How do you feel about Bill now?

Hunter2_1

15 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Not a reactionary question, I'm just curious as to your answers to this question, as a staunch IBWT guy.

Since Tom left, we're 17-17.

- We tend to beat teams we should (Jets x 4, Jags, Raiders, Texans, Panthers, Browns)

- We tend to lose to teams you'd expect us to (Cowboys, Rams, Bills x3, Bucs etc).

- We've also had games where we've pulled out an upset or it's considered a good win (Chargers, Ravens, Bills x1, Titans possibly)

- We have the occasional wtf game (Dolphins, Saints, Texans, Broncos)

...I'm concerned 4 of the 17 wins are Jets.

We've had a clear shift to a more power-based offense, (we are 3rd in 2-1 personnel usage, one of only 6 teams that haven't used 0-1 (4WR) formation this season etc) at a time where you see teams like KC and Buffalo and LAR and Tampa and Cinci in the middle of the playoffs. Is this because of personnel we happen to have? Or has this been a clear purposeful shift...a zig whilst others zag?

We are ranked high on defense, statistically, and I do feel like our coaching in the secondary is elite. However, we can also be undone badly like Buffalo x2. Our front 7 have NOT been fixed, despite the acquisitions 

Won't mention drafting here much, but there's been some questionable picks. I do think the most recent draft is his best for a while though.....

I trust Bill, I think he's a genius. But is the NFL passing him by now? Has the zigging begin to look a bit silly? 

Last year the Patriots had the toughest schedule in the NFL, had no money to spend, rebuilding, and had no QB, to win 7 games was actually not bad. This year they started a rookie at the hardest and most important position in the NFL. Buffalo has been in rebuild mode for since 1999, two winning seasons from 1999 to 2018, there were a lot of high draft picks to work with. Belichick is the best coach in NFL history, and nothing has passed him by. Also, it never concerned me that the Patriots were 28-7 against the Jets with Brady at QB.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 1:37 PM, Deadpulse said:

I hate the sentiment that beating teams they should be is a bad thing. Especially in this conversation. 

who has pushed this sentiment? It was merely an obeservation. I think it's a good thing. Far better than losing to them

17 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Just the question posed by the author of this thread.

And it's being taken down a totally different avenue 

I am asking if we're concerned with BB, going forward. Do we have the horses to compete soon and be back up there? This is BB, this is New England. Do we just resign ourselves to the fact that we beat the teams we should and that's it? Or do we want/expect to get back in to AFC CG contention. If so, is BB doing the right things? Is this team building philopshy good enough to take it to Buffalo over the next 10 years? Again, let's remind ourselves this is the GOAT coach....we need to get back up there

I'm specifically wondering what people think of our offensive game planning now, whilst we watch potent offenses prosper in the playoffs. Is this strategy holding us back?

Edited by Hunter2_1

12 hours ago, jofos said:

Last year the Patriots had the toughest schedule in the NFL, had no money to spend, rebuilding, and had no QB, to win 7 games was actually not bad. This year they started a rookie at the hardest and most important position in the NFL. Buffalo has been in rebuild mode for since 1999, two winning seasons from 1999 to 2018, there were a lot of high draft picks to work with. Belichick is the best coach in NFL history, and nothing has passed him by. Also, it never concerned me that the Patriots were 28-7 against the Jets with Brady at QB.

Agree with this.

I have concerns with our offensive philosophy going forward though. I don't think it will be possible to win games against offenses that can put up 40 and score length of field TDs with 56 seconds left like it's nothing.

Feels like it's going to have to be toe-to-toe in the NFL now, shootout style

Still too early to ask this question IMO.  One down year, then 10 wins.  If we regress next year, then the seeds will be planted.  If there's no vertical movement in Mac's 3rd year, I think we question what's going on.  It's vital that we start trending to contend for the division while we still have the freedom of that rookie QB deal.  

He fielded a competitive team that was in the playoff race until the very end with a washed up Cam Newton and the most COVID opt outs.

He made the playoffs year 2 into rebuilding with a rookie QB.

Be patient.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SBLIII said:

all things considered playoffs with Mac year 1 is good.

Next year is the important year, we need to see improvements towards being a real contender.

Do you think with our team building strategy we seem to be employing that we can do this?

I agree BB has done a great job with the tools He has. But he brings these tools in, no? Do we really want to build a 2-1 personnel team in this day and age?

On 1/26/2022 at 4:17 PM, biggie. said:

He fielded a competitive team that was in the playoff race until the very end with a washed up Cam Newton and the most COVID opt outs.

He made the playoffs year 2 into rebuilding with a rookie QB.

Be patient.

I have no idea how he does it. Most teams with that roster (2020) would win 4 games max

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

I have an uninspiring level of faith in BB the GM to get this right. I think I'd put it at a 55% chance of working put versus a 45% chance of plateauing or regressing.

And PFWA think he's NFL Executive of the Year...