Keith Butler retiring

armsteeld

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I've heard good things about him. 

Yea. Not sure how I feel. Heard good things and the G-men D was ok. Low blitz rate. Wonder if this would signal an investment on DBs. LBs are forgettable but productive. 

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

FWIW this is why I’m fine with another year of Canada. What’s the worst case? Suck out way to a good QB?

This team isn't going anywhere in 2022, so it doesnt matter....but Canada never shouldve been promoted to begin with.   Retaining guys like him and Danny Smith and promoting a guy like Austin is indicative of the REAL issues with how this team is run.

Butler revealed today that Tomlin was calling the defensive plays for the last few years of Lebeau's time here, too. 

Kind of explains a lot. And Tomlin apparently has a far more massive ego than I realized if he felt the need to take away play calling responsibilities from one of the greatest coordinators in NFL history.

1 hour ago, 43M said:

This team isn't going anywhere in 2022, so it doesnt matter....but Canada never shouldve been promoted to begin with.   Retaining guys like him and Danny Smith and promoting a guy like Austin is indicative of the REAL issues with how this team is run.

Don't disagree.  I think the issue shows how much at odds parts of the offense were.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blitzburgh said:

So two external interviews.  Is there real interest or are these Rooney Rule interviews?  

• Patrick Graham, Giants defensive coordinator
  • Kris Richard, Saints defensive backs coach

1)  Are these interviews for our new DB coach or DC?

2) If promoting interally, does the Rooney Rule apply?

3)  If these are for DC, Im pretty sure Teryl Austin alone satisfies the Rooney Rule.

Edited by 43M

6 hours ago, 43M said:

3)  If these are for DC, Im pretty sure Teryl Austin alone satisfies the Rooney Rule.

My understanding are that these are for DC at least that is what is reported on NFL.com. I also understand that Austin alone does not satisfy the new Rooney rule changes.  Every team must interview two external minority candidates.

I guess my hope is that they are doing there due diligence with options other than Austin and not just checking the box.  Although I’m not over thrilled with these candidates résumés.

7 hours ago, 43M said:

The rule does not apply internally from what I understand.  Must be external hire.  Patrick Graham wouldn't do it either because he's not promoted.  The rule is really interesting.  Like the person hired must be employed at the time with not break, has to be a promotion being the big one.  Kahn is our best bet on this I think.

11 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Kind of explains a lot. And Tomlin apparently has a far more massive ego than I realized if he felt the need to take away play calling responsibilities from one of the greatest coordinators in NFL history.

Our defense has been one of the best in the business for about 20 years now. Also the NFL had passed Lebeau by a long time ago. Look at his defense when he went to Tennessee. Those fire blitzes with soft zone coverages were getting picked apart more and more. If this reveals anything to me, its that Tomlin is pretty smart when it comes to modern defenses. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

The rule does not apply internally from what I understand.  Must be external hire.  Patrick Graham wouldn't do it either because he's not promoted.  The rule is really interesting.  Like the person hired must be employed at the time with not break, has to be a promotion being the big one.  Kahn is our best bet on this I think.

So ******* stupid.   If you know who you want internally, you shouldn't have to interview any external candidates, ESPECIALLY when the coach youre promoting is a minority candidate.

14 minutes ago, 43M said:

So ******* stupid.   If you know who you want internally, you shouldn't have to interview any external candidates, ESPECIALLY when the coach youre promoting is a minority candidate.

Agreed. And I think there should be more compensation in promoting from within than getting hired away. That shows a dedication to development. Especially if the replacement is hiring. 

Someone brought up a good point of what if a team decides to be petty: lets say that Sean Peyton leaves the Saints, and the Saints decide to hire Byron Leftwich, who for all reasons was a level coin flip candidate to a non-minority. It behooves the saints to do Leftwich and hurt the Bucs while helping themselves pick wisejust because of the rule. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Agreed. And I think there should be more compensation in promoting from within than getting hired away. That shows a dedication to development. Especially if the replacement is hiring. 

Someone brought up a good point of what if a team decides to be petty: lets say that Sean Peyton leaves the Saints, and the Saints decide to hire Byron Leftwich, who for all reasons was a level coin flip candidate to a non-minority. It behooves the saints to do Leftwich and hurt the Bucs while helping themselves pick wisejust because of the rule. 

I don't understand this criticism. How would hiring Leftwich hurt the Buccs in that scenario? I'm pretty sure they would receive a 3rd round pick for losing Leftwich, if I understand the rule correctly. I'm not arguing that this expanded Rooney Rule is good, just that I don't understand that specific criticism. 

20 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't understand this criticism. How would hiring Leftwich hurt the Buccs in that scenario? I'm pretty sure they would receive a 3rd round pick for losing Leftwich, if I understand the rule correctly. I'm not arguing that this expanded Rooney Rule is good, just that I don't understand that specific criticism. 

Well that part is about you get to take away a key part of their coaching staff and get a benefit for doing so. The guy that did this worded it far better than I did and he used someone like a DB coach from the Colts to be the HC of the Texans. You know your gonna suck so might as well get rewarded for it.