Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

5 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Why do you think Kafka is the guy for us at OC if Quinn or Eberflus comes in as HC?  Kafka sounds like he has potential but he could be another Matt Nagy for all we know.  Reid protégé with no play calling experience...

Talk is that Mike McDaniel of the 49ers could actually be Quinn's guy for us at OC due to his connection to Shanahan and both having been on Quinn's Falcons staff.  Ben Albright floated this out so it's not just me speculating.

If so then I would be real excited about Quinn

Kafka and Quinn share an agent...Eberflus has all the connections to Poles & Ballard who obviously have a lot of connections to the Chiefs...lots of the beat guys talking about Kafka as a possibility...

McDaniel could be a great hire as well...a lot of Pete Carmichael to him...great mind but I am not sure he would ever be an HC which would be a positive. 

28 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I just get the impression they think Quinn & Eberflus offer more in terms of the overall culture...

Strongly disagree here. Caldwell had the Lions of all teams in the playoffs. He made that team respectable for the 1st time in about 15 years. He's won Super Bowls with 2 organizations. He's worked with Dungy, Harbaugh, etc.

Caldwell is probably more proven at building a team culture than either Quinn or Eberflus. The only downside with him is age. But if he coaches for 5-6 years and builds Fields into a superstar, the Bears won't have any trouble hiring the next coach.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Strongly disagree here. Caldwell had the Lions of all teams in the playoffs. He made that team respectable for the 1st time in about 15 years. He's won Super Bowls with 2 organizations. He's worked with Dungy, Harbaugh, etc.

Caldwell is probably more proven at building a team culture than either Quinn or Eberflus. The only downside with him is age. But if he coaches for 5-6 years and builds Fields into a superstar, the Bears won't have any trouble hiring the next coach.

I think that is a fair point...but also look at the fact that he went there 8 years ago...he has also been out football since 2019...there are reasons for that...he has health concerns and is 67 years old...culture is about getting amongst people and bringing energy and intensity...watch Eberflus or Quinn mic'ed up on the practice field...they are in the middle of it...Caldwell can't offer us that...as I said before if he was 10 years younger I think he would be closer to this job.

1 minute ago, abstract_thought said:

Agree with a lot of this.

Plus with having a QB on a rookie deal like we do with Fields, you want to maximize these next few years under a rookie contract where you don't have to hand him a huge contract like the Chiefs have taken advantage of with Mahomes when they won the SB two years ago.

If we hire Caldwell and he gets the best out of Fields these next few years then it won't matter if/when we need to hire a new HC if/when Caldwell decides to call it a career whether by choice or for health reasons, etc. because at that point Fields will hypothetically already be really good, which would open up potentially even better options at HC down the line.

And if Fields isn't it then you start this whole process over anyways in 2-4 years from now.

• Like 1

Just now, dll2000 said:

Why are there already finalists when Poles was just hired?

Shouldn't he need a bit of time? Or does he just want to go with Bears finalists?

He will have already had his ideas of who he wanted as HC...

Plus all the first interviews will have been recorded so he will have those to refer too.