2022 Cowboys Offseason News and Notes

Matts4313

Unfortunately for us, its time for a new thread. Ill start us off:

In all my years I don't know that I've had a better chance or a better full team than this," Dak Prescott said Sunday night. "It's hard to accept knowing every year that a team's not going to be the same, some of those guys won't be back. It's just hard for me to accept right now."

Fittingly, the Cowboys head into 2022 with 22 players slated for free agency – some of those more noteworthy than others. Once they've got their coaching situation sorted, they can begin the process of determining their plans for their spring. There are marquee free agents, such as Randy Gregory and Dalton Schultz. There are key role players – perhaps none more important than Bryan Anger, who was named to the Pro Bowl in his first season as the team's punter.

"This is the funnest year I've had, as a team," Anger said Sunday. "It sucks to end."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/uncertainty-surrounds-free-agents-to-be

Mel Kiper’s latest mock draft has the Dallas Cowboys selecting George defensive end Travon Walker

The Cowboys have a lot of decisions to make before external free agency and the draft come around as they have to figure out which of their own players they want to retain. One of their pending free agents is defensive end Randy Gregory who had a quality season (but not a quality playoff game) and is likely going to be coveted by a few teams.

Whether or not the Cowboys retain Gregory remains to be seen, but perhaps Mel Kiper is operating as if they will not. In his latest mock, Kiper has the Cowboys selecting Georgia defensive end Travon Walker.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2022/1/19/22891290/2022-nfl-draft-mel-kiper-mock-draft-dallas-cowboys-improving-edge-rusher-round-one-travon-walker

End the 'my guy' approach

I'm not going to say McCarthy needs to be fired, because that's both knee-jerk reaction and one that serves only to pander for clicks, so no thanks. The reality is I've seen enough improvement over Year 1 to warrant giving him one more chance (and only one) to avoid forcing Prescott -- whom you signed to a multi-year deal -- to learn a third head coach in as many years, something that could actually have the opposite of your intended goal, so we're going to be much more scientific here and leave the feelings for Valentine's Day. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/how-to-fix-the-cowboys-in-2022-correct-recent-coaching-mistakes-rebuild-the-o-line-and-more/

Ezekiel Elliott’s best days are far behind him, but can the Dallas Cowboys cut him?

The problem with Zeke is two-fold:

1. He’s not a productive weapon for the Dallas Cowboys anymore
  2. The Dallas Cowboys are obsessed with trying to prove that fact wrong

The Dallas Cowboys running game was a disaster

The Dallas Cowboys running game cratered this past season. From Week 9 on, Dallas produced a 37.7% success rate on the ground to go with a -.074 in expected points added/play.

That means 62.3% of running plays hurt the Cowboys scoring chances on that drive. This explains that on average, plays to Zeke offered up a net loss in that time. Zeke specifically seemed to decline dramatically midseason. He noticeably hit a wall, which syncs up with reports of said PCL injury.

https://sportdfw.com/2022/01/19/is-cutting-ezekiel-elliott-an-option-for-the-dallas-cowboys/

And a special little tribute to the fans who said they were leaving us. It starts at the right lyric, you only need about 10 seconds to get through it:

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

They’re all there in the thread.

1. Cap is a myth
2. 3-5 yrs is an eternity in football. 
• In 2018, 21 players played 500 or more snaps on offense or defense for DAL… 10 of those were no longer on the team to end 2021, and 3 more will be FA in 2022
3. BPA is a myth. Multiple factors go into draft.
4. Players > picks. Known commodity > unknown
5. Players development is not linear.
6. No such thing as 3-4 or 4-3 defenses.

From the other thread. This is good stuff, wanted to make sure people saw it. 

1 minute ago, WizardHawk said:

So he just needs rest, yet they gave him none…with a very capable backup.

Make this make sense to me.

:moving you to the new thread:

To be fair, Pollard was out for a good bit as well. But as I said before, I dont think rest changes anything. RB's cant function with a bad line, especially when they are slow. Zeke has been slow for 3 years. The only reason why Pollard does well as he can make people miss in the backfield. Zeke cant. 

“And our number one focus moving forward is the penalties,” McCarthy said, via 105.3 The Fan. “It’s way too many . . . you look at the pre-snap (penalties), there’s no excuse for it. That’s been a focus all year. You know, the thing I struggle with as a head coach doing this now for a number of years is, I have comparables over a 15-year period and this team here is clearly one of the better teams I’ve coached as far as their mental preparation and their mental execution. . . . Our mental grades don’t coincide with the penalties, because they usually go together. That’s something we’ll take a very hard look at.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/19/mike-mccarthy-no-1-focus-moving-forward-is-on-penalties/

Only a couple weeks late in deciding to clean up the penalties big Mike. 

58 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

:moving you to the new thread:

To be fair, Pollard was out for a good bit as well. But as I said before, I dont think rest changes anything. RB's cant function with a bad line, especially when they are slow. Zeke has been slow for 3 years. The only reason why Pollard does well as he can make people miss in the backfield. Zeke cant. 

Week 4. Hot damn this is coaching malpractice. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Week 4. Hot damn this is coaching malpractice. 

That’s what I’m saying. Who in their right mind runs a RB out there who’s already slow, now on a bum knee behind an OL that doesn’t run block well? All while they have a capable backup who’s performing better.

It makes no sense. 

Edited by WizardHawk
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I wasn’t overly thrilled with MM hire, but not totally off the reservation either, after recent news and today’s presser I’ve pretty much thrown in towel. 

Only thing I liked about MM is he brought killer coordinators. Bones is great. And I was one of the few overtly thrilled with Quinn. Would love to see MM fired. 

• Like 1