Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Daboll was many of our first choice but it seems like there is very little interest from ownership at least...maybe Poles changes that...the reported staff issues if true are a concern for sure but I do agree he could build an excellent scheme here...

This would honestly surprise me tbh. Besides having worked under Saban and Belichick, he’s got direct ties (same team at the same time) to several prior and presently unemployed DCs should he want to move on from Desai (Rob Ryan, Mike Nolan, Romeo Crennel, Matt Patricia, Brian Flores, and potentially Patrick Graham depending on what happens with the Giants), and he was on staff with Joe Judge in NE as a potential ST coach should Tabor leave. Now, I don’t LOVE all those guys by any stretch, but it’s a pretty extensive network of candidates with whom he’s had a direct working relationship IMO, and that’s just the ones we know he knows. Add in that were he to hire any of those guys he also gains their networks from which to fill out the rest of the staff too, plus one would think Poles’ own network. 

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

This would honestly surprise me tbh. Besides having worked under Saban and Belichick, he’s got direct ties (same team at the same time) to several prior and presently unemployed DCs should he want to move on from Desai (Rob Ryan, Mike Nolan, Romeo Crennel, Matt Patricia, Brian Flores, and potentially Patrick Graham depending on what happens with the Giants), and he was on staff with Joe Judge in NE as a potential ST coach should Tabor leave. Now, I don’t LOVE all those guys by any stretch, but it’s a pretty extensive network of candidates with whom he’s had a direct working relationship IMO, and that’s just the ones we know he knows. Add in that were he to hire any of those guys he also gains their networks from which to fill out the rest of the staff too, plus one would think Poles’ own network. 

I agree...when I looked at the links it seemed he had a ton of people to call on...that said something about Daboll is he used to be a hardass until he got to Buffalo and became a different guy...maybe some of the guys he worked with in the past don't know that guy...or maybe Daboll just really believes in the guys he wants and they aren't household names which are putting some off...Shea Tierney could be a classic example of that...Daboll knows what he does and how important he has been in developing Allen but you ask 90% of people outside of Buffalo and they probably day "who?"...it's a tricky one.

32 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

He's going to be the guy

I agree everything is starting to line up that way...how often does an interview go most of one day and continue into a second without that being the hire? At some point it goes from being an interview to being a strategy meeting.

Who the hell cares that Daboll supposedly doesn't have big or 'good' names on a staff?  

What is Poles for?  Can't he get them? 

Who the hell cares if he (Daboll) doesn't interview good?   Are we hiring him to do cool press conferences or to coach winning football? 

Why don't we draft RBs in first round?  Mainly because of supply and demand.   You can find good enough RBs in middle rounds.

In today's NFL, offense matters more.   You should be hiring the best offensive mind you can possibly hire.   Leader of men.  Bah!   Winning and being good at something is what makes people follow you.  You can be a stuttering dwarf and kick *** like Napoleon and they follow you into hell.

I would be begging McDaniel, Daboll and maybe even Harbaugh to be my coach.  O

Yes, Quinn is a great defensive coach, but there is a greater supply of Quinns.  Just like there is a greater supply of RBs.

Adam Jahns

@adamjahns

1m

We're about to record another Hoge & Jahns. Earlier this week, we had to record two in one day.

He is without doubt hinting that he expects an announcement today at some point...money has to be on Quinn...

Agree to be the HC last night...meet up this morning with ownership to agree the terms of it this morning? Sounds about right to me.

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Who the hell cares that Daboll supposedly doesn't have big or 'good' names on a staff?  

What is Poles for?  Can't he get them? 

Who the hell cares if he (Daboll) doesn't interview good?   Are we hiring him to do cool press conferences or to coach winning football? 

Why don't we draft RBs in first round?  Mainly because of supply and demand.   You can find good enough RBs in middle rounds.

In today's NFL, offense matters more.   You should be hiring the best offensive mind you can possibly hire.   Leader of men.  Bah!   Winning and being good at something is what makes people follow you.  You can be a stuttering dwarf and kick *** like Napoleon and they follow you into hell.

I would be begging McDaniel, Daboll and maybe even Harbaugh to be my coach.  O

Yes, Quinn is a great defensive coach, but there is a greater supply of Quinns.  Just like there is a greater supply of RBs.

With you on all points, except the interview concern.  It's not like there's an obvious home run candidate here, so I can't imagine going with someone who doesn't impress you in person. 

I also disagree that Napoleon stuttered, supposedly the psych conclusion is that he was dyslexic and probably on some sort of spectrum.  

This big fat coaching search is less interesting to me than I thought it would be. After so many failures of coaching and players I'm just hoping they get lucky and the Bears are watchable next year. 

• Like 1

Maybe that long interview with Quinn was just to make sure we had the right guy in Eberflus…

I happy with the pick of Flus…he will bring a toughness and intensity that this team has been lacking for years…now he just needs to nail the OC hire…I am still hoping for Mike Kafka.

• Like 1

We now have a situation so prime for meat-balling that it's going to break the universe.  Be ready to die a little inside every time you see some joke about hiring Matt and Ryan so you could save the nametags, so Virginia wouldn't have to learn new names, so Geroge wouldn't get scared.  It's going to be insufferable. 

• Like 3