Should I Stay Or Should I Go Now? Part 1 (Tank Lawrence)

The_Slamman

Should Demarcus Lawrence be cut?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should Demarcus Lawrence be cut?

• Yes. His production does not his price tag.
    • No. Cutting Tank would create too big of hole at DE despite price tag.
    • Wait until after the draft to decide.

As must of you know, the cowboys are already projected to be $14M over next year’s cap.  Of course, the cowboys could get under the cap by restructuring high contracts and extending cap hits against future caps.  For example, we’d save about $14M against the cap by converting Dak’s base salary into signing bonus next year.  The downside is Dak would account for $50M against the cap in 2023 and increase dead money on Dak’s void years of contract.  Same could be done with Lawrence, Martin, Smith etc.  But as we know, all that restructuring comes at a cost and it rarely works to our benefit.

Additionally, the Cowboys have numerous FAs that had significant playing time this year including Gregory, Schultz (seemingly the only offensive weapon who is truly in sync with Dak), LVE, Kearney, Neal, Kazee, williams, Gallup, Cedrick Wilson, Armstrong, Hooker and Urban.  

This will be a 2 part series… first, let’s focus on players who are or should be on the chopping block.  Next, let’s look at players who should be brought back and for what price.

So far, if this forum was the GM of cowboys, we would be KEEPING both Zeke and Coop and we have saved nothing on the 2022 cap.

Next up, Tank Lawrence 

Lawrence will count $27M on the 2022 cap.  The good news is $19M is base salary.  If we were to cut Lawrence before June 1, we would save $8M on the cap will incurring $19M in dead money.  If cut after June 1, we would save $19M on the cap while having $8M in dead money in 2022, $8m in dead money in 2023 and $3M in 2024.

The argument for letting Lawrence go is primarily based on his production not meeting the expectations of his $27M contract.  He seems to have nagging injuries.

The argument for keeping him is that we would be creating a new roster hole at DE with Gregory and Armstrong being UFAs.  Gregory will likely demand a fairly substantial contract.

so, should Tank stay or go?

Cut! I classify him as Almost Anthony 2.0. Generates a ton of pressure, just not getting home. Dlaw is paid to make sacks and change games. He is not a game changer like Donald, Garrett, TJ Watt but yet is paid like it.  

Anthony Spencer 104 games with 67 starts/ 33 sacks, 53 TFL, 79 QB hits

D Law 103 games With 85 starts/ 48.5 sacks, 74 TFL, 100 QB Hits, 

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

He is absolutely not worth $27m, and calling him our second best defensive player also seems like a reach. 

Contracts inflated to be sure. Still not willing to lose him for the savings. 

Don’t think it’s close to being a stretch.  Hope some other guys keep developing and push him down the list. 

4 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Contracts inflated to be sure. Still not willing to lose him for the savings. 

Don’t think it’s close to being a stretch.  Hope some other guys keep developing and push him down the list. 

If he is our second best player, than our defense way over produced. He has been ranked consistently in the ~50 range of DEs the last 3 years depending which metric you look at. Some stats he gets a little higher, up in the 25 range. Some of them he was down in the 125 range. But no matter how you look at it, his production is closer to a back up than a starter. Obviously injuries play a lot into that, but just like Sean Lee, its not wise to count on injury prone players. 

14 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

He’s second. And it isn’t particularly close either. 

I don't know Tex. I don't see it that way. He just seems to be way to in consistent. Diggs certainly has his ups and downs being aggressive and taking chances. But I just haven't seen enough of him over the years to consider him the 2nd best on D. His value could be argued his value is no worse or better than Diggs. If RG didn't have so many brain farts this year, he could clearly be the 2nd best. But our main issues are for the most on O anyway.

44 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

I don't know Tex. I don't see it that way. He just seems to be way to in consistent. Diggs certainly has his ups and downs being aggressive and taking chances. But I just haven't seen enough of him over the years to consider him the 2nd best on D. His value could be argued his value is no worse or better than Diggs. If RG didn't have so many brain farts this year, he could clearly be the 2nd best. But our main issues are for the most on O anyway.

RG is like the present day version of Leon Lett. He's got mad potential and makes plays. However, his lack of focus, awareness or just plain brain fart always diminishes his status as a top tier player.

1 hour ago, HDsportsfan said:

I tend to agree that RG is coming for that title. Hope we can resign him.