Who do we take at #1?

pwny

There really isn’t a set #1 option this year, with seemingly three players vying for that spot; Offensive Tackle Evan Neal and the pair of edge rushers in Aidan Hutchinson, and Kayvon Thibodeaux. Dark horse candidates for the best player in the draft also include dynamic Safety Davin Hamilton and OT Ikem Ekwonu who is getting some buzz as potentially better than Neal.

Who do we take? Who should we take? And why?

I'm gonna need more info before I can say 100%.

If we stay 3-4 I'm taking either thibs or Neal. 

If we go 4-3 I'm taking Hutchinson or Neal.  Hutchinson just seems like a better fit as a strong side defensive end. 

I'm currently leaning towards Neal so we can protect Trevor and upgrade our RT spot. 

If u want to throw a real dark horse how about ot cross. 

In the Week 18 game against the Colts, Trevor had a lot of time in the pocket to pass and he had a great game.  As tempting as it is to get a dynamic pass rusher for our defense, there aren't too many teams in the league who have a QB who can be as good as we think Trevor can be.  For that reason, I think the wise move for us is to bolster our offensive line.  We can always improve the defense later, but if we blow it with Trevor, it may be a very long time until we have this kind of opportunity again.

Neal is the smart pick for us right now, IMO.

I think Hutchinson is the best player in the draft…so I’m taking him. You have other options at OL. Franchise Cam Robinson and let him fight it out Little. See if the loser can play RT. Draft a RT, those guys don’t typically go #1 overall. They also usually have the flexibility to play guard. Draft a guard…those guys definitely don’t go in the first round…you can get them in the middle rounds. That doesn’t even include free agency, where we do have cap room for improvements. 

WR is a huge need. Even when Lawrence had times his WRs rarely created separation. A WR or two would make the current OL look much better…see the Bengals. The good thing is that…again…you can get WRs after the first round. This is a deep WR class. There are also solid FA options at WR this year. 

Bottom line is that you don’t have to reach for a RT or guard with the #1 overall pick. Especially when you have an ultra elite game changing player available to you. If you insist on getting an OL in the draft you trade down. 

Despite a highly touted QB, the Jaguars weren't able to finish with anything but the league's worst record in 2021.

But I think Lawrence will improve the team in the coming seasons. Of course the upcoming game at Tampa Bay in 2023 lost some of its luster because Tom Brady just retired today.

On 1/29/2022 at 8:22 AM, sammymvpknight said:

I think Hutchinson is the best player in the draft…so I’m taking him. You have other options at OL. Franchise Cam Robinson and let him fight it out Little. See if the loser can play RT. Draft a RT, those guys don’t typically go #1 overall. They also usually have the flexibility to play guard. Draft a guard…those guys definitely don’t go in the first round…you can get them in the middle rounds. That doesn’t even include free agency, where we do have cap room for improvements. 

WR is a huge need. Even when Lawrence had times his WRs rarely created separation. A WR or two would make the current OL look much better…see the Bengals. The good thing is that…again…you can get WRs after the first round. This is a deep WR class. There are also solid FA options at WR this year. 

Bottom line is that you don’t have to reach for a RT or guard with the #1 overall pick. Especially when you have an ultra elite game changing player available to you. If you insist on getting an OL in the draft you trade down. 

The correct answer is take thibs, Neal, or trade down. 

Thibs is a better athlete then hutch and has better production 

3 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I think that Hutchinson is an elite athlete and that’ll come out in the combine. 

No worry about his lack of bend on tape?

I like Hutch but I don’t know that I get elite level pass rusher vibes from him. Thibs I could see growing into that.

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

I think that Hutchinson is an elite athlete and that’ll come out in the combine. 

I agree that Hutchinson's combine numbers will probably be elite, but from film alone (even the Georgia game) Hutch already looks like the real deal.

I do not always agree with the guy breaking this down, but he does a good job on this one with recognizing the double standard  while  also showing the good reps that Hutch got against Georgia. Check it out.

9 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Yes but he doesn't bend well on tape and seems more to me like an 8-10 sacks at best guy while thibs gives me a bendy athletic guy who's pretty much been considered edge 1 in his class his entire career and he has good production but he's still got alot of untapped potential. 

I also see us keeping more of a 3-4 base d and I like thibs alot more in that. 

Hutchinson would be fine if we were moving back to a 4-3 and wanted a strong side end. 

10 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Yes but he doesn't bend well on tape and seems more to me like an 8-10 sacks at best guy while thibs gives me a bendy athletic guy who's pretty much been considered edge 1 in his class his entire career and he has good production but he's still got alot of untapped potential. 

I also see us keeping more of a 3-4 base d and I like thibs alot more in that. 

Hutchinson would be fine if we were moving back to a 4-3 and wanted a strong side end. 

He’s more of a power-to-speed rusher. Like the Bosa brothers.