Do you see what I see?

armsteeld

15 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

The thing that separates Davis from other DL is he has quickness, power, gets off blocks, plays like he feels he's the best player on the field, and has the quickness to flow down the LoS and Chase down RBs. 

Everyone wants a strong OL to free up Najee and give the QB time to throw the ball. Davis is just as important because he's going to allow the ILBs behind him to eat. He commands a double team most of the time. He can push the pocket as a passrusher but he has all the tools to develop into being a wrecking ball which frees up TJ, Alex, Heyward, and Adams to be even more of a menace on QBs.

Not saying he doesn’t do those things. More it would be a concern of the bend and leverage, and is he good enough to get away with high pad level in the NFL. 

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Not saying he doesn’t do those things. More it would be a concern of the bend and leverage, and is he good enough to get away with high pad level in the NFL. 

Calais Campbell and other big men don't play small in the NFL. They play big. Davis has legs for arms and when he bench presses an OL, he sometimes twists them and makes their shoulders touch their *** lol. I just loaded 3 or 4 cutups. This guy makes plays that leaves your jaw dropped open. I'm talking Vita Vea like good.

2 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Calais Campbell and other big men don't play small in the NFL. They play big. Davis has legs for arms and when he bench presses an OL, he sometimes twists them and makes their shoulders touch their *** lol. I just loaded 3 or 4 cutups. This guy makes plays that leaves your jaw dropped open. I'm talking Vita Vea like good.

Right. Again it could work. More of a concern of could it happen. 

Just now, warfelg said:

Right. Again it could work. More of a concern of could it happen. 

Honestly, I don't Coach Tomlin would draft him BUT it would be an instant upgrade on the DL and to the defense. Also, pad level isn't that important when you're 2 gapping. Pad level is for penetrating type DL but most players lower their pads while in movement....it's overrated in a way.

Davis is a powerful man.  Offers very little in pass rush.  Has a bull rush and a swim/hump move.  Get stalled on his bull rush far too much for his size.  In watching the SEC title game( Davis' worst game), he stands up quite a bit but some of that is playing 2 gap.  He is not big Snack because he plays too high and is easily moved by 2 blockers.  Not in for much pf the game because he was gassed and Bama was passing.  Even in running play, he seems to just take on a single blocker.  No real help to the LBs behind him.

He can throw a blocker off of him when he gets motivated. 

I think he falls further than you might think.  He is a zero or 1 tech in the NFL  and might be a 2 down starter

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Davis is a powerful man.  Offers very little in pass rush.  Has a bull rush and a swim/hump move.  Get stalled on his bull rush far too much for his size.  In watching the SEC title game( Davis' worst game), he stands up quite a bit but some of that is playing 2 gap.  He is not big Snack because he plays too high and is easily moved by 2 blockers.  Not in for much pf the game because he was gassed and Bama was passing.  Even in running play, he seems to just take on a single blocker.  No real help to the LBs behind him.

He can throw a blocker off of him when he gets motivated. 

I think he falls further than you might think.  He is a zero or 1 tech in the NFL  and might be a 2 down starter

That's how I see Davis as well. His size is elite, but his game isn't. He's not Vita Vea. I kind of like that other DT from UGA a little more. 

• Like 2

I'll toss one out that people seem to like.  #65 is Tyler Linderbaum.  Tell me what you see.

I threw the Kentucky game in becasue he matches against 340lb 0 tech Marquan McCall, might get drafted in the 7th round.

Edited by jebrick

8 hours ago, armsteeld said:

I look forward to it. 

So with Willis I don't see a guy making a read on his drop.  I see a guy who's eyeing his primary read, hitching, then making a checkdown before moving.  Has a wide step when he does to throw.  Tends to shuffle his feet a lot in and around the pocket.

Whoever takes him will need to work hard to develop him.  Maybe not play year one.  Lots of RPO with designed roll outs and a levels read.  Then RPO with crossings reads.  Then integrate both together.  Then get levels concepts within the pocket, then get him scanning 2/3 the field, and finally to full field.  By the time you get him there it will be a 2nd contract and you will question how much it was him and how much it was the talent around him helping him.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, warfelg said:

So with Willis I don't see a guy making a read on his drop.  I see a guy who's eyeing his primary read, hitching, then making a checkdown before moving.  Has a wide step when he does to throw.  Tends to shuffle his feet a lot in and around the pocket.

Whoever takes him will need to work hard to develop him.  Maybe not play year one.  Lots of RPO with designed roll outs and a levels read.  Then RPO with crossings reads.  Then integrate both together.  Then get levels concepts within the pocket, then get him scanning 2/3 the field, and finally to full field.  By the time you get him there it will be a 2nd contract and you will question how much it was him and how much it was the talent around him helping him.  

Interesting. Seems like he is doing exactly as he's coached to do. This is what I like. Having multiple eyes on the prize to get a good feel for players. I'll provide you with a long article but it's very insightful into Hugh Freeze's system...

https://volswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/11/ryan-trevathan-inside-coaching-offense-hugh-freeze-tennessee/

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

I'll toss one out that people seem to like.  #65 is Tyler Linderbaum.  Tell me what you see.

I threw the Kentucky game in becasue he matches against 340lb 0 tech Marquan McCall, might get drafted in the 7th round.

Strength: Average. Gets handled easily when the Gs aren't helping him. Shows strength/leg drive on double team blocks. More than 10 times where he was jacked up and tossed aside by DL.

Pass Block: Looks for work. Good base. Gets bullied by bigger bodies. Unfortunately he reminds me of Kendrick Green at times. 

Run Block: Best when helping to double team block. Has good leg drive. If he squares you up, you're in trouble. Has issues getting to the 2nd level as he attacks and misses way too much. Is on the ground an awful lot for a highly touted OL. Is he staying on first level too long which allows the LBs to blow past him. A lot of whiffs. Is not as powerful as I thought he'd be.

NFL Comparison: Kendrick Green. 

Anyone else want to comment on Linderbaum? I'll give till 11:00 ET and then we'll move to a different player. I have a ILB prospect who is highly productive and a great athlete with great speed but he isn't physically imposing. He doesn't run around or from blocks like Bush but he doesn't jack up blockers good enough in my opinion.

Haven't watched those clips on linderbaum ... But I seen a bit of the bowl game, and the play that sticks in my mind, is him getting blown off the ball on a run play , tackle for loss and he got injured on that play 

Like I mean he got destroyed on that play , and I can't get that image out of my head ... I want no parts of him, no thanks

• Like 1