a lot of things lacking with how he throws the football and his mechanics at times.  I have said before if you could combine those two QBs strengths into one player than maybe you have something actually great not just good.  As it is, considering the hype they have got coming into the year I think they have disappointed.  Darnold has throw a INT in 8 out of 10 games and multiple INTs in his first three games.  However he is probably the best option, then again in terms of depth there is a ton of it and a lot of 1st rounders potentially. 

Mayfield has a better arm than Darnold one could argue, is just as good of a competitor if not a better competitor and is far more accurate with the football.  But because he is 3" shorter he is not as good of a player?  Will see, but there are a ton of things Mayfield does better than Darnold, he will never be picked over him but is arguably just as good of a player if not better.  Mayfield this year without question has played like a 1st round pick, to compare him to Manziel is a damn insult.  Manziel was a joke of a football player coming out of college, a run 1st QB all the way that looked bad when not improvising.  Mayfield is not that what so ever and is far more accurate and controlled as a passer.   

Be interesting how it plays out, no one has really separated themselves I feel, and so many have 1st round ability and talent.  Could easily see Josh Allen becoming the best out of all of them, could also see Rudolph surprising a lot of people potentially as well.  So if a team needs QB options there could be a lot to pick from with a lot of upside, yet most are not yet proven outside of Mayfield.  Oh and Jarrett Stidham should be in the conversation, could come out early and be a damn interesting prospect.  

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 4:52 PM, Da_Ducktator said:

Overall: Unsure of why Josh Allen (down the list) gets lauded for his physical tools while Lamar is freakish in his combination of arm strength and athleticism. Will take work to try and get him to an elite level as a passer, but Mike Vick never came close to that level and was still a winning NFL QB

First of all, great thread. I disagree, to keep Vick inside of the pocket would take away what made him special, and  (albeit one season) he was an elite passer from the pocket (2010 season) posting a 100.2 passer rating and only 6 ints on 372 attempts.

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Oh and Jarrett Stidham should be in the conversation, could come out early and be a damn interesting prospect. 

I had high expectations for Stidham coming into the year, but he really struggled in Auburn's two big games. The offensive line didn't help him, and I also highly doubt he comes out, but I need to see Stidham perform well in a big game before getting too excited about him.

49 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

First of all, great thread. I disagree, to keep Vick inside of the pocket would take away what made him special, and  (albeit one season) he was an elite passer from the pocket (2010 season) posting a 100.2 passer rating and only 6 ints on 372 attempts.

Thanks for the kind words to start. Vick got better as a passer but I don't think we ever saw 'elite' passing from him. I may have exaggerated a little when I said he never came close, but I was mainly alluding to Falcons Vick and not Eagles Vick, which was a much improved passer under Andy Reid.

My main point when comparing Lamar and Vick is that Lamar is only a touch below Vick athletically, but leaps and bounds ahead of him as a passer when comparing the two as prospects. Lamar still has plenty of work to do, but the guy is rare talent-wise. I'm most intrigued with how Lamar ends up doing in the off the field stuff that goes with the draft process. I have heard he is a decently smart kid football acumen-wise, but those Petrino systems are not anywhere near an NFL offense in terms of complexity. I also find it interesting how polar opposite prospects like Rosen and Lamar seem to be personality-wise. Lamar seems like this really quiet kid who just wants to play ball while Rosen can't seem to help himself with putting himself in the spotlight (again, another similarity he seems to share with Clausen).

Just now, K-Ro 25 said:

Great thread man. Where do you see Lamar going on draft day? Seems all over the place now.

Oh man, I wish I had an answer to that haha. I think at the end of the day, somebody is going to fall in love with this kid's talent and ultimately take him top 10. At the worst, he is the next Vince Young, and VY was a decent NFL QB who showed okay progression as a passer and was always a dangerous runner. He was 30-17 as a starter in Tennessee. VY flamed out due to his personality, something I don't think will be a worry with Lamar but that's what NFL teams have to find out. I'm not sure anybody would pass on taking a chance on Young's talents even today if it came with a better head.

This has been updated a bit, just FYI for all. I wanted to include the scouting reports directly in the post via the spoilers, but I either don't know how to work them properly or the site doesn't allow you to put a spoiler in the middle of a post and leave the rest of it unspoiled after just a certain block. If there is a way to do as I just described, then please let me know.

37 minutes ago, Raves said:

Was looking at WalterFootball and they have the Northwestern QB ranked like 4th.  What do you think of him?  I know his stats aren't great but he really doesn't have much else around him.

You talking about Thorson? I've read a few glowing reports on him. I agree with you he doesn't have much to work with, but when I give him the Josh Allen treatment (accepting that the stat sheet can't say it all), I have seen a lot to like about him. Big, pretty dang mobile, pretty good arm. Yeah I second you, I wanna know what Ducktator thinks.

43 minutes ago, Raves said:

Was looking at WalterFootball and they have the Northwestern QB ranked like 4th.  What do you think of him?  I know his stats aren't great but he really doesn't have much else around him.

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

You talking about Thorson? I've read a few glowing reports on him. I agree with you he doesn't have much to work with, but when I give him the Josh Allen treatment (accepting that the stat sheet can't say it all), I have seen a lot to like about him. Big, pretty dang mobile, pretty good arm. Yeah I second you, I wanna know what Ducktator thinks.

Thorson picked up some steam going into the year as a potential sleeper. His dad had a cup of tea in the NFL and the kid has always been a solid athlete. His numbers this year have been quite pedestrian and his second half stats (5 TD's, 6 INT's, 56.5% is seven points lower than his first half completion percentage) are worrisome. If you look at his stats against strictly P5's, he has a 57.1% and 7 TD's to 10 INT's.

People try to put some blame on the surrounding cast, but on the road against Duke this year for example, both of his interceptions were just bad throws. He shows really nice touch on the deep balls but has some trouble gunning it into the intermediate routes. He's got a decent arm, so not sure what the inconsistencies are about there. I think he's shown decent potential, but I haven't taken a hard look at him since:

• I don't think he'll come out
  • What I have seen, I'm not seeing a 1st rounder or even surefire top 100 guy

Archived