2022 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

27 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Plus, a deal the magnitude of Carr’s extension can be done quickly, but shouldn’t be rushed if it can wait.  Plus, I don’t see how Carr signing an extension reduces his ‘22 cap hit.  If anything it goes up substantially.

Can convert his salary this year into a signing bonus

40 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We desperately need DT

Luckily there are a handful of good ones still left.  I think we gotta wait for the asking prices to drop though.  Unfortunately I don’t see many good DTs in the draft by the time we pick in round 3.

Larry Ogunjobi‘s big deal with Chicago was stopped due to a failed physical.  He’s be a very nice option is he’s healthy enough to sign.  He had foot surgery earlier this off-season and the Bears might have seen something that scared them given the magnitude of the deal.   Maybe we’re able to take a calculated risk with a smaller, shorter contract.  He had agreed to a 3yr, 40.5m with 26m guaranteed.  If we could get him for 1yr, 7-8m that’d be amazing.

Aside from LO there still are some solid DTs out there: Hicks, Goldman, Calais Campbell, Jarran Reed, Sheldon Richardson, Malik Jackson, NT Danny Shelton plus our own FAs Jonathan Hankins, Solomon Thomas, and Darius Philon are still out there.  I suspect Philon remains unsigned until right before TC in a best case scenario for him, but in the most likely scenario he signs somewhere during the season when he’s healthy.

If we’re going to play some or mostly 3-4 we need a NT.  Aside from that we still need another iDL starter, IMO.

Ideally, I wish we’d re-sign Hankins or sign Goldman for NT and add Campbell (I think that’s unlikely) then Sheldon Richardson.  I liked Solomon Thomas’ play last year but if we’re going to play 3-4 I question if he’ll regress to his form in SF.  At very least Richardson is a solid run defender for a 3T.

15 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Luckily there are a handful of good ones still left.  I think we gotta wait for the asking prices to drop though.  Unfortunately I don’t see many good DTs in the draft by the time we pick in round 3.

Larry Ogunjobi‘s big deal with Chicago was stopped due to a failed physical.  He’s be a very nice option is he’s healthy enough to sign.  He had foot surgery earlier this off-season and the Bears might have seen something that scared them given the magnitude of the deal.   Maybe we’re able to take a calculated risk with a smaller, shorter contract.  He had agreed to a 3yr, 40.5m with 26m guaranteed.  If we could get him for 1yr, 7-8m that’d be amazing.

Aside from LO there still are some solid DTs out there: Hicks, Goldman, Calais Campbell, Jarran Reed, Sheldon Richardson, Malik Jackson, NT Danny Shelton plus our own FAs Jonathan Hankins, Solomon Thomas, and Darius Philon are still out there.  I suspect Philon remains unsigned until right before TC in a best case scenario for him, but in the most likely scenario he signs somewhere during the season when he’s healthy.

If we’re going to play some or mostly 3-4 we need a NT.  Aside from that we still need another iDL starter, IMO.

Ideally, I wish we’d re-sign Hankins or sign Goldman for NT and add Campbell (I think that’s unlikely) then Sheldon Richardson.  I liked Solomon Thomas’ play last year but if we’re going to play 3-4 I question if he’ll regress to his form in SF.  At very least Richardson is a solid run defender for a 3T.

I'm just getting a little worried about our total lack of interest in RT or DT.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Can convert his salary this year into a signing bonus

I understand that but if you do that your going to have the remaining years have very large cap hits.  Even with the cap going up we’re still going to have cap issues going forward and several players due sizeable raises.  

I think you have to take that 6/1 money from Littleton and Nassib and take advantage of the very low ‘22 cap figure and sign an extension with both signing bonus but also a significant roster bonus in ‘22.  By 6/1 when that money becomes useable there won’t be a ton of FAs still available that we need/want.  

Also it’s important to note when Carr signed his extension in ‘17 we upped his cap hit on the last year of his rookie deal by giving that year a Roster Bonus that kicked in immediately so it acted like a SB but wasn’t prorated throughout the length of the contract.  He received A 12.5m SB and then 7.5M RB, plus guaranteed salaries and RBs in the first 2 years.  

Say Carr gets 4y, 144 m (36m APY) he’ll likely get 75% guaranteed (108m) and just over 40% guaranteed at signing in the form of a SB or 1st year roster bonus (58m).  we take 13M in the form of a ‘22 RB and 45m SB.  We still have left from the 6/1 money to sign a FA that we need.  But by having the RB in ‘22 it means we reduce his cap hits by 3.25M each year of his 4 year extension.

The option you describe means making his average cap hit more then the 36m apy.  It’d likely raise his cap hit into the 40m apy range.  

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'm just getting a little worried about our total lack of interest in RT or DT.

It’s definitely concerning.  But Ziegler has shown he works quietly.  He very well could have things lined up to announce in the morning.  I jumped down his throat already and was proven wrong so for the short term I’ll sit back and patiently wait. Lol

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

I understand that but if you do that your going to have the remaining years have very large cap hits.  Even with the cap going up we’re still going to have cap issues going forward and several players due sizeable raises. 

The only players who are going to get big extensions are Carr, Renfrow, and possibly Waller. 

Just now, jimkelly02 said:

It’s definitely concerning.  But Ziegler has shown he works quietly.  He very well could have things lined up to announce in the morning.  I jumped down his throat already and was proven wrong so for the short term I’ll sit back and patiently wait. Lol

I'm sure that they will address both spots, I think that our splash signings are done though. 

Some interesting names still on the market.

OT: Daryl Williams, Billy Turner, Eric Fisher, Marcus Cannon, Brandon Shell

OG: Trai Turner, Quinton Spain, Ereck Flowers

DL: Trey Flowers, Calais Campbell, Sheldon Richardson, Akiem Hicks, Larry Ogunjobi, Star Lotulelei 

LB: Don't Hightower, Kyle Van Not, Jamie Collins, Anthony Barr, Kyzir White

DB: Tyrann Mathieu, Stephon Gilmore

Wouldn’t be surprised to see that post June 1st money get used to sign those older vets who don’t mind to sit out all of mini camp and OTAs. Like Campbell, Suh and Hicks to name a few. Think that’s when we will see them tie up some lose ends 

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

• Daryl Williams - 1 yr/$4M

• Ndamukong Suh - 1 yr/$5M

• Calais Campbell - 1 yr/$6M

• Zach Kerr - 1 yr/$1M

• John Ross - 1 yr/$1.5M 

Lol the team can go 0-4 on trying to get Ndamukong Suh. Maybe this time is different. Gimmie Calais Campbell I still think he can be a problem maybe squeeze 1 more 7-10 sack season out of him