The QB Options Thread (Reality it's Tanny2022)

KingTitan

Just now, SpacemanSpiff said:

Say it with me, fam: Matty. Ice. 

I would much rather prefer him to Tannehill, that's a 100 percent for sure.

Tannehill is going to take quite a bit of excitement out of Titans football for me if we have to watch that all year.

I want a young guy. But if we were to go established route and I could take anyone out of the possible rumored qbs, I would want Russ. I think Russ would be a problem in our offense.

4 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

I would much rather prefer him to Tannehill, that's a 100 percent for sure.

Tannehill is going to take quite a bit of excitement out of Titans football for me if we have to watch that all year.

I want a young guy. But if we were to go established route and I could take anyone out of the possible rumored qbs, I would want Russ. I think Russ would be a problem in our offense.

You can want a young guy all you want, but 2022 is essentially garbage. Ryan Tannehill represents an upgrade over basically every QB there. Maybe you could get Tua or Zach Wilson, Jalen Hurts or Minshew? Minshew would definitely fit the culture here, but if the concern is winning -- we haven't seen him do that. I see Tua as a smarter, more accurate Tannehill, so maybe, if he's legitimately on the block, but I don't think he is at this point. I just don't see a young option who IS the upgrade. Vet is the answer -- for now. All these QBs in this class suck.

Edit: I saw you mentioned Russ, but I can't see Nashville being on his list of destinations. He wants to be let loose to play a spread-out style of football that he thinks he can show he's elite in. I don't necessarily think that's the best thing for him from an actual winning perspective, but it's what he wants. I don't see Tennessee allowing him or wanting him to play that brand of football. I think Rodgers makes the most sense from that perspective, if not my previous suggestion in this thread. I definitely see Vrabel being the kind of coach and Tennessee being the kind of FO that would bend to Rodgers and give him the power he seeks. 

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

1 minute ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

With a FAR, FAR worse team. Come on. 

uh…remember how our entire offense got injured this year? for a big chunk of the season there wasn’t a QB in football aside from maybe trevor lawrence with a worse supporting cast than tannehill.

Just now, -Hope- said:

uh…remember how our entire offense got injured this year? for a big chunk of the season there wasn’t a QB in football aside from maybe trevor lawrence with a worse supporting cast than tannehill.

Offensively I'll give you; defensively I wouldn't say so. Maybe Matt Ryan would have been identical in the regular season, but not in the playoffs. 

Just now, SpacemanSpiff said:

Offensively I'll give you; defensively I wouldn't say so. Maybe Matt Ryan would have been identical in the regular season, but not in the playoffs. 

perhaps, but he’s 36 and hasn’t had a really good season in 4 years. don’t see the point in hitching our wagon to him at all.

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

perhaps, but he’s 36 and hasn’t had a really good season in 4 years. don’t see the point in hitching our wagon to him at all.

A. It's better than hitching your wagon to Ryan Tannehill in 2022 
B. He doesn't cost that much more to get 
C. He's a clear upgrade as a passer and understands how to work with a key piece of our supporting cast
D. You can get out of his deal after 2022 if it doesn't work out and draft a rookie in a better class 

No other vet (that I would want) gives you that possibility 

7 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

A. It's better than hitching your wagon to Ryan Tannehill in 2022 
B. He doesn't cost that much more to get 
C. He's a clear upgrade as a passer and understands how to work with a key piece of our supporting cast
D. You can get out of his deal after 2022 if it doesn't work out and draft a rookie in a better class 

No other vet (that I would want) gives you that possibility 

A.) Debatable

B.) But he costs more and we need all the cap we can get just to resign our own players. 

C.) Debatable about clear upgrade as a passer

D.) We wouldn’t be drafting for a QB anyway so it doesn’t matter.

the more i think about it, the more obvious it seems that the first order of business this offseason should be replacing downing. now, personally i still think RT isn’t it. but does anyone at all think that a better QB would really play to their full ability with downing at the helm? 

ultimately we need to fix both OC and QB, but realistically we can only do one of those this offseason bc of RT’s contract. but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do it! get me tim kelly, get me jay freaking gruden, get me anyone who can run the show more competently than this guy. then figure out the QB situation after next season.

• Like 1

I get that it's just where we're at right now, but I am so tired of having to build an offense around a limited QB. The ultimate goal should be to find a guy that can help our offense evolve rather than just stay relatively the same.

I started looking at some of the QB prospects last night, and I'm intrigued by Malik Willis. Unfortunately, I don't have any faith whatsoever in Downing being able to develop a QB. Malik has a lot of great tools to work with though. Great arm and incredible mobility. Has to get better at reading defenses and knowing when to give up on plays at times like most rookies, but there's some aspects of his game that if handled properly could take our offense to the next level. I just don't trust Downing to handle him properly at all.

He'd benefit from a year on the bench. Have Tannehill for another year similar to the 49ers Jimmy G/Trey Lance situation. If the wheels fall off with Tannehill next year at least we have a guy waiting in the wings that has the potential to turn our offense into a seriously high powered unit. 

There's a long way to go with draft stuff, but Malik is one I'm thinking about right now.

Really anxious to see how Robinson handles the offseason

i agree that Downing needs to go. Kinda just one of those hires/seasons where even after year 1, you know it’s not too early/hasty to just cut bait. But I would be SHOCKED if he goes. Just not Vrabel’s style. A new OC, assuming he’s coming from the outside, would likely want to bring his own staff in. I still really wish we hired Pep Hamilton.

we have lost three playoff games in a row. Back to back one-and-dones. QB is officially a long term position of need. Financially we aren’t in a good place.

I do not envy his job.

10 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

I get that it's just where we're at right now, but I am so tired of having to build an offense around a limited QB. The ultimate goal should be to find a guy that can help our offense evolve rather than just stay relatively the same.

I started looking at some of the QB prospects last night, and I'm intrigued by Malik Willis. Unfortunately, I don't have any faith whatsoever in Downing being able to develop a QB. Malik has a lot of great tools to work with though. Great arm and incredible mobility. Has to get better at reading defenses and knowing when to give up on plays at times like most rookies, but there's some aspects of his game that if handled properly could take our offense to the next level. I just don't trust Downing to handle him properly at all.

He'd benefit from a year on the bench. Have Tannehill for another year similar to the 49ers Jimmy G/Trey Lance situation. If the wheels fall off with Tannehill next year at least we have a guy waiting in the wings that has the potential to turn our offense into a seriously high powered unit. 

There's a long way to go with draft stuff, but Malik is one I'm thinking about right now.

This basically sounds like Vince Young, and that sounds lovely and all in today’s NFL, but let’s be real: Our team is not known for progressivism on offense. Our identity has always been smashmouth, and these types of quarterbacks end up totally limited playing in our type of offenses. If you hired Dan Mullen as your OC, maybe I could see that somehow working out, but with our receivers? With our line? Still a no. Willis would be a total bust with our team.