Dune: Part 2 (Villeneuve}

vike daddy

Director Denis Villeneuve has provided a promising update on the development of the highly anticipated sequel Dune: Part Two. While speaking on The Hollywood Reporter’s Awards Chatter podcast, the filmmaker has revealed that the screenplay for the follow-up is nearing completion and that he is currently enjoying being at the more unfettered imaginative stage of production before moving forward with the more realistic stages of development.

Villeneuve “Right now, I’m in what you call ‘soft prep,’ meaning that we are finishing the screenplay. We’ll start storyboards soon. Dune Part 2 is being designed right now by production designer Patrice Vermette. It’s that beautiful part where it’s just dreaming, looking at the ceiling and thinking about the movie, I love it. I mean, it’s like the moment where everything is possible, before we have the shock of reality that will come.”

Dune: Part Two is due to be released on October 20, 2023, with the movie expected to begin filming from July 2022.

https://movieweb.com/dune-part-two-director-update-sequel-production/?utm_source=MW-FB-P&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=MW-FB-P&fbclid=IwAR38CNG5y-eip5wfKWJ4YB42LDvGAWoT4PPuE5M-aofPBvg2aNDp-eoQbLA

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Austin Butler is in talks to join the cast of Denis Villeneuve’s “Dune: Part 2” as the villainous Feyd-Rautha, the sadistic nephew of Baron Vladimir Harkonnen (Stellan Skarsgård) and the heir to the Harkonnen empire. The role is one of the most important new characters appearing in “Dune: Part 2.” A source close to the project told Variety that Butler is in “the very early stages” of joining the film. Butler joins the franchise alongside Florence Pugh, who was announced earlier this week as being in final negotiations as Princess Irulan.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/austin-butler-dune-part-2-feyd-rautha-1235201239/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Legendary and Warner Bros. Dune franchise has found its Emperor Shaddam. Deadline reports that Christopher Walken has been cast in Denis Villeneuve’s highly anticipated sequel for the sci-fi series.

Walken joins recently announced cast members Florence Pugh, who’ll play the Emperor’s daughter, Princess Irulan, and Austin Butler, who nabbed the villain role of Feyd-Rautha of House Harkonnen. The returning ensemble from last year’s Dune: Part One includes Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Zendaya, and Josh Brolin.

Villeneuve: “The good news is that a lot of the work has been done already regarding design, casting, locations, and writing. So we’re not starting from scratch. It’s not a long period of time, but I will try to face that challenge because it’s important for me that the audience sees Part Two as soon as possible. It’s not a sequel where it’s another episode or another story with the same characters. It actually has direct continuity to the first movie. It’s the second part of the big huge movie that I’m trying to do. So the sooner the better.”

https://gizmodo.com/dune-2-christopher-walken-emperor-shaddam-1848917627?utm_campaign=io9&utm_content=&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3aPDIBsl7DR2oeZ5tzTVvhYg7EgjOU7Xumy_IP_QDc-WSxAN5VxD7t6Jw

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

The Dune universe began last year with the first installment in the expanding franchise from Denis Villeneuve. Dune was a massive hit with an ensemble cast. Now, audiences will be taken back 10,000 years before the events of Dune in an upcoming spinoff from HBO Max. Dune: The Sisterhood is set to begin filming next month in Budapest, Hungary, according to reports from Deadline. The forthcoming sequel to the feature film, Dune: Part Two is shooting alongside The Sisterhood, with Villeneuve recently returning to Origo Studios, where the majority of the first movie was shot.

The series will follow the Harkonnen Sisters as they combat forces that threaten the future of humankind and establish the fabled sect known as Bene Gesserit, according to Deadline's report. The show is adapted from the novel Sisterhood Of Dune by authors Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. Villeneuve, who previously worked on Arrival and Prisoners, will act as an executive producer. Diane Ademu-John is the creator, writer, co-showrunner and will also serve as an EP on the project. Johan Renck, director of several episodes of Breaking Bad, Chernobyl, and The Walking Dead, will helm the first episode of Dune: The Sisterhood. Given the 2023 release date for Dune: Part Two, fans should expect the HBO Max series to arrive sometime around then.

https://movieweb.com/dune-the-sisterhood-series-to-begin-filming-next-month-for-hbo-max/?utm_source=MW-FB-P&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=MW-FB-P&fbclid=IwAR1UlbjJfB_Nj7d5S0SsC0lTVD_0Q1S82_mEwbpVCoqoEa-FUs8R1jzPSeg

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Because Dune 2 is the end of Dune.

It's a single novel broken into two movies.

I'm not holding my breath for adaptations of any other Dune novels.

...Just days after Warner Bros. and Legendary greenlit “Dune: Part Two” – an adaptation of the second half of Frank Herbert’s sci-fi novel to continue the story that Villeneuve began in the just-released “Dune” – the “Arrival” filmmaker says his dream is to ultimately make at least three “Dune” movies to tell the complete story of Timothée Chalamet’s Paul Atreides.

“I always envisioned three movies,” Villeneuve told EW. “It’s not that I want to do a franchise, but this is ‘Dune,’ and ‘Dune’ is a huge story. In order to honor it, I think you would need at least three movies. That would be the dream. To follow Paul Atreides and his full arc would be nice.”...

For Villeneuve, though, his dream third film would adapt the second book in the series, “Dune Messiah"...

Source

There's potential but I imagine they'll wait to see how Dune 2 does.

Edited by kingseanjohn
  • Like 1

I still say the original Dune was better than this remake, the villain Baron was WAY better in the original and one could argue that it was visually better as well.  Sure had some cheesy parts because when it was made but the new one had way more resources but was just simply dark to save money on the budget like every film seems to do now a days.

Stellan Skarsgard as the Baron in the new one, he kind of sucked especially when compared to the original Baron.  

I must say with all the green backgrounds and leather shinny jackets/sunglasses, sure looks like The Matrix and Dark City stole that look from the original 1984 Dune that is for sure.  Very similar styles and despite not having great graphic ability there are many scenes in the original Dune which are very good.  Has that Neo Noir look that other films absolutely built off of.  All based off a book written in 1965, that is wildly impressive I must say.  The old one laid out the story right away WAY better than the new one which had really slow and uninteresting parts you had to almost already know what is going on before hand to get it.  

• 1 month later...

Returning director Denis Villeneuve also notes in an interview with Empire that the sequel will see a significant shift in focus towards the all-powerful Harkonnens, the villainous empire who violently unseated House Atreides in the first film.

Villeneuve: “Some new characters will be introduced in the second part, and a decision I made very early on was that this first part would be more about Paul Atreides and the Bene Gesserit, and his experience of being in contact for the first time with a different culture. Second part, there will be much more Harkonnen stuff.”

Dune Part Two is currently in the last leg of production, and is still on track for its new release date in theaters on November 3rd, 2023.

https://movieweb.com/timothe-chalamet-teases-pauls-return-in-dune-part-two/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=EchoBox&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1EqT48JzRaRxvd1PBSZOFl8pJG_B2_x3Gy5LVeLh6XbPwUs_tnjgTWaXY#Echobox=1670039406

• Like 1