The 2022 QB Class

Daniel

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

it's one of those things where the success of guys like mahomes, herbert, and especially allen is gonna break QB evaluation for awhile. teams are gonna be much more willing to pull the trigger on huge projects after seeing what allen can do, despite the fact that he's the exception and not the rule. i actually think willis might go higher than we expect because of this

Agreed. We don’t have it, but lots of other teams have staffs with good QB coaches on the roster, and in a weak class, I expect a boom or bust to be more valuable.

With our staff I don’t think there’s a QB in this class I would want to take until like mid round, because I wouldn’t expect us to be able to develop one at all. But I still think there’s likely to be some movement in the offensive staff.

10 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

I would rather have Ryan Tannehill than any of these guys. Let other teams talk themselves into this crop. Bridging to '23 is the smarter strategy, but we need a better bridge. 

Yeah, it’s not a strong group. I think this class is where you do your due diligence and if a QB drops to the point where you find value, you can pull the trigger.

I doubt that happens, so I would rather grab a TE and some OLs.

13 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, it’s not a strong group. I think this class is where you do your due diligence and if a QB drops to the point where you find value, you can pull the trigger.

I doubt that happens, so I would rather grab a TE and some OLs.

If it’s a situation where someone is sitting there in round 3 who we think could somehow push Ryan Tannehill, then I could see that. 

4 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

I would rather have Ryan Tannehill than any of these guys. Let other teams talk themselves into this crop. Bridging to '23 is the smarter strategy, but we need a better bridge. 

I’m with you here. I’m not exactly thrilled on using a 1st round pick with this QB group. And while everyone is upset and down on Tannehill, we can’t just forcefully draft a guy. That’s how you end up with the Jake Locker’s of the world. In fact this class reminds me of that 2011 QB class except there’s no Cam Newton here.

Edited by TitanSlim
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

I’m with you here. I’m not exactly thrilled on using a 1st round pick with this QB group. And while everyone is upset and down on Tannehill, we can’t just forcefully draft a guy. That’s how you end up with the Jake Locker’s of the world. In fact this class reminds me of that 2011 QB class except there’s no Cam Newton here.

With all this said, if there’s one QB I’m keeping an eye on through the draft process, it’s Desmond Ridder. If we’re going to keep running the offense we currently run he’s the guy who’d fit the most imo. Plus you see enough tools to get you excited. And the whole Vrabel-Luke Fickell connection shouldn’t be ignored.

I also found this quote interesting, as I’m sure a lot of us will as Titans fans.

Is there an QB in the NFL that you try to model your game after?

“I would say there are a couple. Guys like Deshaun Watson and Ryan Tannehill, or someone like Marcus Mariota are who I try to model my game after. I would say I am more of a Marcus Mariota kind of guy. I just take little things from him, Deshaun and Ryan Tannehill as well.”

I really don’t see the point of trying to wait until next year for a QB. Who’s to say that any of the good QBs will fall to us next year. We’re not going to be bad enough to be picking in the top 15 unless we magically fall off a cliff this off-season. If there’s a guy that we feel can be the guy you take him and sit him for a year. I really feel like Tanny needs somebody to push him, he ain’t fearing Woodside taking his snaps..Truthfully speaking tho OC needs to be the biggest change. No matter who the QB is if we’re calling plays like this past season we aren’t ever going to do much as an offense 

5 minutes ago, 615finest said:

I really don’t see the point of trying to wait until next year for a QB. Who’s to say that any of the good QBs will fall to us next year. We’re not going to be bad enough to be picking in the top 15 unless we magically fall off a cliff this off-season. If there’s a guy that we feel can be the guy you take him and sit him for a year. I really feel like Tanny needs somebody to push him, he ain’t fearing Woodside taking his snaps..Truthfully speaking tho OC needs to be the biggest change. No matter who the QB is if we’re calling plays like this past season we aren’t ever going to do much as an offense 

The problem with taking a QB this year or before you are "ready" is that you then are stuck or out on future QBs. We took Jake Locker because we "had" to get a QB. 
Because we took Locker in 2011, we didn't try to get a QB and missed out on more stable QB like Derek Carr in 2014

2012:  We didn't look at QBs and missed taking Ryan (maybe he would have developed better and had more success as a franchise.)
Didn't take a chance on Russell Wilson, Nick Foles or Kirk Cousins, all who turned out to be good pros (Russell Super Bowl QB) and maybe with Foles and Cousins, developed differently and really been our franchise guys. Foles was pretty good there for a couple years and Cousins had his teams on the door steps of Super Bowls.

Then in 2015 we made the right move and took a QB in Marcus Mariota, But our floundering with him caused us to miss the 2017 crop of Watson and Mahomes.  Both who could have been had but we took Corey Davis, trying to give Marcus more weapons. 

So what if we get to #26 pick and we take, I don't know Carson Strong.  We roll with Ryan another year, next year is Strong's year he turns out to be meh.  And 2024 has the next Luck or whoever. 

A lot of what if's. LOL 

All that to say, I dunno.  :)
I'm down with taking a QB this year. Just make sure it's the right one that you like and not forcing it. Also at same time, don't like us having Ryan stop you from drafting a QB with skills. 

So I'm on both sides. lol

27 minutes ago, 615finest said:

Well the main reason is so we don’t take a ****ty QB, and that looks likely in this class, since it’s a really weak one.

Tanny is under contract fir next year anyway, so we’re stuck with him as the starter, so no reason to rush to replace him if it’s not optimal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Well the main reason is so we don’t take a ****ty QB, and that looks likely in this class, since it’s a really weak one.

Tanny is under contract fir next year anyway, so we’re stuck with him as the starter, so no reason to rush to replace him if it’s not optimal.

Yes. Don't want a bad one. But please do the homework to make sure this class is weak.  
They thought Tua was better than Herbert. 
Thought 2017 was weak. (Mahomes, Watson)
Thought 2015 was great (Winston, Maritoa)

Don't let Ryan stop us from getting a QB and don't let him force us to get one. It's a delicate balance. lol

• Like 2

Just now, KingTitan said:

Yes. Don't want a bad one. But please do the homework to make sure this class is weak.  
They thought Tua was better than Herbert. 
Thought 2017 was weak. (Mahomes, Watson)
Thought 2015 was great (Winston, Maritoa)

Don't let Ryan stop us from getting a QB and don't let him force us to get one. It's a delicate balance. lol

Exactly. I think that largely, it’s about staff and situation as much as prospect. If a QB that the team likes just happens to fall, be ready. If we have the right staff by then, a raw QB could turn out very well: they won’t see the field for a year, and we’ve got a talented offense to work with.

But only if the value makes sense and we make offensive changes. Nothing stunts a QB like a revolving door staff, and if there aren’t changes made this season, it feels inevitable that there will be next year.

One of my biggest issues with drafting a QB this year like I've said before and like others have said is our offensive staff that's in place. Even with Ryan as the starter next year and a rookie sitting on the bench developing, if the offense falls short again Downing is likely fired next year while the rookie was on the bench and we start the merry go round of coordinators for our rookie QB before he even sees the field. 

JRob might think differently, but I just don't believe we have the offensive staff in place right now to warrant bringing a rookie QB into the offense. Downing should go this offseason for many reasons, but one of them being so that if we do decide to get a rookie QB he can be on the same timetable as the new OC. Bringing a rookie QB into the current situation and tying him to Downing is a ticking time bomb regardless of who the QB is.

25 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

One of my biggest issues with drafting a QB this year like I've said before and like others have said is our offensive staff that's in place. Even with Ryan as the starter next year and a rookie sitting on the bench developing, if the offense falls short again Downing is likely fired next year while the rookie was on the bench and we start the merry go round of coordinators for our rookie QB before he even sees the field. 

JRob might think differently, but I just don't believe we have the offensive staff in place right now to warrant bringing a rookie QB into the offense. Downing should go this offseason for many reasons, but one of them being so that if we do decide to get a rookie QB he can be on the same timetable as the new OC. Bringing a rookie QB into the current situation and tying him to Downing is a ticking time bomb regardless of who the QB is.

I think we've seen that Vrabel isn't the kind to just rotate coordinators because he feels like it. Almost the opposite. He loves that continuity. 

I think if we were to draft a QB, keep Downing and Tannehill and things go predictably bad, he'd fire Downing, trade Ryan and find a OC that perfectly fit the new QB or the scheme we want to run. 

I have a lot of faith in Vrabel to make staff decisions. Downing isn't his shinning moment but outside of that he has made the right choice (LaFluer, Smith, DC's). 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I think we've seen that Vrabel isn't the kind to just rotate coordinators because he feels like it. Almost the opposite. He loves that continuity. 

I think if we were to draft a QB, keep Downing and Tannehill and things go predictably bad, he'd fire Downing, trade Ryan and find a OC that perfectly fit the new QB or the scheme we want to run. 

I have a lot of faith in Vrabel to make staff decisions. Downing isn't his shinning moment but outside of that he has made the right choice (LaFluer, Smith, DC's). 

that's completely backwards, though. if you can't trust someone to develop a QB you sure as hell shouldn't trust someone to evaluate and draft one. 

this whole idea that we can't draft a project QB because we don't trust our offensive staff to develop one is insane. like, if you don't have faith in your offensive staff to do that much, then it's a bad staff! period! and vrabel deserves a mountain of criticism if that's the route he goes. we saw the impact a revolving door had on mariota.

• Like 2