The 2022 QB Class

Daniel

After watching some Carson Strong tape, the main thing that jumped out at me was that I want his tight end.

Dude's got a big arm, and can make NFL throws into tight windows for sure, but he also got a LOT of help on 50/50 balls from Turner and Lockhart, and he seems to have a strong tendency to stare down his first read the whole way.  In a lot of his big highlight throws, it looked like safety help was on its way, and was just a little too slow to get there in time.  In an NFL offense, against an NFL defense, I don't think he can get away with that at all.  And does he take snaps from under center at all?

If he falls to the third, sure.  But he is raw.  Needs to learn progressions, taking snaps under center, and not telling the defense what you're about to do.  He'll be a lot of work, but there is upside there with good size.  If he runs well at the Combine, I'd be interested.

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

After watching some Carson Strong tape, the main thing that jumped out at me was that I want his tight end.

Dude's got a big arm, and can make NFL throws into tight windows for sure, but he also got a LOT of help on 50/50 balls from Turner and Lockhart, and he seems to have a strong tendency to stare down his first read the whole way.  In a lot of his big highlight throws, it looked like safety help was on its way, and was just a little too slow to get there in time.  In an NFL offense, against an NFL defense, I don't think he can get away with that at all.  And does he take snaps from under center at all?

If he falls to the third, sure.  But he is raw.  Needs to learn progressions, taking snaps under center, and not telling the defense what you're about to do.  He'll be a lot of work, but there is upside there with good size.  If he runs well at the Combine, I'd be interested.

This seems pretty weird. He looks to be quite easily the most advanced quarterback of anyone in this class at going through his progressions and reading the field.

This year, yes, I think it’s been mostly shotgun. Last year, before the injury, I’ve seen him go under center.

4 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

This seems pretty weird. He looks to be quite easily the most advanced quarterback of anyone in this class at going through his progressions and reading the field.

This year, yes, I think it’s been mostly shotgun. Last year, before the injury, I’ve seen him go under center.

Watched his K State game, and I think you're right.  He can move through the progressions, but he does stare down receivers IMO.  Especially for big throws.

Watching Ridder stuff now, and I like him more than Strong, but he definitely does look a LOT like Tannehill, in both good and bad ways.

29 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Good for them. :)

Also conflicting reports on Strong and Ridder being good/bad. 

I think it's an eye of the beholder thing.  A lot of people seemed to give a lot of slack on Day 1 for a lack of chemistry and Day 2 for rain, while a lot of others don't.

I've only seen conflicting reports on how Pickett is doing.  About the only one universal is Willis.  Which isn't surprising.