Ravens fire DC Wink Martindale

RaidersAreOne

20 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

I’d have Vic Fangio on speed dial if o were you guys. He was clearly in over his head as a HC here in Denver. But man can that guy coach a defense. 

Maybe Fangio wouldn't take the call after their dustup over the 100-yard rushing streak this season. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Can't argue with this.  It'll be interesting to see who gets the job next and what sort of D they will bring

This is where I'm at. I didn't think we needed to hang Wink this offseason, but I also have no grand argument for keeping him. There needs to be accountability for the lapses we saw this year on defense, and Wink had top billing. Thought all the injuries would get him and Roman a mulligan though, guess not.

Had some really fun performances and good defensive stretches under Wink, so best wishes to him going forward(Unless something crazy comes out about him of course- you never know with the NFL anymore).

I know we’ve had injuries on defense and I know the secondary could’ve used some juice.

But Humphrey regressed this year, the tackling on defense has been terrible throughout Wink’s tenure.

We don’t seem to be getting the best out of our defensive talent within the front 7 with guys numbers dipping on arrival.

Wink’s system was getting tired and he wasn’t able to adapt his playcalling/system to his defensive talent. We’ve consistently seen that when Brandon Williams or Calais Campbell and now Marcus Peters, where one guy goes down and suddenly the flood gates open and we can’t stop the run and/or the pass. This is a pattern of one guy going down and it being the end all of the be all.

Ive got nothing against Wink, I felt overall he did a solid enough job. He’s not bad, he’s probably above average. So this move could cause a regression. However with the number of young talent on the defense, this also gives the Ravens an opportunity to rebrand the defense with a new face- which might help us to ultimately retain veterans like Campbell and Houston.

• Like 1

This is fine. I feel like the defense needed more schematic change than the offense. I know most of us have an axe to grind with Roman, but fixing the offensive line should turn things back around. It seems too simple, but I think that's all there is to it. Get Lamar feeling comfortable again and we're good. Also having Dobbins and Edwards back is huge. 

But defensively... bleh. Injuries were hitting that side of the ball too but you can tell it's just not a system to build around. Everything schemed up front was too slow developing to really catch up to the quick-hitting offenses. Which is a lot of them these days. 

Hopefully the next guy in has enough juice to change some things around. The team has been tinkering with the same thing for too long. It would be nice to see an emphasis on 4-man fronts to generate pressure. There's already a tremendous foundation to start there with Oweh and Madubuike. Wolfe can slid inside and out with Washington and Mack as depth/situational guys. Still need another edge... but that's true regardless. Especially with Bowser probably out of the year. 

At linebacker you've got Queen and ? to work around. Seems like the team soured on Harrison towards the end. Or maybe Martindale did. Either way that's a big question mark, but again it is regardless of what front is focused on. 

The secondary is an interesting case. Elliot is probably gone but that's not big loss with his durability issues and the team may be happy with Clark and Stephens with Stone and maybe Washington thrown in. But this could be something that changes with the next defensive coordinator. Scheme decides a lot with the composition on the back end. At corner they need health. Lots of health. Maybe a high pick, maybe not. Again depending on the next scheme it could be that investing that heavily into cornerback isn't in the cards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Maybe Fangio wouldn't take the call after their dustup over the 100-yard rushing streak this season. 

Yeah no chance.

Now, Mike Zimmer on the other hand? Yeah I think he'd be a great fit and after how hard he flamed out in Minnesota maybe going back to a DC on a defensive-minded team would be a great fit

Ranked 32nd against the pass and fielding a defense that at times were completely incapable of stopping anyone, this makes sense. Wink seemed like a players coach that the team enjoyed playing for, so the internal reaction is potentially something to monitor (good or bad).

I assume the “leadership Council” has been part of the proces, whoever that is now a days?

Somewhat worried about the barstools report. I do feel that this team needs a stronger no nonsense culture. Lamar’s biggest worry should be how to reach and win multiple Super Bowls, not his contract, relationship with Hollywood, NFT’s etc.

Would Ray have tolerated this much (unnecessary) ‘noise’ when he was the leader of this team? 

Edited by Rein
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rein said:

Ranked 32nd against the pass and fielding a defense that at times were completely incapable of stopping anyone, this makes sense. Wink seemed like a players coach that the team enjoyed playing for, so the internal reaction is potentially something to monitor (good or bad).

I assume the “leadership Council” has been part of the proces, whoever that is now a days?

Somewhat worried about the barstools report. I do feel that this team needs a stronger no nonsense culture. Lamar’s biggest worry should be how to reach and win multiple Super Bowls, not his contract, relationship with Hollywood, NFT’s etc.

Would Ray have tolerated this much (unnecessary) ‘noise’ when he was the leader of this team? 

I missed this, what was that about?

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

See previous page on this topic. 
They just mentioned that there might be more going on behind the scenes and something is brewing. 

Hopefully the thing brewing was unhappiness with Wink, which Harbaugh reacted on.

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It’s noise about this being potentially just the tip of the iceberg with regard to internal unease within the franchise.

Down in the comments it was mentioned/rumored that one person heard Lamar would be unwilling to sign his contract if Roman was still the OC of the Ravens moving forward.

— I can only speculate myself however I also wonder if, assuming their truly is internal conflict, if perhaps the new coaches we brought in led to some sort of battle lines being drawn within the building. Obviously we added on defense Rob Ryan, Anthony Weaver (run game coordinator), and D'Anton Lynn; and on offense added Tee Martin and Keith Williams.

You have to wonder if all that new coaching juice had some conflicts with the old guard with regard to scheme and/or culture differences? Granted Ryan and Wink go way back and Ryan and Weaver likely have a history together, perhaps Wink felt his replacements were on the coaching staff and that created an uncomfortable/hostile situation? Unsure what the offense noise would be on? From what I’ve seen on the sidelines it didn’t look like Lamar and James Urban had a particularly bubbly relationship. Could be that? Lamar used to compliment Roman as a new player, yet hasn’t done so as of late, Lamar seems like the loyal type, perhaps Roman blamed Lamar for his offense not working and Lamar caught wind of it and has been out on Roman since?—

Anyways enough of my own speculation. I’m sure we’ll get more news on this situation once the playoffs end, I’m sure the media is just waiting to pounce on this once the playoffs end and they’ve got a lull between that and the NFL combine.

5 hours ago, Rein said:

I like your post however you’re forgetting that the leadership council incident that happened prior to the 2012/13 SB happened under Ray and Ed’s watch. Now it could be argued that technically Ray was kind of checked out as he was rehabilitating in Miami IIRC, but it was on his watch nonetheless and you’d have to think as the leader of the franchise he would’ve gotten that situation resolved before it got to that point.

Also the final Brian Billick year guys were tossing flags into the stands and the defense had serious frustration with the offensive side of the ball.

So while I mostly agree with you, there were/are times where great leadership falters. Ray also had Ozzie an all time leader running things and EDC leadership abilities still remain to be seen. The difference between leaders and underlings are how they react when crap hits the fan… if the internal struggles within the franchise are true, we’ll I’m sure get a taste as to what EDC is made out of quite soon. Same with Lamar. These could be legitimate gripes that Lamar has that would evolve the offense (if the speculation is true) or he could prove to simply not be the level of leader we hope. Lastly, what will Harbaugh do to right this ship as well.

Edited by diamondbull424

14 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

FWIW this guy is very tuned in - despite what you think about Barstool.

He was first on the Peters/Campbell trades and a lot of injury news. Absolutely has sources inside the building.

Whether or not there is anything behind it that statement reads like trash journalism. Literally anything or nothing could happen and it's not technically disputed by that statement.

"There is a lot of stuff that may or may not happen. I'm hoping it's nothing, but it could be something"

5 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Down in the comments it was mentioned/rumored that one person heard Lamar would be unwilling to sign his contract if Roman was still the OC of the Ravens moving forward.

Doesn't seem like a take he would have based on his public comments.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Whether or not there is anything behind it that statement reads like trash journalism. Literally anything or nothing could happen and it's not technically disputed by that statement.

"There is a lot of stuff that may or may not happen. I'm hoping it's nothing, but it could be something"

Doesn't seem like a take he would have based on his public comments.

I mean it’s a Barstool blog dude, don’t really think you need to get too in the weeds about the journalistic integrity of it all lol don’t really care how he phrased it tbh...I don’t think he cares that he “can’t be disputed” he’s just writing about things he’s been hearing from in the building

Think of it what you want, but Banks is tied into the team. He’s proven that many times on his exit52 podcast and the news he breaks before actual “NFL Insiders”.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Think of it what you want, but Banks is tied into the team. He’s proven that many times on his exit52 podcast and the news he breaks before actual “NFL Insiders”.

Definitely more plugged in than Zrebiec, despite the prestige Jeff seems to carry with the fanbase. Banks has had legit scoops no one else had. 

• Like 1