Random Thoughts - 2022 Jan - to the Draft

dll2000

10 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

(for the record I don't think Robinson is great. I'm not upset he's gone in the least. I was just hoping Poles would find a similar player in terms of talent level)

Is there some kind of law that prohibits Poles from doing so? I don't get it. 

10 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Once again, the Rams did

Once again--the Rams paid him $15 mil/year to be a #2, or maybe even a #3, receiver. 

They just won the Super Bowl, they'd like to do it again this season. 

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Tagging a player expecting to be an UFA does not make him happy.  

You ever see a franchised guy simply not show up? I don't believe I have.

I think the strongest, reasonable, (negative) reaction to letting Robinson walk would be a "Meh", and a shoulder shrug.

Everybody around here ******* about how the Bears need to get younger--then freak out when Poles starts getting rid of older players. Can't say that reaction computes, for me. 

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Is there some kind of law that prohibits Poles from doing so? I don't get it. 

Once again--the Rams paid him $15 mil/year to be a #2, or maybe even a #3, receiver. 

They just won the Super Bowl, they'd like to do it again this season. 

You ever see a franchised guy simply not show up? I don't believe I have.

I think the strongest, reasonable, (negative) reaction to letting Robinson walk would be a "Meh", and a shoulder shrug.

Everybody around here ******* about how the Bears need to get younger--then freak out when Poles starts getting rid of older players. Can't say that reaction computes, for me. 

You tell me if there's a law. I didn't think so, but perhaps there is because he evidently doesn't think upgrading WR is a priority (or allowed)

$15M is a lot, no? If he's such a lazy sack of crap, why did a team who wants to repeat sign him? Why didn't they use that on someone more talented with more heart?

I didn't want Poles to get rid of old players. I wanted him to get rid of crappy & players who didn't want to be in Chicago

It seems the forum is having trouble today.  My grade the draft thread has just vanished and a bunch of other posts the same.  Ive gotten a bunch of error messages trying to load the site at different times this morning.

2 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

It seems the forum is having trouble today.  My grade the draft thread has just vanished and a bunch of other posts the same.  Ive gotten a bunch of error messages trying to load the site at different times this morning.

I noticed that

An extremely early look at the potential 2023 draft class shows this could be a big year for David Montgomery as there is a ton of talented RBs in that class...Bijan Robinson, Sean Tucker, Zach Evans & Jahmyr Gibbs especially...will be interesting to see what it does to his market value...

TE looks far more talented next year compared to this so could be a last chance saloon for Cole Kmet as well especially with what the TE position is in this offence...

WR lacks a truly elite X receiver but man there is a lot of talent & speed there as well...offensive skill positions could look very different for that season...

On defence CB & Safety looks super deep...

As much as I hope we are not bad enough to be in position to get him Georgia UT Jalen Carter would be an amazing pick for us...if we are a big better I like Will McDonald IV would be a a long term replacement for Robert Quinn.

4 hours ago, CBears019 said:

I edited a post yesterday, and the site posted me quoting myself. Weird. 

5 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Glad to hear this...a refresh is needed.

Maybe? Pace was so inconsistent, in everything, that it's hard to say how much blame to lay at the feet of the scouts. 

Couple of things to express an opinion on.

1) ARob vs Pringle; ARob at his best is obviously the better guy but we may find having a WR like Pringle works more effectively in this offense.  Pringle can't high point throws like ARob but he's much faster and maybe more versatile than ARob.

2) We lack a true X WR.  Maybe, and maybe not.  It all depends on how you view a given players skill set.

And then a Wild Card question;

Those of you who did mocks.  How many players you mocked ended up being drafted by the Bears and if so in what round did you see them being drafted. Be honest and tell us why what you mocked varied from what Poles did.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Maybe? Pace was so inconsistent, in everything, that it's hard to say how much blame to lay at the feet of the scouts. 

Some of these guys were here under Emery as well...Jeff Shiver has been with the Bears for 33 years...time to make some changes in order to freshen up our processes...can't keep doing the same things and expect different results.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

Some of these guys were here under Emery as well...Jeff Shiver has been with the Bears for 33 years...time to make some changes in order to freshen up our processes...can't keep doing the same things and expect different results.

But they keep doing that in regards to the offense and defense. 

Just now, blkwdw13 said:

But they keep doing that in regards to the offense and defense. 

You mean being balanced? Yeah that is what you should be trying to do...people have a short memory...

Chicago Bears 2021 NFL Draft Picks:

Round 1, pick 11 (from NYG) – Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State

Round 2, pick 39 (from CAR) – Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State

Round 5, pick 151 (from CAR) – Larry Borom, OT, Missouri 

Round 6, pick 217 (from TB through SEA) – Khalil Herbert, RB, Virginia Tech  

Round 6, pick 221 – Dazz Newsome, WR, North Carolina

Round 6, pick 228 – Thomas Graham Jr., CB, Oregon

Round 7, pick 250  (from SEA) – Khyiris Tonga, DT, BYU

Again I get everyone wants offence but you don't build a franchise by just hitting one side of the ball...Andy Reid was on NFLN speaking about just that.

• Like 2

Just now, Madmike90 said:

You mean being balanced? Yeah that is what you should be trying to do...people have a short memory...

Chicago Bears 2021 NFL Draft Picks:

Round 1, pick 11 (from NYG) – Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State

Round 2, pick 39 (from CAR) – Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State

Round 5, pick 151 (from CAR) – Larry Borom, OT, Missouri 

Round 6, pick 217 (from TB through SEA) – Khalil Herbert, RB, Virginia Tech  

Round 6, pick 221 – Dazz Newsome, WR, North Carolina

Round 6, pick 228 – Thomas Graham Jr., CB, Oregon

Round 7, pick 250  (from SEA) – Khyiris Tonga, DT, BYU

Again I get everyone wants offence but you don't build a franchise by just hitting one side of the ball...Andy Reid was on NFLN speaking about just that.

That’s nice and all, but not relevant to the new staff. And for an offense that was bad it either stayed the same at best or got worse. All the while they continue to build up the defense. As of now nothing has changed for the franchise except for names. 

Just now, blkwdw13 said:

That’s nice and all, but not relevant to the new staff. And for an offense that was bad it either stayed the same at best or got worse. All the while they continue to build up the defense. As of now nothing has changed for the franchise except for names. 

Of course it is...they need to look at current resources as well as future cap implications...the talent on the board at the time was better on the defensive side of the ball in Poles opinion than on offence...he did the right thing by taking the talent because we aren't one player away from being great.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Of course it is...they need to look at current resources as well as future cap implications...the talent on the board at the time was better on the defensive side of the ball in Poles opinion than on offence...he did the right thing by taking the talent because we aren't one player away from being great.

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886rzs4e9cn91jyvpd9ks

23 minutes ago, soulman said:

Those of you who did mocks.  How many players you mocked ended up being drafted by the Bears and if so in what round did you see them being drafted. Be honest and tell us why what you mocked varied from what Poles did.

I didn't do any mocks, but I messed around with that draft simulator endlessly. It never gave me a scenario in which Gordon and Brisker were both available where the Bears picked them. I believe Brisker fell to me once, in all the times I ran a simulation, and I don't remember Gordon falling to me at all...

• Like 1