The "Let it out" thread

deeluxx3

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

I expect that literally anything can happen because it's 5 games and we have a much larger body of work to look at when evaluating him. I'm not aware of any data that suggests players are different in the playoffs than they are on the regular season. For the most part, the games aren't that much different, so there's no reason to suggest he can't do in the playoffs what he can do in the regular season.

It's not like what we saw against the Bengals accurately represents what he has been for the Titans the majority of the time he has been here.

I get that people are emotional about the game and want to hang him for it, I was too at the time, but I'd rather be rational and look at everything he's done, as opposed to digging in my heels on my knee-jerk reaction and then looking for affirmation that I'm correct.

The point I'm trying to make is that the larger body of work doesn't matter, because the playoffs are a different beast from the regular season. Some guys step up to handle the pressure. Others falter. Peyton Manning is an all-time great, but no one can deny that he just didn't step up in the playoffs on the same level that Tom Brady did. That's my point - it doesn't matter what he's been doing outside of the playoffs, if every time we reach it he underperforms or flat-out hinders the team.

12 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

The point I'm trying to make is that the larger body of work doesn't matter, because the playoffs are a different beast from the regular season. Some guys step up to handle the pressure. Others falter. Peyton Manning is an all-time great, but no one can deny that he just didn't step up in the playoffs on the same level that Tom Brady did. That's my point - it doesn't matter what he's been doing outside of the playoffs, if every time we reach it he underperforms or flat-out hinders the team.

There's a weird flow to playoff performances for QBs. You mention Peyton Manning, and might not realize Peyton Manning finished with a career 87.4 QB rating. Which sounds bad relative to his regular season numbers, but for comparison, Brady's career post season QB rating is 90.4

Peyton was largely mediocre or worse in the playoffs up until his first ring. After that, for a while I believe his numbers were actually superior to Brady's in the playoffs when comparing them over the same period of time.

Then, as I've mentioned before you've got QBs like Eli who had 2 incredible runs but sucked in the rest of his appearances, Matt Ryan who was largely considered a choke artist after his first 3 visits to the playoffs but now holds the 5th highest playoff passer rating in NFL history.

QB performance in the playoff is a lot weirder than some people realize I think.

On 2/5/2022 at 8:42 PM, RuskieTitan said:

Pretty much this, but there aren't many QBs who are going to do better than what Ryan Tannehill is doing. Look at Lamar Jackson and his playoff performance, for example. You need to find an upgrade in someone who has been there before. If this team could add Aaron Rodgers, that's the kind of upgrade you're talking about! 

Getting close to a month removed from the divisional. 

Hate has eased. 

Ryan is our QB. Tim Kelly will hopefully mature the passing game. His hiring gives me some optimism. 

If next year looks the same then we will be blowing it up offensively and getting a new QB while we have a dominant defense led by Simmons/Byard/Fulton and company. 

Lean exclusively on Henry and AJ. 

Until then. Slowly rebuilding my faith in Ryan watching highlight videos of him. Hoping he makes better decision and throws next season with some added pieces at TE and WR. 

6 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Getting close to a month removed from the divisional. 

Hate has eased. 

Ryan is our QB. Tim Kelly will hopefully mature the passing game. His hiring gives me some optimism. 

If next year looks the same then we will be blowing it up offensively and getting a new QB while we have a dominant defense led by Simmons/Byard/Fulton and company. 

Lean exclusively on Henry and AJ. 

Until then. Slowly rebuilding my faith in Ryan watching highlight videos of him. Hoping he makes better decision and throws next season with some added pieces at TE and WR. 

Even before the divisional game, I felt we’re going to be looking at a mini roster rebuild within the next year or two, hence why we’re in our championship window now. Looking at the roster and contracts that expire of some older guys, next season Stafford, Jenkins, Kern are some guys who expire and Julio, Tannehill, Derrick Henry, Lewan and Autry all expire after the 2023 season. That’s not counting potential outs for contracts of guys signed longer than that like Bud Dupree.

As frustrating as the playoff lost was, running it back for “one last ride” with our core players is probably the best path next year. After next year, it’s time to start beginning our “new phase” of the Titans era built around AJ, Big Jeff and our other young guys.

Edited by TitanSlim

5 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Even before the divisional game, I felt we’re going to be looking at a mini roster rebuild within the next year or two, hence why we’re in our championship window now. Looking at the roster and contracts that expire of some older guys, next season Stafford, Jenkins, Kern are some guys who expire and Julio, Tannehill, Derrick Henry, Lewan and Autry all expire after the 2023 season. That’s not counting potential outs for contracts of guys signed longer than that like Bud Dupree.

As frustrating as the playoff lost was, running it back for “one last ride” with our core players is probably the best path next year. After next year, it’s time to start beginning our “new phase” of the Titans era built around AJ, Big Jeff and our other young guys.

Yeah that's the cycle. 

Teams with as many vets as we have tend to be very competitive. Like you said, You can only hold this thing together for so long with the contracts we have.  You are going to have to cut bait with Julio, Saffold and the such next year if not this offseason. 

I just hope that the low isn't too low. I'm hoping for a 10-7/9-8 type low instead of unwatchable 2-15. 

47 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Yeah that's the cycle. 

Teams with as many vets as we have tend to be very competitive. Like you said, You can only hold this thing together for so long with the contracts we have.  You are going to have to cut bait with Julio, Saffold and the such next year if not this offseason. 

I just hope that the low isn't too low. I'm hoping for a 10-7/9-8 type low instead of unwatchable 2-15. 

I think Vrabel and Robinson would keep the team competitive even in our “low” years. It also doesn’t hurt that we play in a division with two of the worst run teams in the league.

I’ll also say that while it’d suck to go through it, having a bad season that’d resulted in a top 5 pick isn’t necessarily the worst thing longterm. It could result in us either getting a top (QB?) prospect or using that pick to load up on additional draft picks ala 2016.

28 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I think Vrabel and Robinson would keep the team competitive even in our “low” years. It also doesn’t hurt that we play in a division with two of the worst run teams in the league.

I’ll also say that while it’d suck to go through it, having a bad season that’d resulted in a top 5 pick isn’t necessarily the worst thing longterm. It could result in us either getting a top (QB?) prospect or using that pick to load up on additional draft picks ala 2016.

Our luck when we are in position to get a QB, the top one will be Ej Manuel and Geno Smith types. lol

Ehh he lost me when he blamed Henry for us losing lol. How can you blame a guy running against 9-10 man boxes and not the guy teams are begging to beat them lol.. Can somebody finish this video and tell me what else he said? I stopped watching after that. And the fact that that he blamed Raymond falling and didn’t mention AJ running wide open against the Ravens is crazy to me lol.

On 2/7/2022 at 2:48 PM, 615finest said:

Ehh he lost me when he blamed Henry for us losing lol. How can you blame a guy running against 9-10 man boxes and not the guy teams are begging to beat them lol.. Can somebody finish this video and tell me what else he said? I stopped watching after that. And the fact that that he blamed Raymond falling and didn’t mention AJ running wide open against the Ravens is crazy to me lol.

this video is a microcosm of titans twitter