Random Thoughts - 2022 Jan - to the Draft

dll2000

On 2/8/2022 at 7:26 AM, dll2000 said:

I was thinking.

Let’s say it’s 2002 and I am coach of Cleveland Cavs.  Let’s say the GM is a different race than me as well  

My GM comes to me and says, “I don’t really care what you do, but the greatest basketball prospect in history is from this city.  If I don’t have most ping pong balls come draft time there is going to be a problem between us.  I know losing sucks, don’t worry you will be compensated and we won’t forsake you.”

Then I say in my head.  Screw that guy.  The integrity of game is at stake. And I go out and win 25 games or whatever.  

Who is the bad guy in that scenario and who is the good?  

As the HC my job and my obligation to the players dictates that I have to go out and do my best to win for them, their families, my coaches, and their families.  

As GM on the other hand, I can make the worst possible team to try to ensure that #1 overall pick regardless of how hard my HC is trying.  

That is how teams tank.  Go back to that 2019 season, and look at the roster, we all thought that team was going 0-16 bc there was no talent.  Somehow Brian Flores coached that team (with by far the worst roster in the NFL) to 5 wins.  That was miraculous.  2020, with QB malpractice they won 10 games.  This year they won 9 by winning 7/8 to finish the season.  On the field, it is unquestionable that Flores was an good football coach.  But relationships are part of the game, and it's becoming more apparent by the day that Flores was not good at that aspect of the job.

15 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t think it’s the tanking that’s the issue for most - I think it’s that it was allegedly being financially incentivized. 

I know.  

But what I am saying is when a coach is told to tank, as obviously many are in many sports, it doesn’t usually go public what is said or promised during that conversation. It never has before now (assuming Flores is telling truth). 

For many in media to be clutching pearls now seems disingenuous. Some aren’t thinking it through. Some are just pouring gasoline on a fire.  And I think some are willing partners in a narrative for others interest, namely people wanting to buy an NFL team.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

As the HC my job and my obligation to the players dictates that I have to go out and do my best to win for them, their families, my coaches, and their families.  

As GM on the other hand, I can make the worst possible team to try to ensure that #1 overall pick regardless of how hard my HC is trying.  

That is how teams tank.  Go back to that 2019 season, and look at the roster, we all thought that team was going 0-16 bc there was no talent.  Somehow Brian Flores coached that team (with by far the worst roster in the NFL) to 5 wins.  That was miraculous.  2020, with QB malpractice they won 10 games.  This year they won 9 by winning 7/8 to finish the season.  On the field, it is unquestionable that Flores was an good football coach.  But relationships are part of the game, and it's becoming more apparent by the day that Flores was not good at that aspect of the job.

Maybe for some teams.  

But I think often that is the Kabuki theatre and the balance a coach has to walk so it doesn’t get to level of point shaving and you don’t get a total player rebellion.  

A GM can’t completely strip a team to be unwinnable at all or you can’t come back from it.

The coach knows and if you start winning too much there will be a problem.  

When Cavs won a game the stupid GM started yelling at coach in front of reporters and players about it.   Why GM be yelling if coach was just playing his role?  He should have just made team worse and it’s his fault.  They don’t look at it that way.

This is the exact plot of the 80s movie Major League.  The manager decided to win against express wishes of owner and GM to tank and be a hero.   

Cooper Kupp had zero college scholarship offers.  Zero.   

This despite both his dad and grandfather having played in NFL.   I would have probably offered knowing that fact alone.  

Stereotypes effect everyone.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Cooper Kupp had zero college scholarship offers.  Zero.   

This despite both his dad and grandfather having played in NFL.   I would have probably offered knowing that fact alone.  

Stereotypes effect everyone.

Don’t think for a minute that hasn’t fueled him every day for the past 10 years. Adversity doesn’t define you - it reveals you.

• Like 1

Missed an interview today because the recruiter didn't send me the microsoft teams link... or answer my email... or answer my call.   Got a call 30 mins after the interview was suppose to start (asking where I was),  I forwarded them the email showing that there was nothing specific given and screenshot of my email and calls to her,  and then pulled my name out of the running. 

You wonder why your faculty has issues... I'm not fighting to fix a place that has incompetent recruiters and HR. Getting people to work and buy into your changes is hard enough,  having those two areas work against you due to stupidity is too much. 

11 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Missed an interview today because the recruiter didn't send me the microsoft teams link... or answer my email... or answer my call.   Got a call 30 mins after the interview was suppose to start (asking where I was),  I forwarded them the email showing that there was nothing specific given and screenshot of my email and calls to her,  and then pulled my name out of the running. 

You wonder why your faculty has issues... I'm not fighting to fix a place that has incompetent recruiters and HR. Getting people to work and buy into your changes is hard enough,  having those two areas work against you due to stupidity is too much. 

Aren’t the recruiters separate? I think a lot of them work on commission and have nothing to do with the employer.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Aren’t the recruiters separate? I think a lot of them work on commission and have nothing to do with the employer.  

Usually but their address was on-site in the email and had the same area code. Maybe they had a phone provided from here? I doubt it though. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Usually but their address was on-site in the email and had the same area code. Maybe they had a phone provided from here? I doubt it though. 

I was just talking to my younger sister who is job hunting at moment and getting extremely frustrated by her interviews and interview questions.   She finds she doesn't want to work with some people based on those questions.

I just got her set up with some realtor friends to see if that is something that would be good for her.       

When I interview people, I am being asked to do this now,  I will already know what they can do before they get there or they wouldn't have the interview. 

I am just looking to see if they are a personality fit.   Because environment and culture is huge.   I don't care if you are a super genius, if you are an *** who can't get along with others, a malcontent, selfish, hyper sensitive, or some other extreme, you are a cancer.  

This is my last stop though.   My next job, if any, will be for myself.  

Good luck buddy.   Praying for you.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I was just talking to my younger sister who is job hunting at moment and getting extremely frustrated by her interviews and interview questions.   She finds she doesn't want to work with some people based on those questions.

I just got her set up with some realtor friends to see if that is something that would be good for her.       

When I interview people, I am being asked to do this now,  I will already know what they can do before they get there or they wouldn't have the interview. 

I am just looking to see if they are a personality fit.   Because environment and culture is huge.   I don't care if you are a super genius, if you are an *** who can't get along with others, a malcontent, selfish, hyper sensitive, or some other extreme, you are a cancer.  

This is my last stop though.   My next job, if any, will be for myself.  

Good luck buddy.   Praying for you.  

Pretty much exactly what I did for any position that wasn't entry level  

Appreciate it. I just accepted a job where I'll be traveling every other month and be off for a month. Even negotiated a 12 month exception for promotional opportunities due to work history and education markers so pay isn't great to start but can get damn good.  Might do something on my time home that is commission based or just help my brother on his construction group since I know I have guaranteed income. If I don't like it... I'm not under contract and have 30 days to find something else. Lol. 

Small towns are nice and relaxed but suck for really good jobs. *shrugs* 

• Like 2

On 2/16/2022 at 4:19 PM, Sugashane said:

Pretty much exactly what I did for any position that wasn't entry level  

Appreciate it. I just accepted a job where I'll be traveling every other month and be off for a month. Even negotiated a 12 month exception for promotional opportunities due to work history and education markers so pay isn't great to start but can get damn good.  Might do something on my time home that is commission based or just help my brother on his construction group since I know I have guaranteed income. If I don't like it... I'm not under contract and have 30 days to find something else. Lol. 

Small towns are nice and relaxed but suck for really good jobs. *shrugs* 

Well it didn't take you long to find work.   Nice!

• Like 1