2022 Cowboys Offseason News and Notes

Matts4313

58 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Well, looks like the off season isn’t going to be without some drama. 

Yeah I didn’t want to say anything since it hasn’t been confirmed by a legit media source. But this rumor about KJ started around 1 pm and has been spreading like wildfire since.

Just now, DaBoys said:

I have no idea what that post says. 

Yeah...just seems like a lot of rambling. 

Haven't seen anyone credible link Joseph to this either, so I won't jump to conclusions. That said...he did have character concerns coming out of colege so...

Meanwhile Asante Samuel, Jr. was sitting right there...

31 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

SJ makes my eyes and ears bleed. He’s going to be difficult to endure for the next 20 yrs. Pretty tough to sell me on this.

Why my fan card got turned in. This team’s going to be awful once Dak leaves. 

22 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

SJ makes my eyes and ears bleed. He’s going to be difficult to endure for the next 20 yrs. Pretty tough to sell me on this.

I dont think either statement is egregious. Teams win superbowls based on the entire body of work, draft, FA signings, player development - -  over multiple years. As for the second post:

1 hour ago, TVScout said:

But at the same time, when you look at production and look at what Dorance Armstrong has done, he’s right there from a production standpoint with Randy.

FWIW:

DA   https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/ArmsDo00.htm

RG  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GregRa00.htm

6 less starts, 1 less sack, 5 less pressures. On the flipside though, DA actually played more snaps than RG (44% vs 38%). 

I think RG is physically better, but its not like the gap between him and RG is extremely large based on last year. And I doubt DA sumoplex's an OL in the 4th quarter of a tight playoff games, so DA might have the edge in the mental department. 

Edited by Matts4313

36 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I dont think either statement is egregious. Teams win superbowls based on the entire body of work, draft, FA signings, player development - -  over multiple years. As for the second post:

6 less starts, 1 less sack, 5 less pressures. On the flipside though, DA actually played more snaps than RG (44% vs 38%). 

I think RG is physically better, but its not like the gap between him and RG is extremely large based on last year. And I doubt DA sumoplex's an OL in the 4th quarter of a tight playoff games, so DA might have the edge in the mental department. 

Says a lot that we were offering a 38% snap defensive player $14M per year, then, doesn't it? RG and D-Law were quite good in our last playoff win against the Seahawks- they were the reason that team was so afraid to throw on us (well, outside of their geezer coach).

I've always liked Armstrong, but he's more of a Mincey/Mayowa type that can hold down the fort in the regular season but will get stonewalled by Bakhtiari and let Rodgers have 5, 6, 7+ seconds in a big game. We've seen this act before and it doesn't end well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Says a lot that we were offering a 38% snap defensive player $14M per year, then, doesn't it? RG and D-Law were quite good in our last playoff win against the Seahawks- they were the reason that team was so afraid to throw on us (well, outside of their geezer coach).

I've always liked Armstrong, but he's more of a Mincey/Mayowa type that can hold down the fort in the regular season but will get stonewalled by Bakhtiari and let Rodgers have 5, 6, 7+ seconds in a big game. We've seen this act before and it doesn't end well.

RG flashes elite potential from time to time. I was a huge supporter of RG and for many years called him the best pure pass rusher on the team (before Parsons). But if we reflect on his 6 (?) years with us, it was all based on potential. He never had a 16 game season of upper tier play. As much as I hated Tanks contract, he at least had a couple great seasons under his name. 

All that said, we really do need to add more at DE. Either through the draft, or one of the many vet FAs that havent been offered a contract (Vernon, JPP, etc). 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

RG flashes elite potential from time to time. I was a huge supporter of RG and for many years called him the best pure pass rusher on the team (before Parsons). But if we reflect on his 6 (?) years with us, it was all based on potential. He never had a 16 game season of upper tier play. As much as I hated Tanks contract, he at least had a couple great seasons under his name. 

All that said, we really do need to add more at DE. Either through the draft, or one of the many vet FAs that havent been offered a contract (Vernon, JPP, etc). 

No disagreements here- can see how neither side was compelled to make it work when push came to shove with the negotiations. The late penalties against SF may have been the “last straw” there, despite the fact that we did try to keep him.

The RDE by committee approach just vaguely feels like the 2018 WR by committee thing, or frankly how our pass rush looked the first few years post-Ware. Hopefully D-Law stays healthy, Parsons somehow gets better, the LB corps plays well enough for Parsons to get plenty of EDGE snaps, etc etc

• Like 2

On 4/19/2022 at 1:48 PM, WizardHawk said:

Re Gregory.  Why even offer Gregory a contract then, albeit a fairly lucrative one, if you had a just as good player on the roster who is considerably cheaper? Just let Gregory walk. Take the savings and fill other needs.

• Like 3