The QB Options Thread (Reality it's Tanny2022)

KingTitan

It is going to be Tannehill. I don't believe we could move him, and the dead cap is an issue if we were to even consider cutting him. Rodgers will definitely not come here, if he did, it'd take a pretty big shift in our current philosophy to make that happen, and I doubt they are open to it. Nor should they, really. Wilson would make much more sense, and I'd be on board, but again, I doubt it happens because we likely won't be able to move Tanny in the first place.

Unless we hit big time on a rookie, and from what I've heard and seen it doesn't project as a promising QB class, I don't see how anyone can take his spot either. Daniel Jones has just one more year left on his rookie deal, and though I do think he could be salvaged somehow, I'm not holding my breath for him.

But yes, we should start forming a plan for what the QB future will look like. And FWIW, I do still believe Ryan is capable of bouncing back.

I don’t think there are better options than Tannehill for us. Just trot him out there, try to position yourself to have the most draft capital you can in 2023.

And do your due diligence in the QBs of this class. Some of the “top” QBs might be around at the bottom of the first.

A move no one is talking about, but should: 

Get Atlanta on the phone for Matt Ryan.

The sell point: Reuniting Arthur Smith with Ryan Tannehill, a QB he knows and has had success with. Tannehill can bridge their rebuild, while we get Matt Ryan to help take us over the top. The guy has chemistry with Julio, the guy has tons of playoff experience, an MVP to his name and a Super Bowl start. He'd immediately have weapons here again, which he doesn't have in ATL, a strong run game, a great coach and defense. 

I think it's genuinely a great fit. 

Next point: The money. This is where I see this being an actual sell for Atlanta. Ryan is owed an insane amount of money in 2022. There's almost no team that would trade for him. Tannehill's cap number would probably represent '22 savings for them. 

To me, this is the realistic scenario where I could see a fit for both sides. Win-now move, allows us to extend our playoff window -- allows the Falcons to move on from Ryan in a way that sells it to him as giving him a chance to go win a title. 

There's a lot of goodwill for Matt Ryan in the region. It's marketable, it makes football sense and it's a 10m loss on our cap, but I'd take a 10m cap hit to move on from Tannehill and get us a QB capable of piloting a team to the big dance now. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It’s like Tannehill, but with even better regular season stats!

You were probably one of the people who didn't want Brady also. 

I sure as hell would have loved that 0 int stat line he put up last night.

I also didn't state that there is a likelihood that Rodgers wants to come here. I simply stated "what if" in the idea of even possibly making it happen.

10 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

He won't.

And even if he did, it’d take the Packers actually agreeing to trade him. And I’m not sure they’d be in a real rush to send him to a team that’s picking in the late 20s with no second.

Given our lack of premium picks, the ask probably includes one of AJ or Simmons.

17 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

A move no one is talking about, but should: 

Get Atlanta on the phone for Matt Ryan.

The sell point: Reuniting Arthur Smith with Ryan Tannehill, a QB he knows and has had success with. Tannehill can bridge their rebuild, while we get Matt Ryan to help take us over the top. The guy has chemistry with Julio, the guy has tons of playoff experience, an MVP to his name and a Super Bowl start. He'd immediately have weapons here again, which he doesn't have in ATL, a strong run game, a great coach and defense. 

I think it's genuinely a great fit. 

Next point: The money. This is where I see this being an actual sell for Atlanta. Ryan is owed an insane amount of money in 2022. There's almost no team that would trade for him. Tannehill's cap number would probably represent '22 savings for them. 

To me, this is the realistic scenario where I could see a fit for both sides. Win-now move, allows us to extend our playoff window -- allows the Falcons to move on from Ryan in a way that sells it to him as giving him a chance to go win a title. 

There's a lot of goodwill for Matt Ryan in the region. It's marketable, it makes football sense and it's a 10m loss on our cap, but I'd take a 10m cap hit to move on from Tannehill and get us a QB capable of piloting a team to the big dance now. 

I like the different thought but is Matt Ryan really an upgrade over Tannehill right now? I don’t see it.

3 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I like the different thought but is Matt Ryan really an upgrade over Tannehill right now? I don’t see it.

I actually thought about this. 

I just want a QB that won't turn the ball over and make the throw when called upon. 

Can the guy hit an open guy?  Does he understand situations? Can he make good decisions? Can he allow us to play great defense, run the ball and not turn it over? 

A QB that would have done that this year we are getting ready for AFC championship game. 

I mean Alex Smith, Mac Jones. We are still playing.

Marcus even likely wins that game yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I actually thought about this. 

I just want a QB that won't turn the ball over and make the throw when called upon. 

Can the guy hit an open guy?  Does he understand situations? Can he make good decisions? Can he allow us to play great defense, run the ball and not turn it over? 

A QB that would have done that this year we are getting ready for AFC championship game. 

I mean Alex Smith, Mac Jones. We are still playing.

Marcus even likely wins that game yesterday. 

To me all that gets us to is a loss next week. 

I want a young quarterback who has promise. I get it, that's not a reality though cause we are stuck with RT.

At this point we are obviously not going to tank.

My honest hope, is next year we kind of have the year the Niners had the previous season. They fought but just ended up not being great. Go 5-12, 6-11. Position yourself this off-season to gain assets in the following draft to possibly  move around to get the qb you want.

23 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

To me all that gets us to is a loss next week. 

I want a young quarterback who has promise. I get it, that's not a reality though cause we are stuck with RT.

At this point we are obviously not going to tank.

My honest hope, is next year we kind of have the year the Niners had the previous season. They fought but just ended up not being great. Go 5-12, 6-11. Position yourself this off-season to gain assets in the following draft to possibly  move around to get the qb you want.

Say it with me, fam: Matty. Ice. 

• Like 1