2022 Cowboys Offseason News and Notes

Matts4313

5 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I cant wait for Zeke to no longer be the focal point of this organization. He is such a detriment to our team both financially and philosophically. And I am not even saying Zeke couldnt be a useful player. He could absolutely help a team. But this version of him is hurting us. 

Gallup's doesnt surprise me because it seems the majority of his throws are deep routes. 

Lamb's is due to the fact that he drops way too many passes. 

The rest seem pretty accurate. I would imagine the top of the list has a bunch of RBs/TEs as those are normally pitch and catch type routes. 

What a cop out for MM. If he actually said that than he is a huge donkey. That said, ultimately it would be the OL coaches making the recommendations, right? 

Thats a strange was of saying "Dak led the #1 offense 3 years in a row, when playing, and often a top 3 passing offense."

If this offense adondons the idea of being a run first unit and makes Prescott the focal point, with this line and our WRs that cant seem to get open, we are SCREWED!

Prescott takes wayyy to long to make a decision to throw, or don't throw and run, and his accuracy is an issue.

Every now and then he throws a gem ala Cooper in the WCG.

But that type of pass is way to inconsistent with him.

If Zeke is truly shot, start Pollard and use Zeke sparingly.

But get some maulers up front.

Edited by Rtnldave

9 hours ago, atran35 said:

So quick fix to the OLINE. 

Move Lal Collins to LG. 

Start Terrence Steele to RT. 

Draft Best OLINE PLAYER AVAILABLE with 1st round pick? 

Like the first 2 parts.  If the best Oline player available is a significantly worse prospect than another position I'm taking the better player 

34 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

If this offense adondons the idea of being a run first unit and makes Prescott the focal point, with this line and our WRs that cant seem to get open, we are SCREWED!

Prescott takes wayyy to long to make a decision to throw, or don't throw and run, and his accuracy is an issue.

Every now and then he throws a gem ala Cooper in the WCG.

But that type of pass is way to inconsistent with him.

If Zeke is truly shot, start Pollard and use Zeke sparingly.

But get some maulers up front.

Bud, I need you to do me a favor. Take away your bias's towards our complete and total failure last week when our entire team, including Dak, pooped the bed. Just read this next comment for what it is.

At maximum you can have 5 WRs in routes. The Cowboys send 3 WR 1 TE and then use Zeke to block. So 4 receiving options. The first half of the season, teams tried to beat us by blitzing Dak. Zeke, to his credit, picked up a lot of blitzes which allowed Dak to be the #1 QB in the NFL against pressure. Thats awesome.

The second half of the season, teams stopped blitzing. That means they were beating us with their front 4. 4 defensive linemen against 5 OL + Zeke (as a blocker). Their 4 was better than our 6. 

That also means that we had 3 WRs + 1 TE in routes VS 7.... SEVEN... people in coverage. Easy math tells you that all our receiving targets were doubled except Shultz on most plays. Its obviously not that simple, but the game plan was very simple. "Rush 4, and make Dak try to find an open guy while we play exclusively coverage". Now that plan shouldnt, and normally doesnt, work. Because if you give a QB enough time against zone defense, someone always comes open..... The problem was even with our 6 trying to block their 4 - - we gave up the most (or near most) pressures, the most sacks, the most QB hits IN THE ENTIRE NFL.

There is no QB in the NFL, ever, who can beat 7 mean in coverage while also getting murdered by a 4 man pass rush. Its simply impossible. 

32 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

How bout we make Zeke starting FB?

I made an entire thread about it. Zeke would be the best FB the NFL has seen in 30 years. 

Edited by Matts4313

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Bud, I need you to do me a favor. Take away your bias's towards our complete and total failure last week when our entire team, including Dak, pooped the bed. Just read this next comment for what it is.

At maximum you can have 5 WRs in routes. The Cowboys send 3 WR 1 TE and then use Zeke to block. So 4 receiving options. The first half of the season, teams tried to beat us by blitzing Dak. Zeke, to his credit, picked up a lot of blitzes which allowed Dak to be the #1 QB in the NFL against pressure. Thats awesome.

The second half of the season, teams stopped blitzing. That means they were beating us with their front 4. 4 defensive linemen against 5 OL + Zeke (as a blocker). Their 4 was better than our 6. 

That also means that we had 3 WRs + 1 TE in routes VS 7.... SEVEN... people in coverage. Easy math tells you that all our receiving targets were doubled except Shultz on most plays. Its obviously not that simple, but the game plan was very simple. "Rush 4, and make Dak try to find an open guy while we play exclusively coverage". Now that plan shouldnt, and normally doesnt, work. Because if you give a QB enough time against zone defense, someone always comes open..... The problem was even with our 6 trying to block their 4 - - we gave up the most (or near most) pressures, the most sacks, the most QB hits IN THE ENTIRE NFL.

I made an entire thread about it. Zeke would be the best FB the NFL has seen in 30 years. 

You seem to think my opinion is based on 1 game.

The fact is, I've seen Prescott play this way several times this season.

Denver

KC

Ariz

LV

To name a few.

Maybe the reason our line looks soooo bad is because they are being asked to block for a QB that takes forever to make a decision?

I have text multiple times this year..."why does it take so long for our pass plays to develop?"

You can't keep asking your oline to hold their blocks for a 7 step drop and then waiting another 3 or 4 seconds for your QB to wait for his receiver to get open before he throws the ball.

This would also account for a great number of holding calls. Oh wait, it did.

Bud.

5 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

You seem to think my opinion is based on 1 game.

The fact is, I've seen Prescott play this way several times this season.

Denver

KC

Ariz

LV

To name a few.

Maybe the reason our line looks soooo bad is because they are being asked to block for a QB that takes forever to make a decision?

I have text multiple times this year..."why does it take so long for our pass plays to develop?"

You can't keep asking your oline to hold their blocks for a 7 step drop and then waiting another 3 or 4 seconds for your QB to wait for his receiver to get open before he throws the ball.

This would also account for a great number of holding calls. Oh wait, it did.

Bud.

Dak was the 9th fastest QB in getting the ball out of his hands. So this theory is dead wrong. 

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Ive been neutral-slight positive lean on McCarthy because I have liked that:

1. He forced Nolan to change his ways mid-season

2. He fired Nolan and promptly upgraded

3. He pushed us to be more aggressive in certain situations

But attitudes reflect leadership. And the difference in personal accountability between Jason Garrett led teams and Mike McCarthy led teams is stark. Jasons attitude was "play good enough that you beat the other team by more than the refs can screw you". McCarthy is very much "here are a ton of excuses, point fingers, not my fault". I DESPISE that attitude personally. 

I think I am firmly on the McCarthy has to go bandwagon. His lack of leadership is starting to outweigh the positives in my mind. 

Part of me wondered if it was shade towards the boy wonder, who many were ready to give the reigns to and the Joneses for not letting him bring in his own man.  

But, to the rest I agree, he has worn out his grace period rather quickly. I think you need to look no further than as he said the nervousness/angst his team had for playoff game. I tend to believe that’s been an issue longer than just 1 game.

Edited by WizardHawk

32 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Dak was the 9th fastest QB in getting the ball out of his hands. So this theory is dead wrong. 

Another stat. I got eyes pal. Stats can be misleading.

Watching Dak run around waiting for a receiver to get open, rather than throw him open or throw to a spot and let the receiver make a play, is something I witnessed too much this season. So maybe he was the 9th fastest, but that does not make him fast or worse, accurate, which is why he doesn't do the things I, and many other professional analysts and former SB winning QBs have said.

6 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Another stat. I got eyes pal. Stats can be misleading.

Watching Dak run around waiting for a receiver to get open, rather than throw him open or throw to a spot and let the receiver make a play, is something I witnessed too much this season. So maybe he was the 9th fastest, but that does not make him fast or worse, accurate, which is why he doesn't do the things I, and many other professional analysts and former SB winning QBs have said.

Youve got eyes, but there is no way you are watching the other 31 QBs with enough regularity to have an opinion on how Dak stacks up. Thats the point of stats. To compare players when you dont have the opportunity to watch them. 

Dak's release time has been good to great for years. Daks accuracy is the best in Cowboys history and towards the top of all QBs - - **EVER**. Broadcasters are say stupid stuff all the time because its the easy solution instead of explaining actual coverages and counter measures. If you take comments mid-game seriously I would beg you to reconsider.

Dak had a bad game. But Dak is still a top 5 QB when his OL isnt playing like the worst in the league. And this isnt me making some weird reactionary take. I made the comment in 2017 that Dak only needs 1 thing to be great - protection.

Edited by Matts4313

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Youve got eyes, but there is no way you are watching the other 31 QBs with enough regularity to have an opinion on how Dak stacks up. Thats the point of stats. To compare players when you dont have the opportunity to watch them. 

Dak's release time has been good to great for years. Daks accuracy is the best in Cowboys history and towards the top of all QBs - - **EVER**. Broadcasters are say stupid stuff all the time because its the easy solution instead of explaining actual coverages and counter measures. 

Dak had a bad game. But Dak is still a top 5 QB when his OL isnt playing like the worst in the league. And this isnt me making some weird reactionary take. I made the comment in 2017 that Dak only needs 1 thing to be great - protection.

Best accuracy for a Cowboys QB???? 

Regarding stats, the only one that truly matters is this, titles. 

Aikman's accuracy was unparalleled in his day.

That ball would be out before the receiver would break and be dead on target when the receiver turned around.

What about the Ariz game? Or the Denver or KC game?

SF was a carbon copy.

Look, if u you believe that this team is going to build an online that can protect Dak for that long, without taking holding penalties, then you will have a very long wait.

16 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Best accuracy for a Cowboys QB???? 

Regarding stats, the only one that truly matters is this, titles. 

Thats a team accomplishment. Not a stat. Those are two different things.

Aikman's accuracy was unparalleled in his day.

That ball would be out before the receiver would break and be dead on target when the receiver turned around.

I remember all the legends about Troy being able to place a dime anywhere on the field. I literally watched him most offseasons training at St.Eds  here in Austin. But the reality is that Aikman was basically Eli Manning on steroids. A very average regular season QB who turned it up to 11 in the playoffs. Its why he is a legend. But go back and watch games from the 90s. Some are on youtube, but the entire library is on NFL.com if you subscribe. Aikman is probably the ~4th, maybe 5th, most accurate QB weve had if you rewatch the *regular season* games.

And yes, I am very well aware about all the rule changes. But even Staubach and White showed more accuracy in the regular season. Playoffs were a different animal. Aikman was ridiculous in the playoffs. 

What about the Ariz game? Or the Denver or KC game?

SF was a carbon copy.

What about them? They all did the same thing. They beat our 6 blockers with 4 men. They had 7 people cover our 4 receiving targets.

Look, if u you believe that this team is going to build an online that can protect Dak for that long, without taking holding penalties, then you will have a very long wait.

Its doesnt have to be "very long". According to PBWR, which measures how much times the OL holds their blocks in seconds, we were nearly dead last. I am not asking for #1... But our OL was #32 to end the season... It has to be better. Much better. 

Edited by Matts4313

8 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Thats a team accomplishment. Not a stat. Those are two different things.

I remember all the legends about Troy being able to place a dime anywhere on the field. I literally watched him most offseasons training at St.Eds  here in Austin. But the reality is that Aikman was basically Eli Manning on steroids. A very average regular season QB who turned it up to 11 in the playoffs. Its why he is a legend. But go back and watch games from the 90s. Some are on youtube, but the entire library is on NFL.com if you subscribe. Aikman is probably the ~4th, maybe 5th, most accurate QB weve had if you rewatch the *regular season* games.

And yes, I am very well aware about all the rule changes. But even Staubach and White showed more accuracy in the regular season. Playoffs were a different animal. Aikman was ridiculous in the playoffs. 

What about them? They all did the same thing. They beat our 6 blockers with 4 men. They had 7 people cover our 4 receiving targets.

Its doesnt have to be "very long". According to PBWR, which measures how much times the OL holds their blocks in seconds, we were nearly dead last. I am not asking for #1... But our OL was #32 to end the season... It has to be better. Much better. 

Well, what good is a QB who racks up regular season stats only to get beat by a QB that can "turn it up in the playoffs?"

Your knowledge of stats and use of algorithms is impressive, I will give you that. But, I'm tired of the Danny White, Tony Romo and now Dak Prescott "choke in the big game" QBs.

And NO, I don't want to go back to Quincy Carter or Drew Bledsoe or a host of other zeros or retreads.

But if Prescott can manage a post season game with 3 step drops and ball is out, and we lean heavy on the running game, a get a damn DT that can collapse the middle or stuff the run, then I think we got a shot. 

34 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Well, what good is a QB who racks up regular season stats only to get beat by a QB that can "turn it up in the playoffs?"

Your knowledge of stats and use of algorithms is impressive, I will give you that. But, I'm tired of the Danny White, Tony Romo and now Dak Prescott "choke in the big game" QBs.

And NO, I don't want to go back to Quincy Carter or Drew Bledsoe or a host of other zeros or retreads.

But if Prescott can manage a post season game with 3 step drops and ball is out, and we lean heavy on the running game, a get a damn DT that can collapse the middle or stuff the run, then I think we got a shot. 

The bold…really? I can’t say too much about White, but I’d hardly label Dak and Romo as dudes who choke in big games. 

1 hour ago, Rtnldave said:

But, I'm tired of the Danny White, Tony Romo and now Dak Prescott "choke in the big game" QBs.

Amen. 

But I feel the need to point out that Dak threw the entire team on his back the first 3 playoff games. He was arse this year. But this year is the exception to the rule as it stands right now. Dak is closer to Aikman with the "big lights = big game" mentality than Romo. 

4 hours ago, D82 said:

The bold…really? I can’t say too much about White, but I’d hardly label Dak and Romo as dudes who choke in big games. 

So where is their trip to an NFCCG, let alone a SB?

You, Matt's and I have very different understandings of "choke."

In the WC the, Prescott had 2 opportunities to go down and score and could not. His defense got him the ball back twice AND held SF to 1 score in the second half, compliments of an INT by Dak.

Not sure what part of this you are not getting, but fom what I witnessed in the game, and others, he took too long to either throw, decide I run or just get rid of it. Thus leading to a defeat.

If that isn't choking,im lost.

Edited by Rtnldave