2022 Cowboys Offseason News and Notes

Matts4313

Dak does need to improve with his anticipation throws. Often times you will see on slant or crossing passes him throwing behind the WRs. He almost always misses Zeke on those dump off passes to the sides. Either throws it too high or leads it. I think a 2 TE set may help him since he is good with straight vertical shots with his man planted right in front of him. He is descent with the deep ball and curls and come back routes. But what will help him the most is getting a better LG and/or C to run the ball and pass protect. 

12 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

"isnt capable" is extremely incorrect because weve seen him do it a thousand times. 'Prefers not to'  would be more accurate. But again, Rodgers and Brady play that same way. Its how they keep their INTs so low from year to year. 

We both know that isn’t true. The throws that both Rodgers and Brady make are vastly more difficult than what Dak makes, and they do it with far more consistency. Every analyst and broadcaster talks about that, so to suggest that Dak is anywhere near guys like Brady and Rodgers is mental gymnastics at its finest.

Edited by plan9misfit

Just now, plan9misfit said:

We both know that isn’t true. The throws that both Rodgers and Brady make are vastly more difficult than what Dak makes, and they do it with far more consistency. Every analyst and broadcaster talks about that, so to suggest that Dak is anywhere near guys like Brady and Rodgers is mental gymnastics at its finest.

Most broadcasters are speaking down to the lowest common denominator. They will literally say the wrong thing because its easy to digest for the average fan. Neither one of them make "vastly more difficult" throws than Dak. Especially if you factor in protection and weapons. Their OL's are significantly better and their WRs dont have issues with drops. 

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Most broadcasters are speaking down to the lowest common denominator. They will literally say the wrong thing because its easy to digest for the average fan. Neither one of them make "vastly more difficult" throws than Dak. Especially if you factor in protection and weapons. Their OL's are significantly better and their WRs dont have issues with drops. 

Those are excuses. Rodgers spent the brunt of his career with terrible o-lines and still had success. And, drops happen for a variety of reasons. Some are on the WR, and others are on the QB for not putting the ball in the right spot.

You know, I find it amazing that the best QBs in the league (past and present) never really had to deal with WRs constantly dropping the ball. Hmm, wonder why…

4 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Rodgers spent the brunt of his career with terrible o-lines and still had success. 

This is patently false. The Packers have had, arguably, the best OL in the NFL over the last 15 years.

4 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

You know, I find it amazing that the best QBs in the league (past and present) never really had to deal with WRs constantly dropping the ball. Hmm, wonder why…

Because having good weapons helps QBs become the best? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

This is patently false. The Packers have had, arguably, the best OL in the NFL over the last 15 years.

Because having good weapons helps QBs become the best? 

Brady and Rodgers rarely had great weapons. They had solid players, but it’s not like they had a laundry list of superstars. Brady had the best receiving group of his entire career last year in Tampa, while Rodgers takes mediocre and pedestrian guys and makes them look good. Dak has Cooper, Lamb, and Gallup and can barely get the ball to them.

1 hour ago, D82 said:

I cant wait for Zeke to no longer be the focal point of this organization. He is such a detriment to our team both financially and philosophically. And I am not even saying Zeke couldnt be a useful player. He could absolutely help a team. But this version of him is hurting us. 

Gallup's doesnt surprise me because it seems the majority of his throws are deep routes. 

Lamb's is due to the fact that he drops way too many passes. 

The rest seem pretty accurate. I would imagine the top of the list has a bunch of RBs/TEs as those are normally pitch and catch type routes. 

35 minutes ago, D82 said:

What a cop out for MM. If he actually said that than he is a huge donkey. That said, ultimately it would be the OL coaches making the recommendations, right? 

34 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Brady and Rodgers rarely had great weapons. They had solid players, but it’s not like they had a laundry list of superstars. Brady had the best receiving group of his entire career last year in Tampa, while Rodgers takes mediocre and pedestrian guys and makes them look good. Dak has Cooper, Lamb, and Gallup and can barely get the ball to them.

Thats a strange was of saying "Dak led the #1 offense 3 years in a row, when playing, and often a top 3 passing offense."

59 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Okay... 

No 1  Dak is no way no how any where close to being as "good" a QB as Rodgers or Brady,.

No 2 Saying Brady or Rodgers rarely had great weapons IMO is just crazy WRONG....  for example  Brady has spent most of his career with arguably the best TE in the history of football.    Plus a lot of other WR's "better" then Coop, Lamb and Gallup.  Plus there is little doubt that Brady had a "huge" edge in coaching...  Same for Rodgers IMO, who also had a lot of WR's that I would say are better then our "three". Plus how many super bowls has Rodgers won, more the Dak of course but you get the point..

No 3 I would also say over their career Brady and Rodgers have had a better OL then Dak had this season.   edit: in other words I doubt Brady or Rodgers had a success play off run with a OL as bad as we had at the end of the year.....

No 4.  Brady is just a strange situation and no way should any comparisons be made to him...  Personally I feel Brady turned into the perfect storm.  IF he was drafted by any other team or any other year he would have not been what he is... but that is speculation.   Also remember Brady has had bad games, bad years, bad playoffs it is just those are over shadowed by his crazy success.  Rodgers, to start his career he was in some ways a lot like Romo throwing it up and hope for the best, and he got it time and time again.  Later in his career he settled that down and was much more cautious where he was throwing the ball.  IF you listen to a lot of pundits on talk radio Rodgers is getting a lot of hit for being too conservative in the loss to SF. We complain about Dak mostly in the fail of this season's play off game....  YET Rodgers gets a pass for doing even worse just because he has a rep for being "the best".  HUH......   What I mean is don't look at the negatives and ignore the positives.  Dak the first 6 games was great.. the offense was great...  Dak the final half of the season was "junk" against quality teams....  so...  yeah Dak deserves all the hate, negativity for how the season ended but don't forget the first 6 in reviewing how things might go different.

no 5.   This concept.. idea that so and so "will never win a super bowl" IMO is flawed and silly.   IT IS A TEAM from coaches to players that win. YES a QB who plays poorly can loose you a game (for the record I put Dak's play in the SF loss about NO 4 or 5 in why we loss), but for the most part looses are a combination of coaching and player failure or JUST PLAIN BAD LUCK.

change subject...   the issue with Zeke... Matts4313 said...

"To be fair, Pollard was out for a good bit as well. But as I said before, I dont think rest changes anything. RB's cant function with a bad line, especially when they are slow. Zeke has been slow for 3 years. The only reason why Pollard does well as he can make people miss in the backfield. Zeke cant." 

In principle I don't disagree at all with this comment. I doubt we cut Zeke and it is fair to say he is not the same RB he was but I think also it is fair to say the end of season should not define what we have in 2022.   The question of Pollard has come up multiple times.  I personally feel some times we loose sight of the trees for the forest.  Pollard is by far a quicker and more nimble runner then Zeke.   Pollard also even with the improvement I saw in 2021 is not as good running between the tackles as Zeke.  Pollard also is not as good reading and picking up the blitz.  Both huge parts of being a every day RB in todays game and our O.   My only thought is YES Pollard does a good job making people miss but I would add a caveat to that. Pollard excels when we give him the ball in space but is not as consistent in that when we are just handing the ball to run between the tackles.  We also should be aware that if we make Pollard our every day back then the abuse he takes getting those three four yards up the middle that are so critical to success of the offense will greatly increase the wear and sooner rather then later cost him that step of speed that makes him so special when he gets the ball on the outside. I will also add Pollard does not have the instincts of a true RB IMO. 

Edited by quiller
can't type

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

What a cop out for MM. If he actually said that than he is a huge donkey. That said, ultimately it would be the OL coaches making the recommendations, right? 

He did actually say this the other day.  I was watching the press conference. Say press conf. he said he knows how to win, blah blah blah

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

He did actually say this the other day.  I was watching the press conference. Say press conf. he said he knows how to win, blah blah blah

Ive been neutral-slight positive lean on McCarthy because I have liked that:

1. He forced Nolan to change his ways mid-season

2. He fired Nolan and promptly upgraded

3. He pushed us to be more aggressive in certain situations

But attitudes reflect leadership. And the difference in personal accountability between Jason Garrett led teams and Mike McCarthy led teams is stark. Jasons attitude was "play good enough that you beat the other team by more than the refs can screw you". McCarthy is very much "here are a ton of excuses, point fingers, not my fault". I DESPISE that attitude personally. 

I think I am firmly on the McCarthy has to go bandwagon. His lack of leadership is starting to outweigh the positives in my mind. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 2