The Aaron Rodgers Grief Phase: Acceptance

HeresAGuy

1 hour ago, StatKing said:

Favre wasn't coming off back to back MVPs and was literally filing retirement papers just so he could avoid going to training camp. Rodgers has basically already said he isn't retiring. Two completely different scenarios.

Also they see Love in practice everyday. They know by now if he can play. You don't need 3 years to be able to tell.

Bull! 

Rodgers essentially is speaking just like Favre did after his heart-wrenching playoff loss and flirting with retirement. It is hard for great players to be decisive about ending a career that they have spent their lives doing and is such a HUGE part of their identities. Both front offices faced tough choices in very ambiguous  circumstances.  Aaron's story likely has a number of unwritten chapters, as did Brett back in 2007.

As to your absolute assessment that Love doesn't have it and the Packers should already know it. I retort, Love is raw and talented. The Packers know that much - nothing more or nothing less. 

Kurt Warner, an UDFA was cut by the Green Bay Packers early in the preseason in '94 with an assessment of not having what it would take to be even a NFL backup. Kurt then spent the next 3 seasons with the Iowa Barnstormers in the Arena Football League followed by part time work in NFL Europe before finally getting back on an NFL roster with the St. Louis Rams as a backup.

Kurt was a guy that everyone was sure didn't have what it took. Of course that was until leading  the "Greatest Show on Turf" to a Super Bowl victory in 1999 and the league MVP. He returned to the Super Bowl with the Rams 2001. After spending time with the New York Giants as a stop-gap for Eli Manning, where again folks began to believe he had nothing to offer in the way of another Super Bowl run, he moved to Arizona where he went out with a bang - including taking the Cardinals to the 1998 Super Bowl. 

Likewise, Atlanta and Jerry Glanville, were certain that Brett Favre was a joke of a wasted draft pick and would never make it in the NFL. Ron Wolf believed otherwise, and the Hall of Fame has a very worthy member who sure proved otherwise, despite facing growing pains along the way.

Warren Moon, another Hall of Fame QB spent 6 years in the CFL before making it in the NFL.

I know you think you know that J🧡 is a bust, but than again...

Edited by BAM

18 minutes ago, BAM said:

As to your absolute assessment that Love doesn't have it and the Packers should already know it. I retort, Love is raw and talented. The Packers know that much - nothing more or nothing less. 

I dont know how good Love is going to be, but I think the Packers have a good idea of where he is. 

None of us will know until he gets the job, gets time to settle in, gets at least 10 games to get a read on him, and goes through the growing pains every QB goes through.   

I do know this for sure, if Love ends up being the Packers QB next season, the journey becomes easier with more draft picks to build around him.   

We wont know until he plays regularly week in and week out for a season and we can decide from there.   Anything before that is guessing.   

Edited by NFLGURU

3 hours ago, Toddfather said:

I just hope we know the direction shortly after the super bowl. I know they said it will be quick, but I really just want to enter the acceptance phase and move forward either way.

Agree, they need to get busy with the personnel moves and contracts either way.  I think Rodgers is going to see what happens with Adams.  They may need to tag Adams or convey the will tag him to get things started with Rodgers.  

21 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Agree, they need to get busy with the personnel moves and contracts either way.  I think Rodgers is going to see what happens with Adams.  They may need to tag Adams or convey the will tag him to get things started with Rodgers.  

They have to franchise tag the guy.  Far too valuable to let get away for a 3rd round comp pick in 2023. 

NFL teams can retain the rights to one of their impending free agents in 2022 with the use of a non-exclusive or an exclusive franchise tag during a 15 day period from Feb. 22 to March 8.

6 minutes ago, GHARMON9 said:

If Eagles offer 15,16,19 and Jalen Hurts

For - Aaron Rodgers, Davante Adams.

Do you take that ? 

That would give us 15,16,19,28 in the draft. 

I'd love to see the hypotheticals. 

Well, I think it would be impossible because the Eagles have $11M in cap room but it's a nice thought.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jaire_Island said:

If Rodgers is coming back for once shall we go on all Offense play makers draft.

Should be a focal point.  Depends on the flow of the draft and what happens with Love.  Rodgers, if he returns is going to be year to year as far as retirement.  You want to set the table for Love when/if  he takes over.  You don't want Love in there with St Brown and Winfree.  You want a good WR/TE Corp for the next QB.  If they are good as rookies with Rodgers, that's a bonus.

19 minutes ago, GHARMON9 said:

If Eagles offer 15,16,19 and Jalen Hurts

For - Aaron Rodgers, Davante Adams.

Do you take that ? 

That would give us 15,16,19,28 in the draft. 

I'd love to see the hypotheticals. 

You'd have to look at the draft and the quality.  Getting first rd picks is great, but when the talent drop-off is at #10, those picks can go from franchise players to ok players quick.  I'm not sure where this draft is quality-wise, but every draft has a drop-off point.  Getting picks after that point delutes your pick.  You can always trade around though. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why? So he can not throw to them?

If you're bringing Rodgers back, you're losing $30 million in investment from the defense. That's got to get replenished.

Obviously, we'll draft the next Davante, wait two years while Rodgers learns to trust him (and this guy cleans up his drops like Davante did), wait another year when he establishes himself as a reliable WR2, and BOOM. Top 10 receiver in the league.

I call it The Last, Laster, Lastest, Lastester Dance. We will only be $100m over the cap, but we'll get Rodgers that chance he deserves at another super bowl ring.

Edited by pgwingman