Do you see what I see?

armsteeld

13 hours ago, 43M said:

We all have our unique views and opinions on these players,  so I wont get too deep into this....but I don't think I could possibly disagree with this statement any more.

TBH, I am not sure what else you would want to see. He is a 5th year guy with 4 years of starting experience, played in playoff games against major competition and didn't back down, is 44-7 as a starter for a team with 8 total wins the two years prior (3 of those 7 loses coming to Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State  -- well above the Cincinnati weight class with Bama and the Dawgs being his only two losses in the last 2 years). 

He is mentally capable of handling a varied offense, making calls at the line (I've read he made the O-Line protection calls too), he was solid at processing the defense prior to the snap, confirming coverage after, and working through progressions to make the right read. He naturally moves in the pocket (like, the anti-Mason). 

This is all just talking intangibles and the mental side, I haven't (and don't intend to) touch the physicals. But that's what I look at in terms of calling him NFL ready. I have no fear he will go out be a leader and be able to handle the mental/intangible parts of the game. I could be wrong here, but it seems you are just looking for a better prospect. Zach Wilson was a better prospect, but he was in no way ready to play NFL games mentally. 

There is a lot to worry about with Ridder on the physical side. Is it an accuracy problem or an aiming problem? Is the hitch in the arm motion a long term problem? Was the deep ball issues mental blocks on being perfect or something more? Does his frame work out in the league? There are a ton of boxes to try to check as a QB going into the league, but the intangibles and mental aspect he seems to have locked up. For most teams asking him to manage a game, not turn the ball over, and distribute the ball to the right read early on (like we probably will) -- I am very comfortable with him starting year 1. 

I went way to long on that....but, really, there is very little to talk about this week. Wanna chat about Bill Belichick's nonsense trade!? 😎

10 hours ago, Chieferific said:

1st Rd picks should not be developmental players regardless of position.

Kinda depends on your definition of "developmental". Would you not touch Mahomes or Allen? Or are they exceptions to the rules? Jarvis Jones was a polished player with zero developmental upside. How would he fall on "not developmental" first rounder? 

I think it's a good thought on paper to follow, but I believe position and draft slot matter a great deal in that too. I would never draft a WR in round 1 based on traits, but I think you NEED to in round one for QB today. Polished WR's without the traits have tons of success at the next level, polished QB's without the traits do not. The further you get away from pick 1, the less guys have both polish and traits. Positions like Edge are tricky too. Without the traits you can't be a top end player, but without the polish you fail too. 

I agree overall with the ideal that you shouldn't draft Artie Burns and Terrell Edmunds because they have traits you can talk yourself into coaching them into a first round pick... But I do think there are more factors at play. 

7 hours ago, jebrick said:

There are about 10 players in this draft that are nearly NFL ready.  All the rest need to learn their position

In a sense, all rookies are developmental.

Its largely a matter of how much developing they need, and how much will that development matter to their success.

I dont necessarily care if whoever we draft is "NFL ready", but I have to be confident that they are capable of being developed into quality NFL players....hence why I dont want any of these QBs at 20.  :/

• Like 2