NFC Championship Game GDT - Los Angeles Rams vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

If we pass up on Jones because of Kinlaw, I will lose my mind. Jones will be expensive, but is starting to hit his prime. Street I forgot is a FA and wouldn't be awful if we didn't bring him back, but he also should be very cheap. Key is a priority, IMO.

We are tight on cash and at some point we can just keep throwing money on interior  pass rushers like that. Given the success of guys like Hyder, Key, Jones and the money already going toward AA and Bosa in short order (not to mention The dead cap to Ford) you have to start triaging that department and rely on your ability to squeeze talent and production from the position at a lower cost. 

I don't think you can afford to pay DJJ a ton of money. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Cam Akers hopefully puts us over the edge. He barely played in the Week 18 matchup, but since he's gotten going the last 2 games, it's not a coincidence that Stafford hasn't thrown an INT. Defenses cannot drop more in coverage like they did with Michel, they need to account for Akers at all times. It helps Stafford alot.

If Stafford doesn't turn the ball over, Rams win.

If he does turn it over, SF wins. That's just how I see it.

Sidenote: Best division in football. Hats off to both teams making it this far. 

Akers doesn't overly concern me. I think the net gain in and of itself is pretty negligible. He could help, don't think that's the difference that puts you over the top or anything. The 49er defense isn't really worried about any running back at the current point in time, to be honest. 

I think if you guys win, its mostly because you protected stafford much better this time around (dude has been under siege against us all year...I think we have a put pressure on him on over 40% of his drop backs despite only blitzing 14% of the time) and he didn't turn the ball over. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Akers doesn't overly concern me. I think the net gain in and of itself is pretty negligible. He could help, don't think that's the difference that puts you over the top or anything. The 49er defense isn't really worried about any running back at the current point in time, to be honest. 

I think if you guys win, its mostly because you protected stafford much better this time around (dude has been under siege against us all year...I think we have a put pressure on him on over 40% of his drop backs despite only blitzing 14% of the time) and he didn't turn the ball over. 

This is exactly it. There is no disrespect to Akers saying the Niners aren't going to change what they do for him, but that's just reality. They are going to rely on the front to do their work and then make sure they take away the deep routes...Something that has been a HUGE problem all season long. 

Going to also come down to the disguises Ryans puts in and if Stafford can diagnose them or not. Rodgers for some reason just could not and missed a few of his reads...Same with Dak. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Part of protecting Stafford is by not requiring him to drop back 40+ times and forced to make plays. If the play action is successful, it helps alleviate the pressure from SF's from 4; that ties into how successful Akers is.

He only had 32 pass attempts in Week 18 mainly due to the big lead being built and conservative/run heavy approach the Rams took in the 2H and the run game stalled with Michel. If Akers can hold onto the football, this shouldn't be the issue it was 3 weeks ago (assuming the Rams can build another large lead and sustain it). I mentioned it earlier, it's not a coincidence that Stafford hasn't had an INT in the 2 games that Akers saw 50%+ snaps. The offense with Akers looks and plays very different with him in it vs Michel/Henderson. 

3 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Part of protecting Stafford is by not requiring him to drop back 40+ times and forced to make plays. If the play action is successful, it helps alleviate the pressure from SF's from 4; that ties into how successful Akers is.

There is nothing that supports that the run game needs to be good or effective for play action to work. Studies tend to show the opposite.  You guys just don't use it a lot this year in general. I've commented on this quite a bit throughout the year because it's confounding. 

3 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

He only had 32 pass attempts in Week 18 mainly due to the big lead being built and conservative/run heavy approach the Rams took in the 2H and the run game stalled with Michel. If Akers can hold onto the football, this shouldn't be the issue it was 3 weeks ago (assuming the Rams can build another large lead and sustain it). I mentioned it earlier, it's not a coincidence that Stafford hasn't had an INT in the 2 games that Akers saw 50%+ snaps. The offense with Akers looks and plays very different with him in it vs Michel/Henderson. 

The run stalls for pretty much everyone against the niners over the last 3 months of the season. 

Again, not really overly concerned with Akers on his own. I don't think that makes or break your season. Protect stafford better. 

• Like 1

I think the Rams are the most mentally weak team in the playoffs. Just punch them in the mouth and see if they can respond reasonably, or if it will throw them off their game. I wouldn't be surprised, at this point, if we ran in Aaron Donald's face, he got angry and started throwing punches and gets ejected.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I think the Rams are the most mentally weak team in the playoffs. Just punch them in the mouth and see if they can respond reasonably, or if it will throw them off their game. I wouldn't be surprised, at this point, if we ran in Aaron Donald's face, he got angry and started throwing punches and gets ejected.

They need to get pressure on Stafford with front 4 only and thus hope it gets home b/c covering Kupp, OBJ, Vanjefferson & Higbee downfield will be a pain. 

On offense if the running game is non existent then it's big trouble b/c bringing Jimmy to this game is equivalent to bringing a knife to a gun fight and a very dull knife I should add. 

In a nutshell it's all about being able to hide Jimmy for at least another game and see if that formula can work. In reality I think the only real way the Niners can win is if Jimmy gives us a performance like he did in 2019 regular season against the Saints b/c I think they'll need some points this week.

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

Over the last 12 years, the team playing on Saturday the week before is 16-8 in the conference finals (this is probably skewed by it being the #1 seed more often than not, but still) 

I mean getting that extra day definitely helps but the higher seed usually gets rewarded by getting the Saturday games which help.

Rams are a really good ball club. I'm just happy though that there won't be much travel and the crowd noise will not be a factor. 

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

I think the Rams are the most mentally weak team in the playoffs. Just punch them in the mouth and see if they can respond reasonably, or if it will throw them off their game. I wouldn't be surprised, at this point, if we ran in Aaron Donald's face, he got angry and started throwing punches choking people and gets ejected.

Fixed it for you.

5 minutes ago, mw2noobbuster said:

For any hockey fans in here, don't tell me this team doesn't remind you of the 2019 St. Louis Blues a little bit. 

I think the Niners are more like the Giants 07/11 SB winning teams but Eli gets the nod over Jimmy as Eli wasn't as bad at completing passes.

• Like 1