2018 Mock Thread

Dr.O

7 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Excellent post. Jets fans tend to get trigger happy. The GM position needs more time. Idzik was a rare case. The head coach on the other hand needs to change. I think Mac retains Bowles though. Would be difficult to compete with the Giants search at the same time. 

You want to fire Bowles again? 

I wouldn’t exactly call 4 years impatient. He either gets a QB this offseason or we fire them both. If in 4 seasons the best guys you can place under center are Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh McCown you deserve to be fired.

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

You want to fire Bowles again? 

I wouldn’t exactly call 4 years impatient. He either gets a QB this offseason or we fire them both. If in 4 seasons the best guys you can place under center are Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh McCown you deserve to be fired.

Every single game I watch him miss use timeouts or not know the correct way to play a situation is insanely frustrating. I am done defending him. I just do think he will definitely be back. 

This is going to be a big off season for mac as well. Get it done Mac...

13 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

I’m concerned with Macs ability (or lack of) to evaluate a QB. He traded up to secure Petty and all those rumors about Mac smitten with Hackenberg.. were true. Both guys are so bad they can’t beat out a 38 year old journeyman. Gross.

I'm not going to trip about taking a QB in the 4th and him not being a starter. The Hack project failed. So I will admit that.

That might be a bigger reason to trade up and lock in one of the top QBs. I'm still a fan of Josh Allen. He checks all the boxes for me.

18 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Every single game I watch him miss use timeouts or not know the correct way to play a situation is insanely frustrating. I am done defending him. I just do think he will definitely be back. 

This is going to be a big off season for mac as well. Get it done Mac...

While I agree with you... what has Bowles or Macc done in 3 full seasons to give you any confidence they’ll get it right this offseason?

9 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Excellent post. Jets fans tend to get trigger happy. The GM position needs more time. Idzik was a rare case. The head coach on the other hand needs to change. I think Mac retains Bowles though. Would be difficult to compete with the Giants search at the same time. 

Regardless how you feel about Bowles, it makes sense to keep him around. You want continuity, and as a rebuilding franchise he and his staff have done a good job of coaching the young players. He's what we need in terms of shifting the culture, leading the young guys in the rebuild. I think we'd be a far more attractive job opening next year than this year (if Bowles were indeed fired). Also, it would leave a bad taste among the rest of the coaches in the league to fire Bowles and his staff after far exceeding expectations this year.

I want to see this staff back, and if Bowles doesn't get to keep his job past 2018, we may already have a candidate to replace him on the coaching staff in John Morton

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

While I agree with you... what has Bowles or Macc done in 3 full seasons to give you any confidence they’ll get it right this offseason?

Nothing. Bowles should of been fired for having nothing between his legs last week going into half time. That was absolutely putrid. 

he’s a god awful head coach. But we need to continue with it! Continuity. Rebuild. Start veterans. Keep rebuilding. Make a QB who can’t get his team to the playoffs the highest paid player in NFL history. go Jets 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Mac actually purged the roster COMPLETELY which we've needed done for quite some time and that is not even debatable IMO. He did the work, cleared the cap and has set us up to move forward with capital to improve the roster. His drafting has been eh, his contracts have been eh, and he absolutely raped the Seahawks on the Sheldon trade. He definitely needs more time. You cant keep firing GMs they need to have time to execute a plan. Has definitely left a lot to be desired but he needs to at least get another offseason. 

He took a chance on Hack, it hasn't worked out and we have every right to be critical of that pick. GMs miss way more than they hit on QBs. Petty was a 4th round pick and very low risk hard to say it was a bad pick he just didnt work out.  He gets one more chance. If he misses again obviously hes going to be sent packing. 

I agree with @jetskid007 about continuity which was my biggest factor in keeping Bowles but my god does he make it so hard. In hindsight I wish we let him go after last year and brought in Doug Marrone. Not even because of Marrones record in Jacksonville but I liked his success in Syracuse and he made Buffalo competitive with terrible QBs. Either way if we have a competitive roster and are in close games, Bowles is going to kill us with clock management and not knowing how or when to use TOs. Has shown little improvement. I just think Mac brings him back. 

If I were truly going with my gut, I am keeping Mac and firing Bowles. We still need a HC with more discipline, control, and ability to actually coach the game and not just make defensive calls. I also wouldn't replace him with yet ANOTHER coordinator looking to move up. Sign a coach wit a pedigree, we have no absolutely zero luck hiring coordinators. This also gives Mac the ability to hire HIS guy and make no mistake....Bowles was hired first and Mac was hired with Bowles as the condition regardless of the order they were announced. Can someone else just buy this team?

42 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Regardless how you feel about Bowles, it makes sense to keep him around. You want continuity, and as a rebuilding franchise he and his staff have done a good job of coaching the young players. He's what we need in terms of shifting the culture, leading the young guys in the rebuild. I think we'd be a far more attractive job opening next year than this year (if Bowles were indeed fired). Also, it would leave a bad taste among the rest of the coaches in the league to fire Bowles and his staff after far exceeding expectations this year.

I want to see this staff back, and if Bowles doesn't get to keep his job past 2018, we may already have a candidate to replace him on the coaching staff in John Morton

I think coaching up young players is the biggest feather in the cap of this coaching staff. I also think they put players in position to succeed. Anderson is the obvious player to point out. But you also Lee, Jenkins, and Shell. And players like ASJ, Kearse, and Davis are producing at a higher level than on their previous teams. But Bowles has some learning to do, especially with clock management and being more aggressive in the 2 and 4 minute drills.

As far as Macc, his drafting and roster construction has gotten better each year. The biggest knock on him is that he hasn't drafted an elite/impact player yet. As of now, his best draft picks and UDFA have been Anderson, Williams, Adams and Maye. Those 4 look to be above average players. Then you have players like Shell, Lee, and Jenkins who are average. At some point he needs to hit a HR.

I would argue that we are significantly better at several positions than we were a couple of years ago. AND, we are a lot younger. So, there is a better chance for more sustained improvement this time. We never had that under Rex Ryan, imho. Also, the culture on this team is FINALLY where a professional football team should be. And we have plenty of cap space for improvement, and our draft pick situation is also favorable.

SO, to recap, we have changed the culture in the locker room. We have a lot more young talent at several positions than we used to have. We have plenty of cap space to retain most of the players we want to keep, and make a few key additions at positions of weakness and we should have another solid draft (coming off a pretty good one last year).

Do we have problems? Of course. We need a QB. But overall, we have improved dramatically this season in a year where most people expected a Cleveland Browns-type of bottoming out. 

SO, at this point not only do I believe both Maccagnan and Bowles will remain, but I feel they deserve to come back as well.

49 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Mac actually purged the roster COMPLETELY which we've needed done for quite some time and that is not even debatable IMO. He did the work, cleared the cap and has set us up to move forward with capital to improve the roster. His drafting has been eh, his contracts have been eh, and he absolutely raped the Seahawks on the Sheldon trade. He definitely needs more time. You cant keep firing GMs they need to have time to execute a plan. Has definitely left a lot to be desired but he needs to at least get another offseason. 

He took a chance on Hack, it hasn't worked out and we have every right to be critical of that pick. GMs miss way more than they hit on QBs. Petty was a 4th round pick and very low risk hard to say it was a bad pick he just didnt work out.  He gets one more chance. If he misses again obviously hes going to be sent packing. 

I agree with @jetskid007 about continuity which was my biggest factor in keeping Bowles but my god does he make it so hard. In hindsight I wish we let him go after last year and brought in Doug Marrone. Not even because of Marrones record in Jacksonville but I liked his success in Syracuse and he made Buffalo competitive with terrible QBs. Either way if we have a competitive roster and are in close games, Bowles is going to kill us with clock management and not knowing how or when to use TOs. Has shown little improvement. I just think Mac brings him back. 

If I were truly going with my gut, I am keeping Mac and firing Bowles. We still need a HC with more discipline, control, and ability to actually coach the game and not just make defensive calls. I also wouldn't replace him with yet ANOTHER coordinator looking to move up. Sign a coach wit a pedigree, we have no absolutely zero luck hiring coordinators. This also gives Mac the ability to hire HIS guy and make no mistake....Bowles was hired first and Mac was hired with Bowles as the condition regardless of the order they were announced. Can someone else just buy this team?

He purged the roster HE brought in. Revis, Marshall, Fitz, etc. So he gets credit for getting rid of bad signings he made in the 1st place?

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He purged the roster HE brought in. Revis, Marshall, Fitz, etc. So he gets credit for getting rid of bad signings he made in the 1st place?

Marshall had the best season for a Jets WR in history and Fitz has the best QB season in jets history so its hard to say those were bad moves. The following year it didn't work out. Firing a GM every 2-3 years is how you turn into the Browns

37 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Revis was mandated by ownership. Marshall was a savvy trade: a 5th round pick ended up being the best single season of any WR in Jets history. Fitzpatrick proved to be an adequate backup/bridge player.

Ultimately, you can look back and try to analyze what happened/didn't happen, but in reality, I can't say Maccagnan outright "failed" in any respects. In 2015, it would've been nice to see the Jets move on from Geno in the first place, and I can't fault Macc because he made attempts to trade up for Mariota without success and tried to trade for Kirk Cousins via trade without success.

Move forward to 2016: Macc's biggest mistake was giving into Fitzpatrick. Who would've been the QB in 2016 had we not brought back Fitz? There was no one in FA and we tried to move up for Goff without success. Lee has shown signs of development, and imagine we had drafted Lynch instead? Sure you can criticize him for not selecting Dak, but I'm not sure he would've even gotten on the field here... the only reason he did in Dallas was due to injury to Romo and Moore. In all likelihood, he would've been our 4th QB just like Hackenberg was, and we'd have no true idea how good he could've been. A 1st rounder for Bradford? That would've ended horribly. Macc had no choice but either stick with what he had or bring back Fitz; he opted for Fitz. Even though we didn't pay him too much, it would've been much more beneficial to go our separate ways despite fan/player/coach/media/ownership pressure... Still, Maccagnan came out looking like the smart one; despite all the pressure, he stuck to his guns and refused to give Fitz a multi-year deal, knowing that his 2015 season was an aberration.

In 2017, reports suggest Adams was the highest player on our board (if not he was #2 to Garrett) and we were higher on Watson then we were Trubisky. Even if we lost more games our draft board likely would've remained the same. 

This year is the big year. The roster has his finger prints all over it, we have decent talent throughout, we have money that we have to spend to meet the cash minimum, and extra draft capital. Either go out and trade for/sign a QB or draft one. If he fails to do either AND both Hackenberg/Petty fail, then we should seriously be questioning if Maccagnan should be the GM of this football team. Until then, I'm happy with what he's done given the circumstances. 

13 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Trade us your #1, 2019 #1, 2018 2nd, 2019 4th and WR Robbie Anderson and you have yourself a deal. That's a robbery by us, but it's really what I think it'd take to acquire that #1 pick.

It would suck to lose Robby but I think I'd do that in a heartbeat. We need a QB in the worst way, if we are trading up to #3 we will likely have to give up next years 1st anyway. We have 2 second rounders this year so it wouldn't leave us high and dry really. A 2019 4th is not going to make me say no to acquire that kind of QB. Robby Anderson has been a great surprise and has been one of our top players but I'd give him up for a franchise QB in a heartbeat. So yes if you like that deal then let make it happen!

I don't think there is any way to convince you guys to move back though. I think the Jets and Bills are 2 teams that would be willing to throw the kitchen sink at the opportunity to go after a QB this year.

Archived