Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Anyone else starting to get a bit concerned about these HC candidates overall? Every team seems happy for guys to go and take interviews everywhere else right now...would love to see us being decisive when we know our guy is our guy and let everyone else seemingly pass up locking in hires.

I think one domino needs to fall. 

Right now it sounds like a lot of agents trying to massage the market.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Anyone else starting to get a bit concerned about these HC candidates overall? Every team seems happy for guys to go and take interviews everywhere else right now...would love to see us being decisive when we know our guy is our guy and let everyone else seemingly pass up locking in hires.

Im not worried about it. The bar had been set low already from previous regimes, if Poles is even competent he can get someone better than Nagy. If not it'll be a few years and we can send off another pair of scrubs. Lol

Honestly if he had signed one of the three reported finalists immediately I would have been been more concerned. Would have felt like George got his hand in one more decision that he clearly lacks any ability in. At this point I feel more like Poles is doing his own due diligence. 

• Like 1

I've been seeing alot of Bears Twitter after it was announced the interviews were done today that they need to expand the list. Why does Poles absolutely need to? Who's to say these aren't the guys he's chosen after researching the almost a dozen coaching interviews they did via zoom. All the guys Bears Twitter is clamoring for are guys theyve already interviewed once. The ones I've been seeing alot is Daboll and Flores. Flores seems like either you love him or absolutely hate him. Daboll is interesting. He hasn't been hired yet. Has had multiple second interviews. Something is fishy there. Maybe Kap is right about his staff not being up to par. Either way I don't think the 3 guys we've interviewed are just Polian's guys that we had to interview. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Im not worried about it. The bar had been set low already from previous regimes, if Poles is even competent he can get someone better than Nagy. If not it'll be a few years and we can send off another pair of scrubs. Lol

Honestly if he had signed one of the three reported finalists immediately I would have been been more concerned. Would have felt like George got his hand in one more decision that he clearly lacks any ability in. At this point I feel more like Poles is doing his own due diligence. 

I’d be curious whose tape he’s watching first amongst those recorded first interviews. I’d bet on Daboll and Leftwich. If they went with either (or any of the other first time HCs) I wonder if keeping Mike Pettine on in some capacity makes sense given his HC background. 

2 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

I've been seeing alot of Bears Twitter after it was announced the interviews were done today that they need to expand the list. Why does Poles absolutely need to? Who's to say these aren't the guys he's chosen after researching the almost a dozen coaching interviews they did via zoom. All the guys Bears Twitter is clamoring for are guys theyve already interviewed once. The ones I've been seeing alot is Daboll and Flores. Flores seems like either you love him or absolutely hate him. Daboll is interesting. He hasn't been hired yet. Has had multiple second interviews. Something is fishy there. Maybe Kap is right about his staff not being up to par. Either way I don't think the 3 guys we've interviewed are just Polian's guys that we had to interview. 

If there are no more interviews and one of these guys is hired I’d expect Poles will say something along the lines of “I told the committee who I wanted to interview so they set the list for me.” If they add more interviews and one of those guys is the hire then it’ll be implicit. The wording in the team notifications of completed interviews is clearly being worded to give off that this is Poles’ show from here on out though, as it should be. 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

I’d be curious whose tape he’s watching first amongst those recorded first interviews. I’d bet on Daboll and Leftwich. If they went with either (or any of the other first time HCs) I wonder if keeping Mike Pettine on in some capacity makes sense given his HC background. 

That or shelling out top Coordinator money for someone like Fangio to be the Assistant Head Coach and own that side of the ball. Ive been pretty outspoken that is the path I prefer. Give the offensive HC the reins pn offense, the defensive AHC the reins on defense and let the HC grow into his role. McVay got that and while it flopped with Nagy it only flopped because Nagy sucked... The formula outside of him wasnt an issue. 

Hopefully the new HC surrounds himself with experience and hopefully Poles surrounds himself with a load of it too. 

8 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

That or shelling out top Coordinator money for someone like Fangio to be the Assistant Head Coach and own that side of the ball. Ive been pretty outspoken that is the path I prefer. Give the offensive HC the reins pn offense, the defensive AHC the reins on defense and let the HC grow into his role. McVay got that and while it flopped with Nagy it only flopped because Nagy sucked... The formula outside of him wasnt an issue. 

Hopefully the new HC surrounds himself with experience and hopefully Poles surrounds himself with a load of it too. 

Yeah an offensive HC and an experienced DC with HC experience is what I’d prefer too. 

2 hours ago, GOGRIESE said:

Exactly my thoughts on this as well.

One would think that Poles has been preparing for this very moment leading up to this offseason and had to have had a general idea of the specific coaches he wanted to interview if he were to become a GM.

I think the three finalists mentioned are guys he's genuinely interested in.

Whether there's more to come ..I guess we'll find out

6 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Clearly been thinking about this way too much...had a dream last night and the hire was Caldwell 😂

lmao that wouldn't be a bad hire

You gotta get someone who is going to nurture Justin. 

At least now you've got Poles who has been exposed to supplying your QB with the right resources. Now you just have to get the coach that understand the coaching side of making that happen. 

If you don't go offensive HC you gotta get the right coordinator. Someone who will be happy being the coordinator or 7 years. You dont want to hire at guy thats going to be a HC soon. 

Daboll man. I think he could build an offense for Justin. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think one domino needs to fall. 

Right now it sounds like a lot of agents trying to massage the market.

That's sort of my point...no one seems to want to play the first domino...that makes me wonder if all these franchises have real doubts.

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

lmao that wouldn't be a bad hire

You gotta get someone who is going to nurture Justin. 

At least now you've got Poles who has been exposed to supplying your QB with the right resources. Now you just have to get the coach that understand the coaching side of making that happen. 

If you don't go offensive HC you gotta get the right coordinator. Someone who will be happy being the coordinator or 7 years. You dont want to hire at guy thats going to be a HC soon. 

Daboll man. I think he could build an offense for Justin. 

Daboll was many of our first choice but it seems like there is very little interest from ownership at least...maybe Poles changes that...the reported staff issues if true are a concern for sure but I do agree he could build an excellent scheme here...

I think all three of our current finalists would be pretty good...wouldn't be mad with anyone...wouldn't be completely over the moon either until I saw the staffs...still think Quinn is the guy we want...Eberflus is the fall back...Caldwell is probably being interviewed because he is the type of leader we want...really wish he was 10-15 years younger...that said the win percentage of 3rd time HCs is horrible.

17 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Maybe they were. 

My point is your ready list for your interview for the GM job may be different from guys you have actually had an in depth conversation/interview with.

I mean how many guys did he actually interview to create his ready list?  How informal or formal were those interviews?

Now you can do a formal interview as the official GM of the Bears and it can be as long as you want it - it is different from being candidate Poles calling a dude and asking him questions or just knowing his resume.

lol