Pre-Senior Bowl Mock Draft / Offseason

taylor made

Free Agency

Cap Space: 37 Million

Cut LB/S Landon Collins (Saves 6.6 Million) - Landon's contract has been a burden on this franchise ever since we signed him. We drafted effectively a WLB last year in the first round and it is just time to move on. 

Cut DL Matthew Ioannidis (Saves 6.9 Million) - I like Mat Ioannidis but this is a numbers and age game and he's just not worth his current contract. He produced better numbers in the 3-4 defense when he signed his contract. 

Updated Cap Space: 50.5 Million

Let RG Brandon Scherff WALK - I am a big Brandon Scherff fan and I initially thought it might have been feasible to bring him back under the franchise tag ($25 million plus) but we just don't have the cap space if we want to resign a lot of our upcoming free agents. 

Resign WR Terry McLaurin (4 years, $20.5 Million per year, 82 million total), ~ 14 million dollar cap hit (2022)

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-football-team/terry-mclaurin-29112/market-value/

Resign DT DaRon Payne (4 Years, $17.5 Million per year, 70 million total), ~12 million dollar cap hit (2022) - DaRon had somewhat of a down year so I think now is a great time to resign him. VIta Vea just got a huge contract right around this area and I think that is about fair value for DaRon Payne. 

Resign DT Tim Settle (3 years, $7.5 million per year, 22.5 million total) ~ 5 million dollar cap hit (2022) I opted to cut Ioannidis and to give that money to Tim Settle instead. I'm not sure what Settle is worth really and this is more of a guess than anything. He's a type of player that you might regret let walking as he is turning 25 years old this year. He had 5 sacks last year and while he didn't do much this year, he doesn't get many snaps because he was behind Matt Ioannidis. 

Resign DB Bobby McCain (1 year, 5-6million) Bobby didn't play great in the beginning of the season but he stepped it up later and he offers the team a lot of flexibility at FS and CB. I'm not sure if he's the future but he's an okay stopgap. I'm not sure what he's worth but I think he'll get more than he did last year. 

Resign OT Cornelius Lucas (2 year deal. 4 million) - Although he wasn't as good as last year for us, Lucas has been a great swing tackle for us if we ever need a backup. 

Resign WR DeAndre Carter - Carter was a surprise last year and was a favorite target for TH. We can keep him around for pretty cheap I think

Let RB JD McKissic WALK - JD has been a pleasant surprise and this might not be popular but he is turning 29 years old next year and I think his best play is behind him. He's not really a guy I can rely on if Antonio Gibson goes down to operate as the team's #1 running back and that bothers me.  

Sign Free Agent RB Chase Edmonds (3 years, 5.2 million per year, 16 million total) ~3.5 million dollar cap hit (2022) - I linked an article below that Chase Edmonds might be on his way out in AZ with the emergence of James Connor. Chase won't cost that much more than it would have to resign JD McKissic and he offers better running skills and youth at the same time. He'd be featured as the team's main pass catching running back. https://raisingzona.com/2022/01/22/chase-edmonds-last-down-arizona-cardinals/

Estimate Cap Space after Free Agency: $7 million left

NFL DRAFT:

1st Round: MLB Nakobe Dean, Georgia, 11th pick

r922567_1296x518_5-2.jpg

Jamin Davis hasn't really turned into the MLB that the team envisioned and when you have David Mayo or either the corpse of Jon Bostic as your projected starting MLB that is a problem. I think the team will have the option between Nakobe Dean and Devin Lloyd which is a good problem to have. Right now, I have Nakobe Dean slightly ahead. Nakobe does have some size issues however. It would be nice if he was an inch taller, which I don't think he is. He almost looks like he is in the upper 5'11" range, but we'll hopefully see at the combine for sure. He is rumored to be quite athletic: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/223998/nakobe-dean

I have projected Kenny Pickett and Matt Corral to be picked in the top 10 so they would be unavailable. If either of those were available, I would most likely choose them over Nakobe Dean.  No other quarterback is worth pick #11 at the moment in my eyes. 

2nd round: QB Carson Strong, Nevada, Pick #42

carson-strong-nevada-getty.jpg

There's a large group of 2nd tier quarterbacks in this draft and this team is in a great position to take whoever falls to their selection at #42. Do I think this coaching staff would actually take Carson Strong? Probably not. But they should absolutely consider him. History shows that 2nd round quarterbacks usually don't pan out but I think drafting one would alleviate the QBOTF need and there's always a chance to hit. It also wouldn't handicap us into not being able to take another 1st round QB prospect in the future like reaching on a Malik Willis or Sam Howell at #11 would. 

Now like I said above earlier this coaching staff would probably be too stubborn to take a non-dual threat QB but Carson probably has the best size/arm combo in the entire draft. If you look at his 2021 tape you would think this guy is a statue with limited mobility but if you turn on his 2020 tape you will see a QB who can manipulate the pocket better. (Carson had surgery in the off-season) Carson ran for 208 yards this year and he's not totally immobile. 

3rd round - Romeo Doubs, WR Nevada

unlv-nevada-football-reno-united-states-

If you've watched any Carson Strong highlight reels, you could pretty much retitle it to a Romeo Doubs highlight reel as well. If I am drafting Carson Strong in this year's draft I'd also try to snag Doubs as well as their connection is quite apparent. Ron Rivera hasn't had much luck drafting mid level WRs but he could snag one here in Doubs. 

4th Round: RB Tyler Allgeier, BYU

9972691.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

Antonio Gibson hasn't been the model of health in his career and the team has been missing a RB that can convert those crucial 3rd and short running plays. Jaret Paterson could be that guy but it would be nice to have more depth at the RB position and especially someone with size. 

5th round: Alec Lindstrom, RG Boston College

This is Atlanta Falcons' Chris Lindstrom's brother and while I would like to have possibly addressed the RG position earlier it just didn't happen in this mock draft. 

*ROUGH* DEPTH CHART

OFFFENSE:

QB: Taylor Heinicke/Carson Strong/ Kyle Allen

RB: Antonio Gibson/Chase Edmonds/Tyler Allgeier/Jaret Patterson

WR: Terry McLaurin/Curtis Samuel/Cam Sims/Dyami Brown/Romeo Doubs/DeAndre Carter

TE: Logan Thomas/John Bates/RSJ

LT: Leno/Cornelius Lucas

LG: Ereck Flowers/ Saadiq Charles

C: Chase Roullier/Tyler Larsen/Keith Ismael 

RG: Wes Schweitzer/Alec Lindstrom

RT: Samuel Cosmi/Cornelis Lucas

DEFENSE: 

LDE: Chase Young/ James SW

LDT: DaRon Payne/Bada

RDT: Jonathan Allen/Tim Settle

RDE: Montez Sweat/Shaka Toney

SLB: Cole Holcolmb

MLB: Nakobe Dean/David Mayo

WLB: Jamin Davis/Khaleke Hudson

LCB: Kendall Fuller/ BSJ

RCB: William Jackson III/Danny Johnson

FS: Bobby McCain / Darrick Forest

SS: Kam Curl / DeShazor Everett

Let me know what you think. This team has so many holes it is hard to fill them all. The only thing I think I missed out on was upgrading DE depth. 

Edited by taylor made

You lost me at cutting Ioannidis & paying another DT top D-lineman $. I’m in the camp of we should re-sign Settle and trade Payne for a 2nd round pick plus a mid or late route pick. We’d have Ioannidis & Settle battling it out for our starting DT job next to Allen. You’d also have 2 more picks after trading Payne  where you can sign a better back up DE for depth or a DT to compete w/ Settle & Ioannidis.

I don’t hate re-signing McCain, but him consistently blowing coverages as a FS was a major concern. I understand that we drafted Darrick Forrest last year to be a back up safety and we have Jeremy Reaves but, I’d like to draft or sign a better FS. Maybe that 3rd round draft pick even beats out McCain if he’s re-signed for the starting job.

I’m fine w/ signing Edmonds and letting McKissic walk but I think it’s a downgrade as a receiving back. It’s not to say that Edmonds isn’t a good receiving back out of the backfield, but I would say that McKissic is an elite option as a receiver out of the backfield. He’s a converted college WR who could also play in the slot if we needed him to. Again, I’m fine with the move, but personally I’d just rather re-sign McKissic.

I love re-signing Carter & Lucas, no brainers and should be at the top of our list as our FAs to re-sign along with Settle but I personally only think Settle can be re-signed if we don’t trade DaRon Payne bc I think Settle could go to a lot of other teams and start, or at least get more snaps. Trading Payne and re-signing Settle seems like the best option for long term roster construction to me.

I love the draft, the only thing I’d change is I’d like us to take a mid round FS prospect after taking Dean & Strong in round 1 & 2.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

Yeah no need to cut Matt. If anything I agree with Turtle in resigning Settle and trading Payne who will be an expensive player to sign long term.

I don’t see why we would sign chase Edmonds and not Mckissic. Mckissic has proven the he fits this offense really well. So in your case of signing Edmonds then why draft a RB in the 4th?

Im cool with LB in the first if we can figure out the QB situation. I like Strong, just don’t like his fit with us. He’s not mobile enough to play in this offense.

I didn’t approve of how much TB paid Vea, and I definitely wouldn’t approve of giving that kind of money to Payne. You just can’t pay huge bucks to DTs who aren’t major pass-rush threats.

We keep waiting for that to happen with Payne — and it keeps not happening. Maybe he goes elsewhere and somebody makes him a 3-tech and it clicks for him. But Jonathan Allen is always going to be in that role for us, and Payne just isn’t a consistent threat to QBs from that 1-tech spot. We see the flashes. Love the flashes. But just not a consistent pass-rush presence. 

I love Terry McLaurin more than just about anything (not exaggerating), but I still don’t think he’s done enough yet to put himself reasonably in $20M+ contract range. The only guys with higher AAV contracts than that are Deandre Hopkins and Julio Jones, and a guy who has never yet played in a Pro Bowl just can’t be in that discussion. Big fan of signing him long-term, but I’m thinking closer to $15-17M annually. 

I can see the argument for letting McKissic go and getting a 3DB who is a little bit more of a traditional back — he’s not really a true backup for Gibson, as it’s not like you’re gonna give him 20+ carries as a lead back. I think I’d just look to draft a better RB3, as you did. 

Big fan of Nakobe Dean as a player, although I do prefer Devin Lloyd at MLB. I just wonder if Nakobe is a little undersized to hold up there. 

Not a fan of Day 2 QBs, as I’ve said elsewhere a lot. It just doesn’t really ever work out. 

13 hours ago, e16bball said:

I just wonder if Nakobe is a little undersized to hold up there. 

I thought the same thing of Roquan Smith when he came out of Georgia. 

He was under 6’ and under 230 at Georgia, now he’s 232. Dean will have to put on 5 to 10 lbs like Smith did, Shazier did and other college LBs going into the pros, that’s definitely possible.

Edited by turtle28

I like a lot of what you did here.  If we get Dean and Strong like that i think that would be great.  But I disagree with these moves:

Ionnaidis- He is a pittance in cost compared to Payne, Allen.  I would extend him before Payne.  
McCain - Busted coverages all season.  Can't play free safety in space.  Constantly misses the right man to take.  Why are we keeping him, position flex?  This is the argument for a 1 year deal.    
McKissic- Huge part of offense and the offense fell apart when he left.  He is cheap.  Why not resign?
Chase Edmonds- More expensive than a known quantity in McKissic.

• Like 1