Do you see what I see?

armsteeld

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

@jebrick I'm not a fan of Asamoah. He's a bull in a china shop and just runs in and doesn't use his hands to get free. NFL OL will latch onto him and control him. Hand use and recognition are just as key for an ILB as getting downhill. He also looks unathletic and slow. Change his skin tone and he reminds me of a poor man's Robert Spillane.

If you think Asamosh is slow then Clark is a turtle.  Asamosh is one of the more athletic LB in this draft.  He and Q. Walker are very close in ability.  I do not think there is much difference( talentwise) between the LBs in the draft for the 1st 4 rounds ( about 10 LBs).  Find what you want and draft them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jebrick said:

If you think Asamosh is slow then Clark is a turtle.  Asamosh is one of the more athletic LB in this draft.  He and Q. Walker are very close in ability.  I do not think there is much difference( talentwise) between the LBs in the draft for the 1st 4 rounds ( about 10 LBs).  Find what you want and draft them.

Agreed with LB class being so close and none that jump out at you. Asamoah looks slow to me. He may run a 4.5 but he ran a 4.91 entering college. Yes players do get faster and the 40 is a technique that can be taught but his game film doesn't scream elite. 

26 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Agreed with LB class being so close and none that jump out at you. Asamoah looks slow to me. He may run a 4.5 but he ran a 4.91 entering college. Yes players do get faster and the 40 is a technique that can be taught but his game film doesn't scream elite. 

Random personal fun fact:

I was recruited to 2 D1 programs as a preferred walk on because I ran a 4.55 in HS without training. 

But yea playing speed and running speed are so different. The ability to have a COD and swift hips means so much. I tend to look at things this way:

QB/OL/DL I care about 10 yard splits. Can they elude and can they get off the line. 

TE/RB/LB/EDGE I care about 10 yard and 20 yard splits. Can the get burst and do they accelerate to the next level. 

WR/DB I care about 10 yard split and 40 time. Can they get off the line and do they have oh crap long speed. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Random personal fun fact:

I was recruited to 2 D1 programs as a preferred walk on because I ran a 4.55 in HS without training. 

But yea playing speed and running speed are so different. The ability to have a COD and swift hips means so much. I tend to look at things this way:

QB/OL/DL I care about 10 yard splits. Can they elude and can they get off the line. 

TE/RB/LB/EDGE I care about 10 yard and 20 yard splits. Can the get burst and do they accelerate to the next level. 

WR/DB I care about 10 yard split and 40 time. Can they get off the line and do they have oh crap long speed. 

Those are good guidelines to go by. Many coaches do similar. What I look for in a LB is violence. Devin Bush and Devin White are a perfect pair to look at when evaluating prospects. Bush looks small and plays small while White has those huge shoulders and is already a Top 10 ILB. Both were faster than most RBs but violence is what separated them then and even more so now.

18 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Those are good guidelines to go by. Many coaches do similar. What I look for in a LB is violence. Devin Bush and Devin White are a perfect pair to look at when evaluating prospects. Bush looks small and plays small while White has those huge shoulders and is already a Top 10 ILB. Both were faster than most RBs but violence is what separated them then and even more so now.

Violence is a good word for it. A guy I coached with would ask if they ran to the ball carrier or through the ball carrier. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Violence is a good word for it. A guy I coached with would ask if they ran to the ball carrier or through the ball carrier. 

Coach Tomlin loves the athletic type that needs coached up. I have a hard time on them passing on Penn St's Brandon Smith. Many guys here don't like his film but I see huge upside with him. He's violent, fast, uses his hands, and can play in space or in a phone booth. He's LB #12. Dude plays so physical to me but you tell me.

Edited by armsteeld
Ignore the 2nd cutups as I loaded the wrong one

16 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Coach Tomlin loves the athletic type that needs coached up. I have a hard time on them passing on Penn St's Brandon Smith. Many guys here don't like his film but I see huge upside with him. He's violent, fast, uses his hands, and can play in space or in a phone booth. He's LB #12. Dude plays so physical to me but you tell me.

He picks and chooses when to be physical.  Looks for the big play rather than the Watt/Fitzpatrick method of make the right play and big plays will happen.  Moves without reason at times.  Will sometimes take himself out of a play by being too impatient.  Needs to learn to be a touch flat footed at times.

Truth be told, 13 jumped out to me more than 12.

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

He picks and chooses when to be physical.  Looks for the big play rather than the Watt/Fitzpatrick method of make the right play and big plays will happen.  Moves without reason at times.  Will sometimes take himself out of a play by being too impatient.  Needs to learn to be a touch flat footed at times.

Truth be told, 13 jumped out to me more than 12.

Ellis Brooks is #13 and I like him also. Honestly I'm missing what you're seeing but that's why I wanted to do something like this. Maybe I'm just not good at evaluating ILBs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Ellis Brooks is #13 and I like him also. Honestly I'm missing what you're seeing but that's why I wanted to do something like this. Maybe I'm just not good at evaluating ILBs. 

I wouldn't say not good.  Just looking for different things.  I saw like 5 plays early in the Michigan game where he just hit the hole, it wasn't going into his hole, and he just stopped playing. Almost like "I was wrong, oh well".  Then in the OSU game he kept jumping routes in the pass game.  It didn't lead to anything big but it was happening.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I wouldn't say not good.  Just looking for different things.  I saw like 5 plays early in the Michigan game where he just hit the hole, it wasn't going into his hole, and he just stopped playing. Almost like "I was wrong, oh well".  Then in the OSU game he kept jumping routes in the pass game.  It didn't lead to anything big but it was happening.

Wow....yeah I missed all that lol. I watch for when the players engage, whose pads get jacked up. Who gives ground? Does he stop upon impact or does he use his hands to work free? Does he use the proper shoulder when containing the gap or does he turn and try to slip the block?  Does he work well in the trash or does he get stuck with the pile? I honestly liked what I saw but didn't notice the other things you mentioned. Appreciate it 👍

10 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Wow....yeah I missed all that lol. I watch for when the players engage, whose pads get jacked up. Who gives ground? Does he stop upon impact or does he use his hands to work free? Does he use the proper shoulder when containing the gap or does he turn and try to slip the block?  Does he work well in the trash or does he get stuck with the pile? I honestly liked what I saw but didn't notice the other things you mentioned. Appreciate it 👍

Hahaha so I watch completely different. I watch highlight cut ups to see the things that anyone can see in a sizzle reel. I watch the defensive cut ups for the plays that aren't highlights to see what happens when plays don't go their way.

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Hahaha so I watch completely different. I watch highlight cut ups to see the things that anyone can see in a sizzle reel. I watch the defensive cut ups for the plays that aren't highlights to see what happens when plays don't go their way.

True. I like watching opposing teams' going against the player I'm watching. That helps eliminate bias to me.