Raider fan coming in peace... tell me about Jim Harbaugh?

RaidersAreOne

Obviously there are a ton of rumors flying around about Jim potentially returning to the NFL. Some think Chicago but a lot of whispers about Vegas these days. Some of us in the Raider section think he's just using the NFL as a way to leverage a raise, however on the off chance he does become an NFL HC again  I would love to know what you guys thought about him. Any and all info would be appreciated.

• Expertise
  • Strengths vs. weaknesses
  • Coaching tendencies
  • Potential connections/staff he would support
  • Schemes

Not getting my hopes up too high, but the thought of Harbs on our sideline would be such an upgrade over what we've had for a long, long time imo.

Loved him when he was here. He’s an egomaniac for sure. He couldn’t get along with the GM -although that GM was Trent Baalke - and also had an incident when he told our owner to leave a team meeting because ‘it was for men’. I think he’d get players going and would be great for a quick turnaround. I think his methods kind of wear on players after a bit. I remember Alex Boone calling him out about how much he was pushing guys after they had just gotten to the Super Bowl; which honestly being uber competitive isn’t an awful thing. I think Harbaugh is good for the NFL and I’d be happy to see him back. I’m kind of torn because at the time it kind of seemed like he might have forced him self out with his behavior, but seeing Baalke do all this crap again in Jacksonville kind of makes me think he was fighting an uphill battle the whole time.

• Like 5

If my team hired Harbaugh (not ever going to happen for obvious reasons), I’d want him to bring in a strong OC though.  Those teams we had were built on a power run game and an elite defense. Kap never seemed to develop under Harbaugh’s tutelage, whether that was on Harbaugh or Kap is anyone’s guess.

• Like 1

He was great at bringing in talented support staff (Vic Fangio and Greg Roman were so far ahead of the curve schematically - they are still important figures today) and brought discipline and grit to a team that had been a confused and junky mess for a decade. That team had collected a lot of talent via repeated high draft picks that Harbaugh and staff got everything from. However, his act did get repetitive and thin. Will he have as much talent to work with this time on his coaching staff and playing personnel? That matters a great deal.

52 minutes ago, GW21 said:

If my team hired Harbaugh (not ever going to happen for obvious reasons), I’d want him to bring in a strong OC though.  Those teams we had were built on a power run game and an elite defense. Kap never seemed to develop under Harbaugh’s tutelage, whether that was on Harbaugh or Kap is anyone’s guess.

I think that's more on Greg Roman than Harbaugh. 

13 minutes ago, mw2noobbuster said:

I think that's more on Greg Roman than Harbaugh. 

Yeah it’s certainly possible, which is why I’d be sure to bring a strong OC. Lamar Jackson seemed to make strides with Roman as his OC, obviously this year he regressed, so I’m leaning towards it being more on Kap personally. Either way if you pair Harbaugh with a strong OC and bring in someone like Fangio to run the defense I think things would work out pretty well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GW21 said:

Yeah it’s certainly possible, which is why I’d be sure to bring a strong OC. Lamar Jackson seemed to make strides with Roman as his OC, obviously this year he regressed, so I’m leaning towards it being more on Kap personally. Either way if you pair Harbaugh with a strong OC and bring in someone like Fangio to run the defense I think things would work out pretty well. 

Sometimes I wonder did Kaep spend too much time in the weight room and not the film room? Oh well.

• Like 1

He's great for years 1-3 but how long he can keep the locker room engaged in his aggressive competitive approach. I say this because every second of his life wants to compete. I'm willing to bet on him as I'm a massive fan. But he can over time be too much. The one thing he's going to put a great coaching staff together. 

he's going to put a physical presence and power run down your throat mentality in that locker room. He's very old school in this way, you will have a full back. Not sure how he will adapt to the current NFL. But id assume he will be fine coming from college. Expect emphasis in the trenches. 

Edited by 49erurtaza

Energy and great quotes.

His offenses at University of San Diego and Stanford were predicated on one read. He means to simplify the offense so his QB can make quick decisions. That's what he brought to the NFL, and Greg Roman being a master of the running game, but a simpleton of the passing game, applied a lot of that concept with the 49ers. We'd often run plays where a guy would be running wide open, but he wasn't even considered as an option, because he wasn't the read, he was the decoy. So simplicity does work, and it makes for a quick turnaround for a struggling offense, but when other teams start figuring you out, what can you do? Other than trust your match-ups, I guess. In that sense, I don't necessarily think he's a good fit for the Raiders. But I don't know if his philosophy has evolved during his time at michigan. I haven't really watched. If he comes back to the NFL, he'll have some measure of success. But I believe he'll burn bridges and get more people hating on him, and eventually, he will limit the pool of players and coaches who want to work with him. Is he still on good terms with the coaches he worked with? I really don't know. But as a player, playing for him, you just know he'll be the lightning rod that will attract all criticism, and he'll fight for you publicly. Maybe not in private, but he'll be great in press conferences.

• Like 1