2022 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

10 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

I’m with you. We are more than one player away and need to focus on building a strong, youthful foundation for sustainable growth. We’ve failed at this in the past but a GM like Ed Dodds with proven chops should come in and get better draft day results for us.

Granted, we may not get Dodds but we have to give our new front office a chance to change our draft day misfortunes and build the franchise up with strong draft day showings. 

In an ideal world, if you're telling me we'll hit on the pick and get a big upgrade at WR, then sure. I'll believe it when I see it.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 7:52 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think you’re in the minority. Especially looking at our recent 1st round picks.

He might be in the minority but it’d cost us “a lot” to get Adams.   It’d cost probably a 1st plus 25m/yr.  even if we backload it a bit with a 4yr deal it’d likely cost 17M give or take next year.   

I see us having to make 6 major upgrades over the end of yeah roster: WR, RG/RT, LG, CB, defensive playmaker

We’ll need to extend Crosby and give Waller an extension/restructure.  Everyone says “oh after cutting XXX and XXX we’ll have 50M”.  Well…. 50M goes very fast.

I hate to say it… I’d love to get Adams but it’d be very hard to trade a 1st for him and still adequately improve the rest of the team.

i love Adams as well but unfortunately we’re not only 1-2 pieces away. However it seems to be determined he’ll be traded for a first as he should but Greenbay’s hand is kind of forced here everybody knows their cap situation. Maybe Adams is looking for the last payday and doesn’t care where he goes, ok cool but.. what if he does care where he goes? It wouldn’t suprise me if they’re forced to settle for something less than a first because of their cap and the fact that he can threaten to sit out if he’s not being traded to a team he wants. Not saying he only wants to play with Carr but i can see him narrowing it down to 2-3 teams. Greenbay can’t afford to have Adams sit out a year because they weren’t able to fetch a first from one of his narrowed teams. Add on to the fact that if rodgers is traded he probably nets them 2 firsts possibly more. they take what they were able to get from them 2 and look forward to 2023 with great draft capital and good cap it gets very interesting. 

6 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

He might be in the minority but it’d cost us “a lot” to get Adams.   It’d cost probably a 1st plus 25m/yr.  even if we backload it a bit with a 4yr deal it’d likely cost 17M give or take next year.   

I see us having to make 6 major upgrades over the end of yeah roster: WR, RG/RT, LG, CB, defensive playmaker

We’ll need to extend Crosby and give Waller an extension/restructure.  Everyone says “oh after cutting XXX and XXX we’ll have 50M”.  Well…. 50M goes very fast.

I hate to say it… I’d love to get Adams but it’d be very hard to trade a 1st for him and still adequately improve the rest of the team.

Also fair, I understand what people are saying about the pick/cash. Technically I do think it's not the smartest move long term. But I also want to see good management first. The cap is going to be interesting. I have a feeling it's really going to shoot up in the next year or so, but maybe that's just me.

7 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Also fair, I understand what people are saying about the pick/cash. Technically I do think it's not the smartest move long term. But I also want to see good management first. The cap is going to be interesting. I have a feeling it's really going to shoot up in the next year or so, but maybe that's just me.

I think it definitely shoots up a lot next year… that said let’s get out core players extended now to save money.  That reduces the money to Bring in outside FAs.

Either way at the end of the day we gotta clean up our cap situation and bring it back to the way McKenzie did it for the most part.  It doesn’t have to always be the Roster Bonuses and 2 years guaranteed but nothing past that.  For cornerstone players, it’s okay to stretch it out a bit, especially if you extend early and use the last year of the rookie/current deal with the lower cap to absorb some cap hit on the new deal.  But for depth pieces like Nassib we shouldn’t be taking big cap hits to cut on year 3+.

Let’s face it we’re not 1 player away.  We’re in a good spot with a nice core.  We want to bring in a new GM and HC and set up a 3-5 year run.  Given the cap situation Mayock created we can’t go wild and borrow against future salary caps WHILE creating a window of several Years of playoff teams.

To me Adams feels like we’re buying him on the credit card versus Saving up to pay for it with cash.  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I think it definitely shoots up a lot next year… that said let’s get out core players extended now to save money.  That reduces the money to Bring in outside FAs.

Either way at the end of the day we gotta clean up our cap situation and bring it back to the way McKenzie did it for the most part.  It doesn’t have to always be the Roster Bonuses and 2 years guaranteed but nothing past that.  For cornerstone players, it’s okay to stretch it out a bit, especially if you extend early and use the last year of the rookie/current deal with the lower cap to absorb some cap hit on the new deal.  But for depth pieces like Nassib we shouldn’t be taking big cap hits to cut on year 3+.

Let’s face it we’re not 1 player away.  We’re in a good spot with a nice core.  We want to bring in a new GM and HC and set up a 3-5 year run.  Given the cap situation Mayock created we can’t go wild and borrow against future salary caps WHILE creating a window of several Years of playoff teams.

To me Adams feels like we’re buying him on the credit card versus Saving up to pay for it with cash.  

I like Adam's (of course) but the only way I see us getting him people will not like. Because it will come at the cost of most likely Waller and someone else at the minimum. Crosby or Frow or Yannick. But in order to get him after trade or however then he will want to be the highest paid wr and for good reason. But then IF he wants to come to play with Carr he may also want assurances Carr will be here i.e. extending Carr. So 50ish mil per for 2 players on one side of the ball. With only 35 guys under contract next season. Again I love Adams. I just don't think we are in the situation yet to make that happen. That being said. Those of us wanting him maybe should hope he is franchised. Giving us a year to get the cap straight. Hopefully have a higher (much?) Cap space and a more win now situation in place. 

Ideally Good is healthy and Leatherwood can live up to his draft status and be at least an average level starting guard. Sign a proven veteran at RT like Morgan Moses to a 2 year deal and then draft a versatile OL that can play across the line like Tyler Smith, bring back Parker as a backup swing OT. 

Miller - Leatherwood - James - Good - Moses

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 12:31 PM, BigD1123 said:

Seeing DK may be traded this off-season. And I'm like yes please. Add to cart. Continue shopping.

Minnesota traded Stefon Diggs for a 1st, 5th, and 6th in 2020 and a 4th in 2021. I'm assuming that Seattle will be seeking a similar package for DK Metcalf. Metcalf is on the last year of his rookie deal so he only has a $1.2m next season although I'm assuming you'd have to immediately extend him. But at 24 he's only scratching the surface of what he could become.

• Like 1