Ravens fire DC Wink Martindale

RaidersAreOne

Everyone is going to be shocked by this, but Ravens fans certainly aren't. Wink was very aggressive in his style (lots of blitzing), but that style was HEAVILY masked with the quality of CB's we had on the field (Marlon and Marcus Peters). Once we lost any bit of that depth, things fell apart quickly.

Furthermore, he was unable to develop or scheme any sort of edge pressure. We watched Yannick Ngakoue come to this team and be put into a role that didn't fit his play style and his production completely fell off. Then, miraculously, he goes to OAK and goes right back to what he was doing previously in JAX and MIN and even mentioned publicly that Wink's scheme didn't fit him and they didn't use him properly.

We also watched Matt Judon go from "meh" to a really productive pass rusher this year, same thing with Za'Darius Smith when he left. Wink's inability to play a scheme to maximize quality edge rush talent AND the fact that our defense allowed I think the most big plays (40+) this year are what did him in ultimately.

So I am happy they mutually parted ways and we're going in a new direction there. Change was definitely needed.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Everyone is going to be shocked by this, but Ravens fans certainly aren't. Wink was very aggressive in his style (lots of blitzing), but that style was HEAVILY masked with the quality of CB's we had on the field (Marlon and Marcus Peters). Once we lost any bit of that depth, things fell apart quickly.

Furthermore, he was unable to develop or scheme any sort of edge pressure. We watched Yannick Ngakoue come to this team and be put into a role that didn't fit his play style and his production completely fell off. Then, miraculously, he goes to OAK and goes right back to what he was doing previously in JAX and MIN and even mentioned publicly that Wink's scheme didn't fit him and they didn't use him properly.

We also watched Matt Judon go from "meh" to a really productive pass rusher this year, same thing with Za'Darius Smith when he left. Wink's inability to play a scheme to maximize quality edge rush talent AND the fact that our defense allowed I think the most big plays (40+) this year are what did him in ultimately.

So I am happy they mutually parted ways and we're going in a new direction there. Change was definitely needed.

Don’t forget the seemingly uncanny ability for our defense to give up late game scores with very little time left on the clock in “stop & win” scenarios the past ~2ish years

• Like 1

If the Saints lose Dennis Allen I would love to give him a look. We have the DB talent (talent across the board really) to help mask some of the flaws he’s previously been able to mask with DB talent.

Edited by Dome

3 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Wink has his flaws as @AFlaccoSeagullspointed out. Without good to elite CBs, the flaws with his defense get enhanced as seen this year.

He’d still be a nice addition for the right team. Like depending on what Miami does at HC, I think he’d be a nice DC for them.

I mean if Brian Flores goes to a team as a HC, I feel like it was his idea to run that heavy Cover-0 type of defense, and Wink would be a great fit for that type of defense and scheme.

36 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Everyone is going to be shocked by this, but Ravens fans certainly aren't.

I'm not stunned, but I'm mildly surprised they are making this move. 

You laid out the criticisms well. But on balance, the output of his defenses overall was top notch, prior to this debacle of year. One very bad (19Tenn) playoff outing, but also 3 very good showings (18 Chargers, 20 Titans, 20 Bills). 

Edited by wackywabbit

Not shocked by this at all and it's likely the better decision for Baltimore. All the Ravens fans that have commented have already boiled it down for you. He is an excellent "front 7" DC that relies on an excellent back end. Without that, the holes in his system are polarizing and it crippled Bmore in the end.

Gotta be honest, I felt like he ran a system that was pretty predictable, overly simplistic, and gimmicky in a way. I agree that he could pull it off when the Ravens had the CBs to execute it, but without them, he had no counter. Felt like he was a one-trick pony.

• Like 1