Random Thoughts - 2022 Jan - to the Draft

dll2000

On 1/30/2022 at 8:40 AM, Ty21 said:

Mel Kiper couldn’t. He never gets any picks right. 

Even though he has very below average actual scouting skills, no coaching ability or playing experience that dude still made millions by identifying a niche first and jumping on it.

But you can see why, was it Polian? - no Tobin, was pissed when Kiper was ripping him.  I get it.  Who the hell is this guy?

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Bears store is selling a framed autographed Nick Foles picture if any of you want one 

Bet even Nick Foles was stunned that was an item.  Thinking that might be a good gift for my brother in law who got me the Cutler Dolphins jersey.  Literally the funniest thing he's ever done, in fact the only funny thing he's ever done on purpose, and now I can't get rid of it.  

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I need a new painting for my bedroom.

Thinking Foles or A-Rod as a Centaur.   

Tough choice but easy to resolve.

Just ask yourself, " Who would I trust to follow me into their mists of Avalon?"

Answer that, and you'll have both answers. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I absolutely hate that adult conversations are locked or censored. 

It is so antithetical to what are supposed to be our core values.  

I get why.  But I hate it.  

Yep. It sucks, but I get it too. I've had arguments with a bunch of people on here over football and some over politics via PM but I don't have an actual issue with anyone on here but there's no way to think that would work with everyone. Could you imagine how often someone's political comment would get brought up with totally unrelated events in the GDT?  lol

Biggest amount of hate I think I've ever received was sarcastically saying I was gonna vote for Uncle Jesse before the 2016 election on Facebook. Got over 1000 comments, had my comment reported, insults to me and my kids, and so on. One guy was pretty vulgar while telling me Stamos wasn't even a real American, he was born in Italy (wrong on two counts from my intense 5 second wikipedia research. Born in CA and is Greek, not Italian). Like, these are actual adults that are voting and raising children? 🤣

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Yep. It sucks, but I get it too. I've had arguments with a bunch of people on here over football and some over politics via PM but I don't have an actual issue with anyone on here but there's no way to think that would work with everyone. Could you imagine how often someone's political comment would get brought up with totally unrelated events in the GDT?  lol

Biggest amount of hate I think I've ever received was sarcastically saying I was gonna vote for Uncle Jesse before the 2016 election on Facebook. Got over 1000 comments, had my comment reported, insults to me and my kids, and so on. One guy was pretty vulgar while telling me Stamos wasn't even a real American, he was born in Italy (wrong on two counts from my intense 5 second wikipedia research. Born in CA and is Greek, not Italian). Like, these are actual adults that are voting and raising children? 🤣

I say nothing political on Facebook - I may have a long time ago.  And I deleted my Twitter last year.

I have been debating online since shortly after AOL only days.   I go back to Little Green Footballs if anyone remembers that place before it went nuts.  It was a really good place to talk for a year or two on any subject.  People on all sides.   

Used to be some super smart people that posted there.  Professionals.  It was always fun and sharpened what your views were because you had to defend them against people making reasoned arguments.  

It was nothing like how it is now.   In last 5 years - the other is the enemy - at very least he should be fired from his job or his business boycotted and for some they would want you dead.   For an opinion.  And what the right or correct opinion is changes a lot of time.  

And people feel righteous about it.   I blame mainly the Twitter format and its rise in popularity and how it incentivized extreme views for followings.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I say nothing political on Facebook - I may have a long time ago.  And I deleted my Twitter last year.

I have been debating online since shortly after AOL only days.   I go back to Little Green Footballs if anyone remembers that place before it went nuts.  It was a really good place to talk for a year or two on any subject.  People on all sides.   

Used to be some super smart people that posted there.  Professionals.  It was always fun and sharpened what your views were because you had to defend them against people making reasoned arguments.  

It was nothing like how it is now.   In last 5 years - the other is the enemy - at very least he should be fired from his job or his business boycotted and for some they would want you dead.   For an opinion.  And what the right or correct opinion is changes a lot of time.  

And people feel righteous about it.   I blame mainly the Twitter format and its rise in popularity and how it incentivized extreme views for followings.  

Use Facebook as a marketing tool and so people in your extended circle can watch your kids grow up.

Don't use it for opinions.  

10 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Use Facebook as a marketing tool and so people in your extended circle can watch your kids grow up.

Don't use it for opinions.  

If you're concerned at all about privacy, I would even be careful of the first part of that.  A privately hosted web album that you share with specific people is a whole lot better. I've tried pretty hard to keep my kids and their images off socail until they're old enough to decide for themselves.  Pretty sure everything we've ever put on Facebook is stored for future use. 

Had a former client who was a fascinating businessman having been really successful in telecom in e Europe and other places before getting into luxury real estate in FL, and really spent a lot of time pondering what the future would look like. We used to drive together for his projects rather than fly just so we could have long talks about business and tech (plus he had a fleet of some of my dream cars that he didn't mind me driving!).  He died a few years ago but he always thought that the end game for a lot of tech companies who were getting every bit of data via location, voice and photo was to be able to have a virtual universe based on your real one,  which seems to be what Facebook wants to make in it's clumsy and creepy way.  

And that's just the companies, end users a ******* weirdoes too.  I once had a fun little blog for a race team and had a customer visit my office. Couldn't figure out why he was there as he was from CA and couldn't figure out what he wanted until he started asking all these questions about our team, and then honing in on one particular girl.  Very disturbing and unpleasant to realize what people think is OK once info is out there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

If you're concerned at all about privacy, I would even be careful of the first part of that.  A privately hosted web album that you share with specific people is a whole lot better. I've tried pretty hard to keep my kids and their images off socail until they're old enough to decide for themselves.  Pretty sure everything we've ever put on Facebook is stored for future use. 

Had a former client who was a fascinating businessman having been really successful in telecom in e Europe and other places before getting into luxury real estate in FL, and really spent a lot of time pondering what the future would look like. We used to drive together for his projects rather than fly just so we could have long talks about business and tech (plus he had a fleet of some of my dream cars that he didn't mind me driving!).  He died a few years ago but he always thought that the end game for a lot of tech companies who were getting every bit of data via location, voice and photo was to be able to have a virtual universe based on your real one,  which seems to be what Facebook wants to make in it's clumsy and creepy way.  

And that's just the companies, end users a ******* weirdoes too.  I once had a fun little blog for a race team and had a customer visit my office. Couldn't figure out why he was there as he was from CA and couldn't figure out what he wanted until he started asking all these questions about our team, and then honing in on one particular girl.  Very disturbing and unpleasant to realize what people think is OK once info is out there. 

I have a Pixar phone and its quite clear it listens to everything I say because I get crazy targeted ads.

I use google photos and google email so they have everything already.

Its a brave new world.  I can be taken down or out anytime or black mailed or whatever.

37 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I have a Pixar phone

Chatter Telephone | Kids toys for christmas, Disney toys, Toy story party

Not just listening, watching with those cold, dead eyes.

The targeted ads thing is unnerving.  Read an explanation for it that essentially said "it's not actually listening, but rather doing some intense cross referencing with everyone's phone that you get near" and was left thinking as to whether that was meant to reassure or..? Have definitely talked about weird stuff and then had it pop up on my mobile.  A 40mm box wrench you say?  Everyone's looking for those, not at all creepy that you asked someone to look in a drawer for one. South Padre island vacations?  Everyone gets that ad, not just because you were chatting about beaches.  This brave new world sucks, I want my jetpack.

Also: it seems my account is unkillable without some major transgression, and while it would be fun to pick a random fight on here for no reason beyond getting kicked off... I need a new username for various reasons, any suggestions?  I recently saw someone  who pasted a twitter post but without embedding properly, so it changed those stupid "Bear Down" emojis into "Bear Face Down Arrow" which frankly sounds like a kickass Comanche name or something. Any ideas?  

• Like 2

You guys ever watch the Netflix documentary “The Social Dilemma”?  It’s composed of a bunch of former high level employees from different social media platforms telling all about the different algorithms they use to learn about you.  It’s pretty scary stuff, but definitely worth the watch.