2018 Mock Thread

Dr.O

WR I don’t think is a luxury. I think we surely can upgrade at the spot. It’s not a huge need, I’ll agree with that. But if we can’t land a big name like Cousins, Bridgewater or Bell. I certainly think spending on a guy like Robinson, Adams, Watkins or Landry would be worth it. Mainly Robinson bc he won’t cost much coming off injury. Upgrading surrounding talent will make whoever is at QBs job a lot easier. Enunwa missed all season and is a nice #2 when healthy. Anderson if used right is a nice #2 with big play ability. Kearse I view as nothing special. And we’ve seen nothing from Stewart or Hanson.

56 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Hypothetical situation

Say the Jets lose out, end up with the 8th pick. Assume that the final draft order has CLE 1 and either SF/IND at 2. Kirk Cousins is NOT signed by the Jets and Petty/Hackenberg do little to convince the Jets they have futures as starting QBs in the final 3 games. 

Would you be on-board with the Jets sending a package that includes their 1st, 2nd, and 2019 1st in order to move up for who they perceive to be the top signal caller in the draft?

Yes. I'd be so bold as to say, if Rosen/Darnold come out, I would do whatever it takes to get into the top 3. 

55 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’d move up for that price. Really it’s only giving up next years 1st since we have 2 2nds.

I think we are both in agreement that a price like that is a deal. I think it's going to cost far more than that to make a move though.

3 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

Would you be on-board with the Jets sending a package that includes their 1st, 2nd, and 2019 1st in order to move up for who they perceive to be the top signal caller in the draft?

Just those picks for top 5 QB? I would take it.  It may be arguably the cheapest deal for QB since Jets took Mark Sanchez.

5 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

I think we are both in agreement that a price like that is a deal. I think it's going to cost far more than that to make a move though.

I don't think that price is that far off. The Eagles traded their 1st (8th overall), 3rd and 4th plus 1st and 2nd in the following year's draft. The 2nd pick in the Wentz draft was worth more because there were only 2 QBs viewed as 1st RD picks and Goff had already gone first overall. The next two QBs were Paxton Lynch (viewed as project) and then Brissett in the 3rd round. Where as in this draft, you potentially have 4 QBs viewed at Top 15 picks. 

But assuming that the 2nd pick has the same value, we likely just need to add a 4th round pick to make them equal. 

So, assuming the FO really likes Rosen and Darnold goes 1st (or viceversa), than I wouldn't mind them trading up. However, I wouldn't do it because I think Jackson and Mayfield have just as much potential. 

3 hours ago, SDotNova said:

I don't think that price is that far off. The Eagles traded their 1st (8th overall), 3rd and 4th plus 1st and 2nd in the following year's draft. The 2nd pick in the Wentz draft was worth more because there were only 2 QBs viewed as 1st RD picks and Goff had already gone first overall. The next two QBs were Paxton Lynch (viewed as project) and then Brissett in the 3rd round. Where as in this draft, you potentially have 4 QBs viewed at Top 15 picks. 

But assuming that the 2nd pick has the same value, we likely just need to add a 4th round pick to make them equal. 

So, assuming the FO really likes Rosen and Darnold goes 1st (or viceversa), than I wouldn't mind them trading up. However, I wouldn't do it because I think Jackson and Mayfield have just as much potential. 

Philly traded up a week before the draft started, they didn't know who would be the pick at that point. In the event we can talk the Browns out of staying at 1 then I'd have to imagine there will be a ton of other teams looking to get up that high. I don't foresee the same value in a trade 

1st, 3rd, 4th + 1st and 2nd was the Eagles trade I'd have to imagine we are looking at 1st, 2nd, 2nd and a 1st at the minimum (Bills can offer more than that if they choose)

On 12/11/2017 at 10:19 AM, jetskid007 said:

Hypothetical situation

Say the Jets lose out, end up with the 8th pick. Assume that the final draft order has CLE 1 and either SF/IND at 2. Kirk Cousins is NOT signed by the Jets and Petty/Hackenberg do little to convince the Jets they have futures as starting QBs in the final 3 games. 

If we have to trade up for a QB, I don't care what it cost any more. we can't continue to miss out on QBs.

23 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I can’t see the Browns trading away their pick. They’ve done that the last 2 years and those QBs have been Wentz and Watson. Surely they’ve learned there lesson.

This. You can cross one QB off the list instantly. This is the year they get their guy.

5 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

If we have to trade up for a QB, I don't care what it cost any more. we can't continue to miss out on QBs.

I’m concerned with Macs ability (or lack of) to evaluate a QB. He traded up to secure Petty and all those rumors about Mac smitten with Hackenberg.. were true. Both guys are so bad they can’t beat out a 38 year old journeyman. Gross.

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

I’m concerned with Macs ability (or lack of) to evaluate a QB. He traded up to secure Petty and all those rumors about Mac smitten with Hackenberg.. were true. Both guys are so bad they can’t beat out a 38 year old journeyman. Gross.

In all fairness to Macc, keep in mind the cost spent (2nd and 4th). They took risks on developmental prospects that haven't quite worked out yet. Ted Thompson drafted Ingle Martin in the 5th and Brian Brohm in the 2nd before knowing what he had in Aaron Rodgers... Macc deserves a shot to select a 1st round QB before you can write him off. Ozzie Newsome drafted Chris Redman in the 3rd, Kyle Boller in the late 1st,  and Troy Smith in the 5th before selecting Joe Flacco (say what you want about him, he won them a Superbowl), and he's widely viewed as one of the best evaluators in the game. Bottom line: you have to be in position to take a QB in round one, and once you are, then you can be judged on whether you succeed/fail. 

Macc was smitten with Goff and Deshaun Watson and has tried trading up the past three years (Mariota, Goff, and Watson after the 6th pick). His biggest failure has been the inability to move up, but given the circumstances, it's understandable why he wasn't able to (TEN didn't want to trade their pick in 2015, we were too far down to move up to 1 in 2016, and CLE rejected our offer for 12 in 2017). 

Hopefully the circumstances will be different this time around. 

Browns won't trade down for a nice deal. They'll only consider it if we're absolutely butt fudging someone in a deal. Plus there are two elite QB prospects this year. It's going to cost an astronomical amount of picks to get us to trade out of the #1 spot.

Trade us your #1, 2019 #1, 2018 2nd, 2019 4th and WR Robbie Anderson and you have yourself a deal. That's a robbery by us, but it's really what I think it'd take to acquire that #1 pick.

The good news is: SF would love to trade out of the #2 spot, if they end up there instead of the Giants. NYG would probably take the QB Cleveland didn't take at #2, but they could also be tempted to trade out with a nice deal.

Browns fans would revolt if we traded out of the #1 spot.

2 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

In all fairness to Macc, keep in mind the cost spent (2nd and 4th). They took risks on developmental prospects that haven't quite worked out yet. Ted Thompson drafted Ingle Martin in the 5th and Brian Brohm in the 2nd before knowing what he had in Aaron Rodgers... Macc deserves a shot to select a 1st round QB before you can write him off. Ozzie Newsome drafted Chris Redman in the 3rd, Kyle Boller in the late 1st,  and Troy Smith in the 5th before selecting Joe Flacco (say what you want about him, he won them a Superbowl), and he's widely viewed as one of the best evaluators in the game. Bottom line: you have to be in position to take a QB in round one, and once you are, then you can be judged on whether you succeed/fail. 

Macc was smitten with Goff and Deshaun Watson and has tried trading up the past three years (Mariota, Goff, and Watson after the 6th pick). His biggest failure has been the inability to move up, but given the circumstances, it's understandable why he wasn't able to (TEN didn't want to trade their pick in 2015, we were too far down to move up to 1 in 2016, and CLE rejected our offer for 12 in 2017). 

Hopefully the circumstances will be different this time around. 

Excellent post. Jets fans tend to get trigger happy. The GM position needs more time. Idzik was a rare case. The head coach on the other hand needs to change. I think Mac retains Bowles though. Would be difficult to compete with the Giants search at the same time. 

12 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Excellent post. Jets fans tend to get trigger happy. The GM position needs more time. Idzik was a rare case. The head coach on the other hand needs to change. I think Mac retains Bowles though. Would be difficult to compete with the Giants search at the same time. 

I can understand why Jet fans are trigger happy, how long has it been since the Jets had a real NFL QB. You are right, Mac does need more time. he will have 4 1/2 months to get a QB one way or another. But he better not fail. 

Archived