Keith Butler retiring

armsteeld

11 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Well that part is about you get to take away a key part of their coaching staff and get a benefit for doing so. The guy that did this worded it far better than I did and he used someone like a DB coach from the Colts to be the HC of the Texans. You know your gonna suck so might as well get rewarded for it. 

Oh I think I understand. So hypothetically you'd hire a minority candidate who wasn't quite ready to lead a tank, get the draft compensation, and then ditch the dude. That makes sense, and it seems like teams will start gaming this system. 

18 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Oh I think I understand. So hypothetically you'd hire a minority candidate who wasn't quite ready to lead a tank, get the draft compensation, and then ditch the dude. That makes sense, and it seems like teams will start gaming this system. 

If you hold on to them for 3 years you get another comp pick.  5th round I think,

Woof, Butler's really going out there to try to make himself "look better".

Latest round:

~ Pass rush getting upfield too much is why the run defense is bad.

~ Claims to know nothing of what was going on with Tuitt (This is a bad coach if true, almost sounds like out of sight out of mind).

~ Claimed Bush's lack of attacking was because of the knee (and not just, you know, not good).

~ Saying Tomlin took away play call duties from LeBeau too (this one I don't buy at all, because the reports didn't come until 2017).

Honestly it really feels like Butler is trying to set himself to be able to do something like Arians did.  Take a year off, try to latch on somewhere else, and rise back up to stardom.  From what I understand Tomlin always had some input on how to blend his secondary scheme understandings to the zone-blitz front.  It wasn't until we went through the bad defense stretch that Tomlin took a much more hands on approach.  Again, from what I understand, Butler still did the Monday-Saturday prep work with Tomlin having involvement, then come Sunday Tomlin handled much more of the play calling with Butler giving input.  While the downfall of the defense played into Tomlin's decision, it was also partly helped by Ben's command of the offense post Arians that Tomlin felt like he didn't need to oversee the offense quite as much.

All of this understanding makes me believe that with Ben leaving and Butler retiring, Tomin will go back some to letting the DC have much more gameday responsibility and that Tomin will get back more to overseeing the team as a whole more.  Which I think will be good with a young QB that isn't quite in command that he (Tomlin) will have more push in keeping the offense in check.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 10:01 AM, jebrick said:

Perhaps Butler can design schemes and coach but is not a good playcaller.  We see it in OCs all the time.

It doesn't sound like he ever actually had a chance to call the plays.

Our defense has been one of the best in the business for about 20 years now. Also the NFL had passed Lebeau by a long time ago. Look at his defense when he went to Tennessee. Those fire blitzes with soft zone coverages were getting picked apart more and more. If this reveals anything to me, its that Tomlin is pretty smart when it comes to modern defenses. 

Lebeau was the coordinator in Tennessee for two seasons. His first year, he took them from 27th in points against to 16th. He wasn't exactly working with filet mignon there. We don't know exactly when and how much authority Tomlin took from him.

The Steelers defense certainly was not one of the best in the business over the last decade. Tomlin didn't get rid of the soft zone coverages until he actually had some talent in the secondary. When he was trotting out Ross Cockrell as a starter, they were still very much playing with the 10 yard cushions.

The Tomlin regime has gotten so stale it's painful. Austin is getting the nod today or Monday, according to Dulac. These guys probably love the smell of their own farts. They do nothing but go through the motions of looking at outside candidates and then keep everything in house. For a team that hasn't won a playoff game in half a decade. 

if Flores lands here, maybe he will push to get legit CB's so he can be aggressive. Not cover 0, but closer. Or maybe not, perhaps the front will remain the focal point and go from there. Butler didn't  get much out of this unit this year. Terrible vs the run and had all season to improve and didn't