Ravens fire DC Wink Martindale

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

I mean it’s a Barstool blog dude, don’t really think you need to get too in the weeds about the journalistic integrity of it all lol don’t really care how he phrased it tbh...I don’t think he cares that he “can’t be disputed” he’s just writing about things he’s been hearing from in the building

It's not about integrity or phrasing. There's just nothing there in that statement no matter how you phrase it.

After thinking on this situation more, from an organizational standpoint. It makes sense that Wink had to go.

I had really only considered his coaching acumen before where he had shown flaws. He was also quite clearly figured out by the Bengals top to bottom- like that wasn’t just a talent thing, but they clearly had his number.

However far more troubling would’ve been that by keeping Wink it would’ve stalled the organizational progress/pipeline. Whether we bring in Joe Whitt or not, the Ravens have historically been a place known for bringing in the best defensive minds and turning them into HCs.

Wink came in, got his time, got his shine, and then lost out to Joe Judge. Clearly the NFL made up its mind that Wink wasn’t HC material. Yet as long as Wink remained the DC of the Ravens, we would’ve had other teams putting in interview requests for our positional coaches to be their DCs instead of having them move into our vacated DC role and move into a HC spot.

Moving on from Wink means the opportunity for a pipeline of double 3rd round comp picks, a pipeline where top defensive minds can get their time to shine and become HCs, and top young defensive minds can move up with the Ravens vs having to wait for another team/opportunity to arise.

13 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Yeah, I like this. 

It's not a driving factor but it has to be mentioned that if he does well and eventually gets hired as a HC. 2 3rd round comps is a plus. 

Same goes for Anthony Weaver, who I personally believe is the right choice.