Lord of the Rings TV Confirmed for Amazon

MacReady

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/900839-amazon-in-early-talks-for-lord-of-the-rings-tv-series

Variety reports that Warner Bros. and The Tolkein estate have been quietly shopping around a television series based on J.R.R. Tolkein’s The Lord of the Rings book series and after interest from multiple parties Amazon has emerged as the front runner for the series’ home. The outlet notes that no deal has been set and that talks are still early; however, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is reportedly “personally involved in the negotiations” for the series.

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/902705-confirmed-amazon-to-adapt-j-r-r-tolkiens-the-lord-of-the-rings

It's been confirmed. 

Just now, OleXmad said:

Knowing how a TV series ends kind of ruins the point of a TV series.

I agree with this completely, which is why it's so interesting to me.  I can't imagine LotR fans are loyal enough/interested enough to keep this show afloat. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I agree with this completely, which is why it's so interesting to me.  I can't imagine LotR fans are loyal enough/interested enough to keep this show afloat. 

Not really true, doesn't take away from movies at all so why would it for a TV show? Would watch this no doubt.

Just now, O'Doyle Rules said:

Not really true, doesn't take away from movies at all so why would it for a TV show? Would watch this no doubt.

The difference between movies and TV shows is that a lot of people don't read.  How many people do you know that have read LotR?  How many people do you know that have seen LotR?  See my point? 

That's not the issue anyway.  My point is that there's already been a big adaptation of it, so I don't know how many people will be interested in a new one.  But like I also said, I'm interested, so there must be others, which is why I find it interesting to see which theory will hold up. 

I would be interested in this. While I think Lord of the Rings movies are fantastic adaptations, there were a number of things that absolutely needed to be changed because those movies were already long enough and in a movie format you can't do certain things and have it make as much sense. I'm also not sure that I really need it because the movies are really enjoyable.

Just now, fretgod99 said:

Tom Bombadil was a perfectly fine cut for the movies. He's boring af.

I agree completely, except... A lot of characters in LotR are boring if they were perfect adaptations.  Bombadil was interesting enough as a character that he could be turned into a really cool character with a few light changes or additions.  The interesting thing with a TV series would be how much further you could take certain scenes/plots/characters. 

7 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I agree completely, except... A lot of characters in LotR are boring if they were perfect adaptations.  Bombadil was interesting enough as a character that he could be turned into a really cool character with a few light changes or additions.  The interesting thing with a TV series would be how much further you could take certain scenes/plots/characters. 

You could do that with a tv show. But honestly, he does virtually nothing for the overarching plot (especially one that's relevant to a streamline movie plot). So he was a sensible cut for the movies.

Still not sure how I'd feel about a tv show. I think it'd have to be smaller scale with respect to the larger story (kind of like how Agents of SHIELD fits in with the MCU). There's definitely room, but wouldn't necessarily be easy to pull off.

As a guy who loved the movies, I can't see myself giving the show any of my time. The story's been told. The three prequels kind of ruined any good feeling I had about the universe.

I'm sure this wouldn't be related to the movies at all. But there's too many good shows that I'm behind on as it is. Plus I imagine the budget would be too high to sustain a good, quality show.

I love the story, but it was just done, pretty well IMO, 15 years ago.  The only way I would like to see this is a full-on true to the books adaptations, though that would never fly with only 2 female characters that are important to the events of the story.  If there were 10 hour long episodes for each book, there would still be some episodes that were not entertaining to watch.  I would love a scouring of the Shire episode, and a proper Hobbit telling, but it seems pretty niche.  Does the non Tolkien fan really want more Middle Earth, when the story was told so recently? 

Archived