Da_Ducktator's QB Rankings

Da_Ducktator

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

Where are you slotting Thorson? Sounding like he may come out. I think he's going to be above the likes Ferguson and Rudolph for me.

I'm going to have to take a closer look at him if he does indeed come out. He would probably be in that range for me though (3rd-4th round)

10 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I like the post, but is Sam Darnold really on the verge of greatness?....

I certainly think he is. The guy is playing with far worse talent around him than I think most assume because the USC name. Ever since people were getting on him about having 8 interceptions in the first five games, he has only thrown 3 INT's in the last six games while tossing 15 touchdowns.

Darnold just needs to clean some things up mechanical. Tool-wise he clearly has it and I think he shows very good football IQ overall. Given that he split a lot of his high school time between football and basketball, I'm amazed at how good of football acumen Darnold seems to display. A lot of Darnold's interceptions weren't even bad decisions (I think people see INT's and automatically assume decision-making was the issue). The one against Texas was dropped on what should have been an easy catch. The Notre Dame interception was a great play and recognition by the corner (I've touched on it before; cover two look where the LB did a great job of picking up the RB so the CB recognized it and tailed off as Darnold tried to hit the corner route). One of the Western Michigan INT's was a good throw, good decision to give his receiver a jump ball and the Trojans had it first but the guy bobbled it at the WMU corner grabbed it. Holder's INT for Stanford was another smart decision by Darnold, just a poor throw in that instance. They ran sort of a wheel route for 6'4" TE Tyler Petiite who they had matched up 1-on-1 with a LB. Right decision - give your TE a chance to go up and make a play - but Darnold underthrew it by a few yards and Holder tailed back on the play and was able to grab the underthrow. Darnold puts that 5 yards deeper, Holder has no chance on it, and he's given his weapon a chance to make the play. Decision-wise, no problem with that one. Throw-wise, didn't set his feet and thus wasn't able to get it where he wanted it to go.

On 11/15/2017 at 12:29 PM, Forge said:

Where are you slotting Thorson? Sounding like he may come out. I think he's going to be above the likes Ferguson and Rudolph for me.

I really like Thorson. He is stuck in a bad situation, but he gets caught trying to do too much for his team then he makes a bad decision. His mechanics, arm strength, high character (from reports I am no pro scout, and have no pro connections), leadership (again from reports and from taking that hot garbage outside of his RB to a 7-3 record this year), and his athleticism have him slotted in round 2. IMO at least

I will also be the first to admit he does have some issues with accuracy on his intermediate routes, but I attribute that to most of the time he is throwing on his back foot/across his body (aka a bad decision). His horrid O-Line do him 0 favors. But he throws a gorgeous deep ball, displaying great touch on that throw. I would be worried though because he has yet to put a marquee win this season (and in reality fell flat on his face against Penn State, but you can again attribute this to him worrying too much about what is going on with his line instead of keeping his eyes downfield). 

Archived