Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dr.O

2018 Mock Thread

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I need to check out Stidham. What do y'all think of Thorson in the second round?

Not a big fan. The only thing that's really to like about him is his size. And there's plenty of 6'4" 225lb QBs with talent. I'm not saying I'd hate drafting him. I'm saying I'd hate drafting him earl. I think anything before Round 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thorson is solid. Problem with NW rigid offense. Slants and checkdowns for most of time.  That is why scouts are shy away from NW but it is too crazy to overlook Thorson's talents.   He is basically a smaller Big Ben.  Not to mention that Archie Manning loves him. Dunno how many qbs he loved have a promising career in NFL but Thorson is a solid prospect.  I would take him in 2nd or even 1st but I have to wait until April to recognize the proper draft value. If he is available after 3rd then I would trade up and get him.

Edited by JetsandI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2017 at 11:02 AM, jetsfan4life51 said:

I'm 100% on the Nick Chubb round 2 bandwagon.  Two picks there and his size to go along with McGuire and Powell is perfect.

Me too. Hopefully he is still there in round 2. Much better value than Barkley in top 5 and it isnt even close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2017 at 11:02 AM, jetsfan4life51 said:

I'm 100% on the Nick Chubb round 2 bandwagon.  Two picks there and his size to go along with McGuire and Powell is perfect.

Pass. . . He's not even the best back on his team.  I'd take Michel over him and he is a late 2nd early third round guy.  You want to go RB in round 2 then shoot for a stud like Guice, Jones II, Wadley, Love, or even Harris.  I think the 3rd round is going to be the sweet spot for a RB.  Depending on what we do in round 1 with a QB round 2 is going to be where we look for a OT, Pass Rusher, CB, or C.  

Edited by Rockice_8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Pass. . . He's not even the best back on his team.  I'd take Michel over him and he is a late 2nd early third round guy.  You want to go RB in round 2 then shoot for a stud like Guice, Jones II, Wadley, Love, or even Harris.  I think the 3rd round is going to be the sweet spot for a RB.  Depending on what we do in round 1 with a QB round 2 is going to be where we look for a OT, Pass Rusher, CB, or C.  

The numbers Chubb has put up in the SEC is great, didn't he just break a record?

He's bigger and violent, goes well with Powell and McGuire.

I'd sign up for Michel in a heart beat but I like Chubb better.  Michel is good in space but we have Powell for that and hopefully McGuire can do that.  Chubb compliments well and can easily excel doing what we try doing with Forte. He has a punishing running style and bangs the hole hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Dorance Armstrong as a pass rusher but he may only be a 3rd down guy.  Either way I like his length and think he could do wonders with his speed and bend at 3-4 OLB.  IDC if we draft a one trick pony at OLB we need someone who excels at getting to the QB.  Let JJ do the rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

The numbers Chubb has put up in the SEC is great, didn't he just break a record?

He's bigger and violent, goes well with Powell and McGuire.

I'd sign up for Michel in a heart beat but I like Chubb better.  Michel is good in space but we have Powell for that and hopefully McGuire can do that.  Chubb compliments well and can easily excel doing what we try doing with Forte. He has a punishing running style and bangs the hole hard.

Chubb in 2nd round is good but many people will expect him to be 1000k yard product.  He has power but he runs too tall for my liking. Very easy to tackle him. He is basically 50 pct shot at 900k yard in NFL. You can find someone after 4th round for that expecation. 

You need to remember that Jets aren't high on RB.  Traded for Forte and drafted RBs late.  So it is good chance that Jets will pass on Chubb in 2nd like they did on Cook last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have enough needs where I won't be mad if we pass on Chubb, so if we pull off something like 2006 and go LT, OLB, C in the 1st two rounds that would be great as well.

And to the guy who said Beachum isn't as bad as everyone says I totally agree and we can roll with him for a few years but I'd rather get the LT in now, we need the future for our QB.  Remember it took Brick 3-4 years to become elite and as much as I defended him his rookie year he was very overmatched.

Edited by jetsfan4life51

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

The numbers Chubb has put up in the SEC is great, didn't he just break a record?

He's bigger and violent, goes well with Powell and McGuire.

I'd sign up for Michel in a heart beat but I like Chubb better.  Michel is good in space but we have Powell for that and hopefully McGuire can do that.  Chubb compliments well and can easily excel doing what we try doing with Forte. He has a punishing running style and bangs the hole hard.

You're looking at it too black and white.  We have a nice 3rd down back in McGuire so we need a banger.  You want to bring in a short yardage guy as the 3rd back that's fine but if I'm taking a back that early he better be special not a thumper that can be had in the 4th-5th.  Why not just wait on a guy like Rashaad Penny then who can fill that role just fine.  I want someone who can be special and I just don't see that with Chubb given his inability to catch the football in space he compares to Jordan Howard who was taken in what the 5th.  There is a real chance that a guy like Guice is there early third or Ronald Jones II both look like future stars in the NFL.  Even smaller guys like Love or Wadley look special and can be game changers in both the run game and pass game.  I prefer a guy who can do both not just a banger in the run game, especially round 2.  Just sign Hill in FA for that role but in round 2 we better shoot for a star.  

This RB class is flat out loaded and big time RB's are going to fall to round 3 easily.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we do go with the Cousins route then I prefer to go something like this.

Cuts

Wilk, Skrine, Ijilana, Forte

Cap Space = 93M

FA would be pretty simple 

QB - We go all in on Cousins with a front loaded deal as Jetskidd explained.  

WR - Watkins - We have depth here but adding an explosive WR can't hurt since we have some money to spend.  Anderson and Watkins with Q back in the slot give Cousins some big play ability with two very good deep ball WR's.  I know the Rams gave up a lot for him but with Woods, Kupp and Austin they may be best spending money to keep their CB locked up among other pieces.  I don't see him needing a Jeffrey type deal to pull him out of LA.  Maybe 10M could do it since he hasn't put up superstar stats the past few years.  At 25 though he is still in his prime and finally healthy.

C - With trouble In NYG land we swoop in an pry Weston Richburg across town.  Even with Cousins we should be able to make offers to Watkins and Richburg.  Top 5 C money could do the trick 9M per. 

Lock up Q for around 5-6M going forward.

The rest we use on depth with smaller signings like bringing back Davis, Claiborne, ASJ etc.  

After the FA period is over we should have about 13-17M remaining in cap, give or take, that is with a huge Cousins 40M hit in year 1 which will go down when we have to resign our own players like Williams, Anderson when the time comes.

Draft

1st - (Best LT) - Williams or Brown seem like the top two guys right now and if we are committing to Cousins then we need to help him.  Beachum has been solid and I would still like to keep him and let the rookie ease in but a big time road grader like Brown or an all around LT like Williams will help the offense so much for the future as well as give us insurance should an injury occur.  See FA signings for more OL help. 

2nd - (OLB) - Okoronkwo has been doing nothing but getting to the QB this year and we need that in the worst way.  AT 6.0' 240 he is not what teams view as NFL standard for an OLB but the guy just produces.  There are rumors of round 1 but I could see a team go for measurables over production.  Best pure rusher we have had in probably in over a decade.  Put him on the blind side and let him do his thing.  For his size he surprisingly gets high marks in setting the edge which is encouraging.)

SEA 2nd - (CB) Donte Jackson - One of the two talented CB's at LSU but due to his size he may slip.  Jackson is extremely fast and athletic and will make a great slot CB to take over for Skrine when cut.

3rd - (RB) Sony Michel - There are going to be stud RB's falling to round 3 and I would be thrilled with most of them.  I think Morton loves an all around back and Michel is that.  He is not small by any means at 5'11" 215 and has the hands/speed to be a threat in space or take it the distance.  A Michel / McGuire make for a well rounded duo with a sprinkle of Powell.  Rumor is we wanted Kamara last year and missed out so Michel is a nice backup plan who has a bit of Kamara in his game.

After that we should look at maybe some ILB and DL depth as well as special teams guys. 

Overall

We added basically a revamped the OL with a stud LT in round 1 and a FA C are two biggest weaknesses.  With those additions we should now have one of the better OL's in the league.  We add a very good QB along with a 3 down RB and another talented WR to pair with a resigned Q and a star in the making in Anderson.  Watkins and Anderson are about as explosive a tandem in the NFL and Q back to his role working the whole field give this offense the ability to be special.  A good OL and a 3 down back just take the pressure of Cousins to lean on the run game.

Defensively we need a pass rusher and help at CB.  We hope Claiborne stays healthy again and one of the young guys steps up.  By adding a pass rusher,  hopefully an upgrade in the slot, and an improved S tandem we can have a defense who can fly around and complement what should be a high powered offense.  Similar to how ATL, NE, NO, PHI are operating where they score and put pressure on teams to keep up which helps the defense.

I mean as much as I am hesitant on Cousins that could be a really good team next year if things go well and the draft picks live up to their potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

If we do go with the Cousins route then I prefer to go something like this.

Cuts

Wilk, Skrine, Ijilana, Forte

Cap Space = 93M

FA would be pretty simple 

QB - We go all in on Cousins with a front loaded deal as Jetskidd explained.  

WR - Watkins - We have depth here but adding an explosive WR can't hurt since we have some money to spend.  Anderson and Watkins with Q back in the slot give Cousins some big play ability with two very good deep ball WR's.  I know the Rams gave up a lot for him but with Woods, Kupp and Austin they may be best spending money to keep their CB locked up among other pieces.  I don't see him needing a Jeffrey type deal to pull him out of LA.  Maybe 10M could do it since he hasn't put up superstar stats the past few years.  At 25 though he is still in his prime and finally healthy.

C - With trouble In NYG land we swoop in an pry Weston Richburg across town.  Even with Cousins we should be able to make offers to Watkins and Richburg.  Top 5 C money could do the trick 9M per. 

Lock up Q for around 5-6M going forward.

The rest we use on depth with smaller signings like bringing back Davis, Claiborne, ASJ etc.  

After the FA period is over we should have about 13-17M remaining in cap, give or take, that is with a huge Cousins 40M hit in year 1 which will go down when we have to resign our own players like Williams, Anderson when the time comes.

 

Just out of curiosity, why does everyone seem to think the Rams will let Watkins walk? Only 24 years old, didn't get a full year in the system but still flashed, finally healthy... oh, and the Rams sent a top 32 corner AND a 2nd round pick... 

Watkins will be back in LA, whether he signs a long-term extension, franchise/transition tag, or a 1-year "prove it" deal, I can't see them letting him go. The only two players hitting FA that are true impact players are Tru Johnson (who has been rumored to be a guy they let walk) and Watkins, meanwhile, they'll have over $50 million in cap space. 

Otherwise, I think your FA strategy is sound. I don't think the Jets need to add more receivers... We're in good shape with Robby/Kearse/Enunwa/Stewart/Hansen. If someone is there in the draft that's BPA go for it, but I don't think we need to worry about spending big money in FA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Richburg is a solid and realistic grab at center. I could see some Giants players wanted to move on. Plus the Giants are likely going to prioritize Pugh in free agency.

I don't think we necessarily have to go LT in the first round. My preference would be best player at a primary need position (QB, LT, OLB). The best player may very well be a LT. So, I could see us going with a player like Williams. 

While this is a really good WR free agent class, I don't like the idea of adding a WR in FA. We have 3 solid WR  that compliment each other and a solid TE. Plus we have 2 developmental WR and a developmental TE. 

Michel would be a great addition to the backfield. 

Solid off-season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Just out of curiosity, why does everyone seem to think the Rams will let Watkins walk? Only 24 years old, didn't get a full year in the system but still flashed, finally healthy... oh, and the Rams sent a top 32 corner AND a 2nd round pick... 

Watkins will be back in LA, whether he signs a long-term extension, franchise/transition tag, or a 1-year "prove it" deal, I can't see them letting him go. The only two players hitting FA that are true impact players are Tru Johnson (who has been rumored to be a guy they let walk) and Watkins, meanwhile, they'll have over $50 million in cap space. 

Otherwise, I think your FA strategy is sound. I don't think the Jets need to add more receivers... We're in good shape with Robby/Kearse/Enunwa/Stewart/Hansen. If someone is there in the draft that's BPA go for it, but I don't think we need to worry about spending big money in FA. 

Agreed and not to mention, we are trying to rebuild a culture here, and Watkins not only hasn't been productive in LA (whose offense is top 5) but he also has a history of an attitude and lacks discipline. We've gone this route and are purging the roster of these type of clowns. Would only want him if we got him at a bargain and he was easy to get rid of if he decided to be a jerk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×